Can't open Money backup files after restore to Money 2005 RRS feed

• General discussion

• I had to restore my machine using the System Recovery disk. I saved all of my Money Backup files to an exrernal hard drive. I re-installed Money with the disk provided when I purchased the computer. After Money was installed, and I tried to open Money I am prompted with a request to enter a Password, the same one used to create the file I am trying to open. I NEVER HAD A PASSWORD! I cannot open Money, I so I cant restore any of my saved Money Files! What can I do ? Help Please!
    Friday, November 12, 2010 3:13 PM

All replies

• Do I understand that you got a disk with your computer that actually says Microsoft Money on the disk?

Were using Money 2005?

May we assume that your version of Money 2005 is not a US version?

Depending on the situation, there will be a different way of dealing with this.

Friday, November 12, 2010 9:34 PM
  • I reloded Money 2005 from the WorksSuite 2005 Disk that came with the Computer. it is the US version the Version of Money is 14.0.50.724.

The computer is a Gateway and was preloaded with Windows and WorksSuite including Money 2005.

Saturday, November 13, 2010 1:24 AM
  • Find the sample.mny file in your install folder.  That may be
    "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2005".    Right-click the Money start
    icon and select RunAsAdministrator.  Click File->Open and browse to
    that sample.mny file.  Money 2005 will do an update.  Close Money.
    Reboot the computer.  Then open Money and check that Help->About...
    says you then have version 14.0.50.1105.

Only then, open your existing *.mny file. It should work as you remember.

In any case, download and save the Money Plus Deluxe Sunset install program with the help of the info in Find the sample.mny file in your install folder.  That may be
    "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2005".  Copy sample.mny file to
    your Documents folder in Win7 or Vista.  Right-click the Money start
    icon and select RunAsAdministrator.  Click File->Open and browse to
    that sample.mny file.  Money 2005 will do an update.  Close Money.
    Reboot the computer.  Then open Money and check that Help->About...
    says you then have version 14.0.*.1105.

If you wanted, you could install that now. You might lose function. But keep that handy in case you need to reinstall Money after the end of January 2011. It will be able to open your Money 2005 *.mny file. You can read about PocketSense for a way to get quotes and some other info into Money Plus Deluxe Sunset.

Saturday, November 13, 2010 4:50 AM
  • Well I tried your suggestions - Version still comes up as Version 14.0.50.724. I tried downloading the Sunset but it still dosen't work. I went back and tried to run Money as Administrator agin, but it asked for a password, and here is where i screwed up, I went and added a password to the Admin user. I was able to run Money, but the version still came back as 14.0.50.724. I removed and reinstalled Money, removing the password from Admin before the install. Now i can not run Money, every time I try machine sauys that Money is already running.

When I downloaded the Sunset program and saved it I could not find a Install folder, where should I be looking.

Sure hope I haven't made this beyound repair.

Saturday, November 13, 2010 3:53 PM
  • Reboot your computer. Then start Money and check the version.

When you say " I tried downloading the Sunset but it still dosen't work.", what do you mean? Was that when you were first asked for a password? Did you actually install Money Plus Deluxe Sunset? You have to run the big exe file to do that. The Money 2005 install folder is typically "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2005" and for Sunset it is  "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money Plus".

Don't add a password.

Saturday, November 13, 2010 4:31 PM
  • I rebooted and started Money and checked the version - 14.0.50.742. This was not however on the Sample File. When I exited out of Money and tried to right click and run as admin I received an error saying that "Money is alreday running"

The first time I was asked for a password was after the initial system Restore and reinstall of money 2005.

I Have never had a password on this machine for anything.

Currently after I open Money and then close Money I am unable to restart Money, I get an error saying that Money is already running. I then restart the computer and I am able to start Money, but then it seems to never stop.

After Money was reinstalled I did not set up any accounts.

I appreiate you patience.

In a previous Reply you sugested downloading and saving the Money Plus Delux Sunset install program, This i did, but wasn't sure what to do with it.

Sunday, November 14, 2010 1:19 AM
  • I was able to open Money and go to the Sample File. The Version is 14.0.50.724.
    Sunday, November 14, 2010 2:34 AM
  • I was able to open Money and go to the Sample File. The Version is 14.0.50.724.

Close Money. Open Money by right-clicking the Money launch icon, and choosing RunAsAdministrator. Leave it open for a few minutes to let updates occur. Close Money, and reboot the computer. Open Money. Your version should then be updated.

Note that you will not be able to do that process after January 2011. That will take some further prep.

Sunday, November 14, 2010 5:01 AM
  • I tried what you have suggested but the Version is still 14.0.50.724. ( I right Click and Money opens)

The only user account on this computer is Owner.  if i try to left Click and "Run as Administrator" i get an error about invalid Logon ID. I exit out and try to left click and Open the File and I get a message that Money is already running.

i tried to create a Admin user, but then i get an error about invalid password.

