Backup Database Can't be Repaired RRS feed

• Question

• Woke up this morning to a WHS critical error.  Logged into the server and I discover a drive has failed.  My WHS (PP2) has 10TB on 1 TB and 1.5 TB drives, with duplication turned on on all shares.   I tried to remove the drive to reformat it...it relocated 95% of the files, but then stopped with a message of files being in use.  

So I have tried to reboot a few times since I am getting a backup service not started error, and the drive shows as healthy now.  But the bcakup service fails to start after each reboot.  I can delete the backup database since I don't have any need to restore my two pc's to an earlier time, but the backup tab will not let me select anything except repair. I tried to repair the database I few times...the progress dialog appears but it quits a few seconds later.  At this point my WHS has file conflicts on shares, and the backup server will not start.  Any ideas on a workflow to get back up and running?

Monday, October 26, 2009 3:44 AM

Answers

• Please try:

1. Try removing the disk again from the console, then reboot.
    2. Try Repair again for the backup db.
    2. If this doesn't fix your problems:

A. For the backup database:
    1. Delete all files from the folder D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}. This may result in an invalid file handle error for one or more files. If this happens:  i)   Open command shell (see A2 above) and type fsutil reparsepoint delete filename and hit Enter (filename is the name of the offending file.
                   ii)  Try deleting again.
                   iii) Repeat if necessary for other files
    2. Reboot, reconfigure backup for all clients.

B. For the file conflicts:
    1. Read this FAQ
    2. You may also find this tool useful

If all else fails run server reinstall, however considering the amount of data you probably have on your server this may take days to finish.

• Marked as answer by bcdal Monday, October 26, 2009 9:22 PM
    Monday, October 26, 2009 1:18 PM

All replies

• Please try:

1. Try removing the disk again from the console, then reboot.
    2. Try Repair again for the backup db.
    2. If this doesn't fix your problems:

A. For the backup database:
    1. Delete all files from the folder D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}. This may result in an invalid file handle error for one or more files. If this happens:  i)   Open command shell (see A2 above) and type fsutil reparsepoint delete filename and hit Enter (filename is the name of the offending file.
                   ii)  Try deleting again.
                   iii) Repeat if necessary for other files
    2. Reboot, reconfigure backup for all clients.

B. For the file conflicts:
    1. Read this FAQ
    2. You may also find this tool useful

If all else fails run server reinstall, however considering the amount of data you probably have on your server this may take days to finish.

• Marked as answer by bcdal Monday, October 26, 2009 9:22 PM
    Monday, October 26, 2009 1:18 PM
  • okay, step 1 worked this time.  I was able to successfully remove the drive.  I rebooted and the backup service is still not started, but no file conflicts exist and it appears I have all my data intact.

Tried step 2 - database repair and it still fails....so I guess I'll try to delete the backup database later today.  Thanks for the help.
    Monday, October 26, 2009 1:29 PM
  • Brubber....deleting the files in the backup database appeared to work.  Started a new backup for my pc's, and server health is green.  File conflicts notices disappeared as well.  Thanks for the help.
    Monday, October 26, 2009 9:22 PM