Need a NEW Product Key RRS feed

• Question

•  

I just bought a used laptop and discovered the copy of Windows XP Professional that was installed on it has a bad product key. I need to install SP2 but the key that was used will not let me do this. Is there any way to purchase a new product key for the OS that's already installed?
    Sunday, November 4, 2007 12:52 AM

Answers

• Hello Ten3six,

Another suggestion would be contacting the manufacturer and request them to send you a recovery software disc. Keep in mind not all manufacturers will provide the disc but may require you to send in the system but this is still worth the effort. Please contact the manufacturer Technical support location and find out if this is an option available.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Monday, November 5, 2007 9:57 PM
  • Cassie,

Also let’s split your thread off so we may focus more attention on your particular situation.  Splitting threads are done to mitigate confusion caused by more than one posting about similar   topics allowing us to focus on each customer individually. 

In order to receive the best support, we request all users to initially run the Genuine Diagnostics tool.  In turn the tool will try and identify the individual issue you may be experiencing.  Also, please provide a brief synopsis describing the issue including any error messages or codes. These can be found in the lower left hand corner of most Genuine Advantage Web pages when an error is encountered.

Download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the “Windows” tab, click “Copy”, then paste the report into a response message in this thread.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Friday, November 16, 2007 10:09 PM

All replies

• Please visit: www.microsoft.com/genuine and click on "Validate Windows". When validation fails, click on the Get Genuine button which will provide information on how to acquire a genuine WGA Kit.

Sunday, November 4, 2007 1:29 AM
  • Hello Ten3six,

Another suggestion would be contacting the manufacturer and request them to send you a recovery software disc. Keep in mind not all manufacturers will provide the disc but may require you to send in the system but this is still worth the effort. Please contact the manufacturer Technical support location and find out if this is an option available.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Monday, November 5, 2007 9:57 PM
  • What can I do?

Friday, November 16, 2007 12:16 AM
  •  cassie1092 wrote:

What can I do?

How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

Friday, November 16, 2007 4:03 AM
  • Cassie,

Also let’s split your thread off so we may focus more attention on your particular situation.  Splitting threads are done to mitigate confusion caused by more than one posting about similar   topics allowing us to focus on each customer individually. 

In order to receive the best support, we request all users to initially run the Genuine Diagnostics tool.  In turn the tool will try and identify the individual issue you may be experiencing.  Also, please provide a brief synopsis describing the issue including any error messages or codes. These can be found in the lower left hand corner of most Genuine Advantage Web pages when an error is encountered.

Download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the “Windows” tab, click “Copy”, then paste the report into a response message in this thread.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Friday, November 16, 2007 10:09 PM
  • I just bought a display laptop with microsoft office and was able to use it 25 times, but now I have limited access. I was not given the cd at time of purchase because it was sold to me as an open box. I need a product key to continue. pls help

Monday, November 19, 2007 5:14 PM
  • Good Morning Taylorjrt,

Let’s split your thread off so we may focus more attention on your particular situation.  Splitting threads are done to mitigate confusion caused by more than one posting about similar   topics allowing us to focus on each customer individually.  Please post your question here http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=442&SiteID=25 in a new thread of your own. 

In order to receive the best support, we request all users to initially run the Genuine Diagnostics tool.  The tool will try and identify the individual issue you may be experiencing.  Also, please provide a brief synopsis describing the issue including any error messages or codes. These can be found in the lower left hand corner of most Genuine Advantage Web pages when an error is encountered.

Please download and run the MS Genuine Diagnostic Tool utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum.

Step 2 is telling us about the COA. Tell us:

1. What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?

2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4. DO NOT post the Product Key.

5. Please also provide a short description of the issue you are experiencing.

NOTE: The data collected with the Genuine Diagnostics Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you and can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Monday, November 19, 2007 7:10 PM
  •  

I rencently had major hd failure and had to reinstall windows. After all this time I have lost my cdkeys, I had to get a key online, as I could not waste time to get back up and running. Not surpriseing the cdkey wont pass the WGA. My question is is there a way I can get a new key? I currently have 2 copies of XP Pro Not for retail or oem distrubuting. These I receaved as part of a training prg from microsoft.com in 2001-2002 as part of a staples/microsoft sales training plan/reward for doing the training.  The cds did not come with any manuals or books just the cds and the key on the sleeves.
    Wednesday, November 28, 2007 9:05 PM
  • Hello Dawitis,

Let’s split your thread off so we may focus more attention on your particular situation.  Splitting threads are done to mitigate confusion caused by more than one posting about similar   topics allowing us to focus on each customer individually.  Please post your question here http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=442&SiteID=25 in a new thread of your own. 

In order to receive the best support, we request all users to initially run the Genuine Diagnostics tool.  The tool will try and identify the individual issue you may be experiencing.  Also, please provide a brief synopsis describing the issue including any error messages or codes. These can be found in the lower left hand corner of most Genuine Advantage Web pages when an error is encountered.

Please download and run the MS Genuine Diagnostic Tool utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum.

Step 2 is telling us about the COA. Tell us:

1. What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?

2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4. DO NOT post the Product Key.

5. Please also provide a short description of the issue you are experiencing.

NOTE: The data collected with the Genuine Diagnostics Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you and can be fully reviewed, by you, before being

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 11:49 PM