Unless you have any thing else to try I am ready to give up and accept that I have lost all of my data.

Monday, November 15, 2010 2:04 AM
  • Hmmm... Maybe you are running XP. What version of Windows are you running? If XP, you can simply run from an administrative account.

Before proceeding further, what OS are you using?

Monday, November 15, 2010 2:18 AM
  • Windows XP version 51. , Service pack 3

Internet Exploer 8 Version 8.0.6001.16702

Monday, November 15, 2010 1:36 PM
  •  Create a new    XP Administrative user. As that new user, Copy the Sample.mny file to the MyDocuments folder. Open Money by double-clicking that copy of Sample.mny in Windows Explorer. After the hoped-for updates have potentially loaded, reboot your computer.

The theory is that if you may have  changed some IE8 setting that is blocking  access to the updated server, the new  user will have those settings at default levels. Making the new user has some advantages, including simplicity, over reseting IE8 to defaults. After you have succeded, you can delete the new user.

Monday, November 15, 2010 7:39 PM
  • OK!!! Money now has the correct Version 14.0.50.1105. WE are making progress.

Now we are back to the original problem. When I go to the last money file created, when we were able to open Money and enter transactions into our checking account (Just in Money no access to the Bank), and ty and open that file Money is asking for the password that I used to create the file. And again I NEVER HAD OR USED PASSWORDS ON THESE FILES. Here is what I am trying to do:

1. I go to mt C drive and click on a Folder named Rosch W&A, that folder has another Folder named Home Office, Home Office has a Folder named Finances, and finances has a Folder named Money files, Money Files has a list of mny and mbf files. I click on a file named Rosch 2009-2010.mny.

when I try to restore this file I get a request to enetr a password - The original problem.

Monday, November 15, 2010 11:57 PM
  • I am glad to see that progress.

What this bogus password error may mean is that your file is from a version later than Money 2005. One posibility is that during your trials with Money Plus, it converted your file to the later version. If that happened, there will be a *.m14 file on your machine. That will be a copy of your Money 2005 file at the time of conversion. You could copy that file to rosch.mny and open that with Money 2005. Alternatively, search your drive for *.mbf files. Find the latest from before you tried Money Plus. File->Restore that file. Don't restore to the "default location" but rather Browse to your MyDocuments folder and choose a new name.

After this is all working, you will still want to keep the Money Sunset install file for any installs that you might need to do after January.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 12:08 AM
  • I have 9 .M14 files, 2of them were created this year one last Saturday the other on Sunday. All of the rest were created in 2007.
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 2:51 AM
  • I should have said *.m14.

Each of the *.m14 files represents a 2005 file that was converted to a later version.

I think this means that you installed a version later than Money 2005 in 2007.  Take a look at the name and size of the 2010-dated files. Expect your real *.mny file to be bigger than 8 meg probably. They would probably have been produced when you tried Money Plus Sunset.

So you could try one of the recent *.m14 files.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 3:06 AM
  • After many attempts it's still asking for a password when I try and restore the mbf file. I just looked at the properties of the files that I am trying to restore.

Created 10/30 2010 8:12:02 PM

Modified 10/26 2010 8:57:34 PM

There are 3 files all were Created 10/30, 2 were Modified 10/26, the other was Modified 10/22

2 are 1.4 MB the other is 8MB

How cam a file be Modified before it was created? Could this be a cause of the "Password" issue?

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 6:25 PM
  • I have no idea how a  how a file could be Modified before it was created.That would be a Windows thing. 

I expect your *.mbf files were from an earlier version. I suspect you were running Money 2006 or 2007 when you produced your *.mbf files.

Can you install Money Plus Deluxe Sunset on a different computer, and see if that install can restore one of your *.mbf files?

Did you try making use of one of your *.m14 files on your Money 2005 installation?

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 6:37 PM
  • How would  I use the M14 file on an installation?
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 7:39 PM
  • How would  I use the M14 file on an installation?

Copy one *.m14 file to hope05a.mny, and copy the other to hope05b.mny.

File->Open hope05a.mny within Money 2005, and see if it is what you need. Repeat for hope05b.mny.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 7:46 PM
  • I'm really frustrated. I just don't understand how to copy these m14 files. If I right click on the file I get a box with commands including "copy" if I click on Copy I guess it sends it to a clipboard,mbut where is the clipboard.

Am I really out in left field?

If I try and open any of the M14 files Money tries to open, but first wants to backup the file, and whn I try to back it up It wants a Password.

I in a tight loop going nowhere.

Thursday, November 18, 2010 5:35 PM
  • You are asking how to make a copy of a file in windows to a file of a different name. http://www.student.services.wiu.edu/ess/training/winxp/windowsbasics/copypaste.asp or http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Copy-and-paste-a-filemay help, but you probably have a friend or relative who is good at that that you might ask for help.

