Intermittent failed server backups RRS feed

• Question

• I asked this question over at the WeGotServed forums didn't get any input.

Has anyone see this behavior with system backups?

This has been happening, like clockwork, for a couple weeks now, every other backup fails with the following errors:

Error in backup of D:\$Extend\$RmMetadata\$TxfLog\ during write: Error [0x80070005] Access is denied.
    Error in backup of D:\$Extend\$RmMetadata\$TxfLog\$TxfLog.blf during write: Error [0x80070005] Access is denied.

I have a backup running once a day, so for example Monday's b/u is fine, Tuesday's errors, Wednesday is fine, Thursday errors etc. etc.

I haven't been able to find anything that specifically address this, anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 3:18 PM

All replies

• Hi,

since this folder does not exist on any one of my Windows 7 client PCs. In some other thread obout this I found the hint to stop and set startup to manual the Distributed Link Tracking Client in the Administrative  Tools/Services applet.

The other option here would be to exclude that folder from backup (or the entire drive - what is drive D:, btw,?).

Best greetings from Germany

Olaf

Thursday, May 19, 2011 4:01 PM
  • Thanks for the response.

My D: drive is just one of my data drives. Actually it just occurred to me that I didn't mention this, This is a WHS 2011 server, and the backup errors are the result of backing up the server, not the clients.

I don't think excluding anything is the answer, for one thing remember it is successful every other run. The other thing is, I don't know what to exclude. I can't exclude the entire drive since without backing it up, there's really no reason to run the backup. I can't exclude the folder(s) noted in the error as they're not real, physical folders.

Friday, May 20, 2011 7:29 PM
  • Oh, that you speak about Server backup in WHS 2011 was not clear to me.

So what would happen, if you stop the mentioned service? (I am not sure, if it plays a role in the WHS concept, but you could try this. I stopped this service on my machine and could at least access the shares and move a folder to another drive, so these basic functions seem not to be affected.)

Olaf

Friday, May 20, 2011 10:55 PM
  • Hmm, not sure I follow you, stop the backup service you mean? How would that effect anything, if I stop the service the backup won't run, then what?

Sunday, May 22, 2011 11:15 AM
  • Hi,

since this folder does not exist on any one of my Windows 7 client PCs. In some other thread obout this I found the hint to stop and set startup to manual the Distributed Link Tracking Client in the Administrative  Tools/Services applet.

This as the answer to which service to stop :-)

Olaf

Monday, May 23, 2011 12:28 PM
  • Ah, ok, got it.

I just stopped the service. This morning's backup ran successfully, which means normally tomorrow's will fail. We'll see what happens with that service disabled.

Thanks

Monday, May 23, 2011 6:23 PM
  • I am having the same issue

The backup operation that started at '‎2011‎-‎05‎-‎25T09:08:39.851459500Z' has failed to back up volume(s) 'C:'. Please review the event details for a solution, and then rerun the backup operation once the issue is resolved.

The details dont give much clue either

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Backup
    Date:          25/05/2011 10:12:14
    Event ID:      519
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Warning
    Keywords:     
    User:          SYSTEM
    Computer:      SERVER
    Description:
    The backup operation that started at '‎2011‎-‎05‎-‎25T09:08:39.851459500Z' has failed to back up volume(s) 'C:'. Please review the event details for a solution, and then rerun the backup operation once the issue is resolved.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Backup" Guid="{1DB28F2E-8F80-4027-8C5A-A11F7F10F62D}" />
        <EventID>519</EventID>
        <Version>0</Version>
        <Level>3</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-05-25T09:12:14.286611500Z" />
        <EventRecordID>5957</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID="4556" ThreadID="6960" />
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>SERVER</Computer>
        <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data Name="BackupTime">2011-05-25T09:08:39.851459500Z</Data>
        <Data Name="FailedVolumeNames">C:</Data>
        <Data Name="ErrorCode">0</Data>
        <Data Name="ErrorMessage">%%0</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Mal
    Wednesday, May 25, 2011 11:17 AM
  • Well, I stopped the Distributed Link Tracking Client service as Olaf suggested, but no luck. Backups are still failing every other day with the same error.

Any other suggestions>

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 11:47 AM
  • Another idea would be to try to run the server backup outside of the time slot which is set for client backups.

Olaf

Thursday, May 26, 2011 6:40 AM
  •  Yeah, that's already been done. The client backup and server backup are separated by hours and hours.

