OneCare automatically turns on System Restore RRS feed

• Question

• How do I stop OneCare from automatically turning on System Restore?

Even though I have System Restore disabled in services.msc, OneCare keeps turning it on.  It even brags about it in the Monthly Report (at the bottom of the Performance Plus section).

How can I stop OneCare from doing this?

Thanks for any help you can send my way...
    Wednesday, December 5, 2007 6:11 AM

Answers

• Thanks for reporting is so that we now know about another setting turned on by Performance Plus. At this time there is no way for us (as users) to adjust what OneCare sets. At this point, we now know that OneCare turns on the Screensaver, activates System Restore, and turns on macro security - all without the ability for us to advise OneCare not to do so.

-steve

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 7:58 PM

All replies

• Thanks for reporting is so that we now know about another setting turned on by Performance Plus. At this time there is no way for us (as users) to adjust what OneCare sets. At this point, we now know that OneCare turns on the Screensaver, activates System Restore, and turns on macro security - all without the ability for us to advise OneCare not to do so.

-steve

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 7:58 PM
  • Wow...that's pretty intrusive of OneCare, wouldn't you say?  On some level, I can understand it turning on System Restore and Macro Security, but why the Screensaver??!!!

Well, I hope that if anyone finds out how to disable OneCare from automatically turning on System Restore, they will let me know.

Thanks...
    Wednesday, December 5, 2007 8:13 PM
  • I can't believe there is no interface in the OneCare settings to disable parts of the Performance Plus autoconfigurations. System restore ticks me off, and so does the screen saver setting. I'm perfectly OK with it resetting macro security and IE security zones, but users should ALWAYS have the option to disable settings that are normally "automatic!"

Make it happen OneCare team!
    Thursday, December 20, 2007 12:21 PM