Lost inf file RRS feed

• Question

• I am running Home Server version Power Pack 1 on an HP dx5150 sff machine with a western digital 1.0tb 10EARS hard drive. After several years it appears to have lost the inf file on boot. When I attempt to reload the software I get the error message "Hard drive capable of hosting windows home server was not found. Would you like to load additional storage drivers?" This indicates that the drivers for the storage controller are missing. I need to find the inf file. Any suggestions? The machine ran fine for several years and the hard drive is only minimally used.
    • Edited by hooflicker Tuesday, August 11, 2015 3:10 PM
    Tuesday, August 11, 2015 3:09 PM

All replies

• This can also indicate, that the disk itself is broken or inaccessible.

Also to be detected WHS v.1 needs the disk in IDE/ATAPI mode in Bios.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 8:50 AM
  • That may be, however I would still like to try providing the inf file it is requesting. Do you have any idea where I can obtain it? The HP site offers a download for an exe file that has an upgrade, however they don't have just the inf file itself. The WHS program won't run the exe file because it only looks for inf files and you can't modify it.

Thanks

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 1:11 PM
  • Argh, just lost my full reply. So again a shortened version:

For Windows Server 2003 R2 (base of WHS v1) unknown storage controller drivers was this ancient thing, called F6 installation, requiring a floppy drive.

You would have to download the specific driver file for Server 2003 or Windows XP, extract it on another PC to the floppy disk and then add it during installation.

Described here on the example of the Intel drivers (including not so easy workarounds, if you do not have a floppy disk).

Since this is complicated, I recommend the Bios settings change.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 2:49 PM