One other thing I just realized that may help, the successful backups are the full ones, the failed ones are incremental. So, on day 1 a full b/u runs succesfully, on day 2 an incremental runs and fails, on day 3, another full, which is successful etc. etc. etc.

The WHS console says the backup was 'unsuccessful'. However, when I look at the actual Windows server backup (wbadmin.msc) it shows them as 'completed with warnings'. Just to double check, I tried to restore a couple random files from one of the 'failed' backups, and did not have any problem.

Not sure what to make of all this now.

Thursday, May 26, 2011 11:51 AM
  • Interesting fact, although I would have expected the full backup failing.

From normal Windows Server 2008 backup experience I would say, that this is ok. The console does not well distinguish between warnings and errors. So the backup went through, leaving the files mentioned alone.

Incremental backups make only sense for shared folders. What happens, if you exclude some of the shared folders from incremental backup (i.e. the folder for Client Computer backups)?

Olaf

Thursday, May 26, 2011 12:44 PM
  • It's worth a try. I've just excluded a couple folders, we'll see what tomorrow brings.

Thursday, May 26, 2011 10:55 PM
  • Well, that worked.

I got successful backups two days in a row, after excluding the client backup files. Now the question of course is, what now? I don't really want to continue excluding the client backups, Does that fact that excluding them allowed the backup to run tell us anything?

Friday, May 27, 2011 11:23 PM
  • Another idea: What happens, if you attempt to move the server backup time maybe by 1 hour?

Working Full Backup and failing incremental could be caused by some process, which is just running at the same time and conflicting with your backup job. Since full backup takes more time to reach the backup database files, this process could already be finished in that case, while it is still running with incremental backups. which reaches these changed files faster.

Best greetings frm Germany
    Olaf

Monday, May 30, 2011 5:54 AM
  • I've tried a few different start times over the last couple days, and still end up with the same result, successful full b/u and 'failed' incremental b/u.

As I think I mentioned in a previous post, even though the dashboard lists these as 'unsuccessful', the actual backup app lists them as 'completed with warnings' and I am able to restore from them.  That being the case I might just have to leave this as is for now. Maybe once WHS hits retail and we start to get more users and more time under our belt, or maybe a service pack comes out, a solution may come up.

Thanks

Wednesday, June 1, 2011 11:52 AM
  • I continued to play with this over the last week or so even though I really didn't think I'd get anywhere.  As my last test I tried running the backups manually, as opposed to the scheduler automatically starting them every day, thinking since I was getting an 'access denied' error it might be permission related.

Much to my surprise this worked. I can now remote into the server every day, and manually start the backup. The full backups work, and the the incremental ones work too. This is the first time I've been able to get more than 1 successful backup in a row.

It would appear this whole thing may indeed be permission related. I'm logged in as an administrator when doing this. The scheduler job that starts the auto backups is set to run with the highest privileges, so I'm still a bit confused. Does the fact that I can manually do this shed any light on the issue?

Thanks

Thursday, June 9, 2011 12:05 PM
  • I'd be very curious to see if you ended up with a working solution? I am having the same problem, and do indeed include the client backup database in the backup set. BTW, how can I tell whether the backup is full or incremental? Why would it alternate every other time? I have a problem where one backup will take ten minutes, while the next takes 3-4 hours. In either case, very little changed in the backup set. The backup drive only increased by a few 100MB, but it takes forever to complete. Is this an issue where it takes forever for it to analyze what's changed?
    Monday, November 7, 2011 8:35 PM
  • I'd just like to join the queue of people with the same issue.

Error in backup D:\$Extend\$RmMetadata\$TxfLog\ during write: Error [0x80070005] Access is denied.
    Error in backup of D:\$Extend\$RmMetadata\$TxfLog\$TxfLog.blf during write: Error [0x80070005] Access is denied.

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 11:32 AM
  • I found this on Microsoft Connect under

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/details/734918/whs-2011-server-backup-failures

I am testing it now.

Posted by Microsoft on 5/30/2012 at 7:30 PM

“The device is not ready” issue reported here is caused by less space to create Shadow Copy on volume.
    It is solved by increasing the shadow copy maximum size in the impacted volumes. After trying it, there is no such issue reported from customer.

Best wishes,
    Windows Home and Small Business Server Team
    Saturday, June 2, 2012 7:58 PM