Installing OCS 2007 R2 Standar to a 2008 server RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to install  the trial OSC 2007 R2 (standard). I want to connect to it at least three clients for check the MCU and the data collaboration on them.

I have a 2008 server (2008 forest) with Active Directory and Domain Controller installed on it.

A 2003 server in the same domain acting as a standalone CA.

I want to load OCS 2007 R2 to the 2008 server.

Both servers IPs are given by the university network.

The DNS server belongs to the University, I can not modify it if needed.

Questions.

Do I need to create my on DNS server (I could use the 2008 or the 2003 for it)

Using the Forest Preparation Wizard I am about to prepare the forest.

Current Settings:

Global Container: Configuration Partition

Domain to Create Universal Groups: ocsone.utmed.org

SIP Domain used for Default Routing: ocsone.utmed.org.

Can I use the same domain for both: Universal Groups and Sip ( that is suggested by the guide)

I will keep reaching of waiting for an answer before I proceed.

Thanks,

Pedro33

Thursday, March 26, 2009 4:05 PM

Answers

• I created my own DNS residing on the OCS 2008 server, and added the recommended lookup zones. It worked for my clients with statics IP, I would point them to the internal DNS.

As a second step I added the university DNS as an alternate DNS  in the clients network properties. It also worked.

As a third step I turned my DNS service off and used the university DNS with clients manual configuration.

I took me a while to figure it out how to setup manual dial in: Connect/Change Sign-In Address/Advanced/Manual configuration, Internal server name (Full Name)/TLS.

• Marked as answer by Pedro33 Monday, May 11, 2009 7:14 PM
    Monday, May 11, 2009 7:13 PM
  • I created my own DNS residing on the OCS 2008 server, and added the recommended lookup zones. It worked for my clients with statics IP, I would point them to the internal DNS.

As a second step I added the university DNS as an alternate DNS  in the clients network properties. It also worked.

As a third step I turned my DNS service off and used the university DNS with clients manual configuration.

I took me a while to figure it out how to setup manual dial in: Connect/Change Sign-In Address/Advanced/Manual configuration, Internal server name (Full Name)/TLS

• Marked as answer by Pedro33 Monday, May 11, 2009 7:16 PM
    Monday, May 11, 2009 7:15 PM
  • When I tried to get a certificate for a Vista client, my 2003 internal CA complained about a missing patch. Because of that, Vista or 2008 server would not work!!

I installed the Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB922706)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=FFAEC8B2-99E0-427A-8110-2F745059A02D&displaylang=en

Then every thing worked!! This time I run the OCS Management Console, and reinstalled the certificate.

For the clients, because it is an internal CA I had to use ie and ask for the CA root chain.

• Marked as answer by Pedro33 Monday, May 11, 2009 7:17 PM
    Monday, May 11, 2009 7:17 PM
  • I have a Widows Server 2003 Standard Edition SP2 with a Stand-Alone CA. It works fine after

• Marked as answer by Pedro33 Monday, May 11, 2009 8:04 PM
    Monday, May 11, 2009 8:04 PM

All replies

• Pedro,

You should ideally use the DNS server on the AD domain controller to create the internal SRV and A records required by OCS.  If you cannot be allowed to add records to it then you may need to create a separate server and setup zone transfers, but I would think you can request the owners to add the few records needed by OCS, outside of the server's hostname record that is added automatically when joining the domain.

And it is typically best practice to install all groups and accounts into the same domain that will be hosting the OCS servers and be used as the default SIP routing domain.  In some multi-domain forests this can change, but for your purposes I'd suggest you use that single domain for both.
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 4:32 PM
  • Thanks Jeff,

I will try to add the dns server to the 2008 and see if it doesn’t interfere with the one at the Main campus and go from there.

Pedro

Thursday, March 26, 2009 5:15 PM
  • O got the the Certificate Wizard. Althought the "Select certificate authority..." is populated with the right name.

It says the following:

"Certificate Wizard wan unable to contact the Certification Authority"

"Retry this operation later"

I checked the 2003 CA server but the "Failed Requests, Issued Certificates" and the other two folders are empty (Local Certification Authority)

I could blame it to the DNS, but the 2003 server is connected as a a computer in the main OCS server. and it populates the Right dns field in the wizard...

Thanks you for your help

Pedro
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 10:19 PM
  • I will try to change my Standard CA to  Windows Server 2003 SP1 Enterprise CA (recommended)

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd572286(office.13).aspx

Friday, March 27, 2009 3:10 PM

I took me a while to figure it out how to setup manual dial in: Connect/Change Sign-In Address/Advanced/Manual configuration, Internal server name (Full Name)/TLS.

• Marked as answer by Pedro33 Monday, May 11, 2009 7:14 PM
    Monday, May 11, 2009 7:13 PM

I took me a while to figure it out how to setup manual dial in: Connect/Change Sign-In Address/Advanced/Manual configuration, Internal server name (Full Name)/TLS

• Marked as answer by Pedro33 Monday, May 11, 2009 7:16 PM
    Monday, May 11, 2009 7:15 PM
  • When I tried to get a certificate for a Vista client, my 2003 internal CA complained about a missing patch. Because of that, Vista or 2008 server would not work!!

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=FFAEC8B2-99E0-427A-8110-2F745059A02D&displaylang=en

Then every thing worked!! This time I run the OCS Management Console, and reinstalled the certificate.

For the clients, because it is an internal CA I had to use ie and ask for the CA root chain.

• Marked as answer by Pedro33 Monday, May 11, 2009 7:17 PM
    Monday, May 11, 2009 7:17 PM
  • I have a Widows Server 2003 Standard Edition SP2 with a Stand-Alone CA. It works fine after

• Marked as answer by Pedro33 Monday, May 11, 2009 8:04 PM
    Monday, May 11, 2009 8:04 PM