Regarding Money asking for a password when you try to open a *.m14 file, I think that would be because it is trying to back up the file that is already open. I am not sure about that. I have never had Money ask for a password when I back up  a file.

Thursday, November 18, 2010 8:09 PM
  • OK I copied the M14 backupfiles and was able to open the file in Money, but Money opens with no data. When I opened the backup file money asked for a password, and I clicked on Next. This allowed me to decline a Passport. A copy of the file was created, and I skiped seting up accounts. Money opend but no data. The file says it's size is 8 MB.

When I try the above with the other 8MB M14 file it continues to ask for  a Passport and does not allow me to folow the steps to decline a passport.

I ready to throw in the towel.

Friday, November 19, 2010 2:48 PM
  • Note that your *.mbf files are usually compressed.

I would look at the dates and sizes of your *.mbf files to try to figure out what file has your actual data.

I would install Money Plus Deluxe Sunset. It should be able to restore a backup file, even if it was created by a version newer than Money 2005. Whenever you do a restore, do not restore to the "default location". Instead, Browse to your MyDocuments folder, and choose a new name.

It is possible to have Money 2005 and Money Plus installed at the same time. Pay attention during install to not have Money Plus uninstall the earlier verson. If you do that, you would want the *.mny files that each works on to have different names.

Sunday, November 21, 2010 7:00 PM
  • Thanks I'll try Installing Money Plus Delux sunset and let you know what happens.
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 12:52 PM
  • At Last! It worked! I downloaded Money Plus Delux Sunset and saved it, then I clicked on the icon and ran it. It came up on the last backup I did and all is right with the world.

Thanks much.

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 10:57 PM
  • Mr. Learner: I had a computer crash this past Spring. I studied how to recover my files without formating my hard drive. Fortunately, I got back everything! I now have an external hard drive. I had been using MS Money since 1994. I had backed up my files but just like rosch 1270, could not open the program. I struggled for weeks before I found this forum. I read all of the entries in this post and followed your instructions. It Worked!!!!! I got back ALL of my Money files. You don't know how grateful I am to have found this forum and your expertise. Can't thank you enough! Sincerely, Billie Thon
    Sunday, July 29, 2012 12:19 PM
  • Hey all,

I also cannot get into my money backup files. Even with sunset deluxe. Running xp sp3. Ideas?

Monday, October 22, 2012 10:33 PM
  • Hey all,

I also cannot get into my money backup files. Even with sunset deluxe. Running xp sp3. Ideas?

What did you do to try to get into your "money backup files." What happened when you did that?

What did/do you want to happen? Are you trying to restore an older *.mbf file onto the same computer that made that backup, or what?

Monday, October 22, 2012 11:36 PM
  • there is a .mbf file on an external hard drive. whenever i double click the file to open it, it asks to restore it. Then it asks for a password. I don't know it. It's an older mbf file but i'm restoring it on a different computer. This computer has never had money on it. well until a couple of days ago when i installed sunrise. the mbf file was created in feb 2011.

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 8:58 PM
  • there is a .mbf file on an external hard drive. whenever i double click the file to open it, it asks to restore it. Then it asks for a password. I don't know it. It's an older mbf file but i'm restoring it on a different computer. This computer has never had money on it. well until a couple of days ago when i installed sunrise. the mbf file was created in feb 2011.

I will presume that you are not in North America. In that case you should install Money 2005 QFE2 using the appropriate installation file version listed in the first post in this forum. After you have the correct version of Money 2004, Help->Abount will show version 14.0.120.1105. Your old Microsoft Money 2005 (that just says "Microsoft Money" copyright 2004 ) install disk that you used is not useful anymore.

If my presumption is wrong, tell us more.

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 10:26 PM
  • I live in the US. This external hard drive was given to me by a friend to see if I can recover the file for him. My computer has never had microsoft money of any version on it. I think he used money 2004 though. The MBF file i'm trying to restore is a bit over 6 megabytes and was created in february 2011. I never had an old microsoft money disk.

• Edited by blueguy10168 Wednesday, October 24, 2012 3:05 PM
    Wednesday, October 24, 2012 2:17 PM
  • Money and works for Gateway and Emachines come loaded on the operating system disk.

Terry

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 3:44 AM
  • I live in the US. This external hard drive was given to me by a friend to see if I can recover the file for him. My computer has never had microsoft money of any version on it. I think he used money 2004 though. The MBF file i'm trying to restore is a bit over 6 megabytes and was created in february 2011. I never had an old microsoft money disk.

Install Money Plus Deluxe using the link in what is currently the second link in this forum. After install you should be able to Open that *.mbf file. Make sure you restore to a place you can access readily, such as your Documents folder, and not to a place within the Program Files.
    Wednesday, December 18, 2013 2:05 AM
  • Cal Learner, I am also encountering the same problem as the other users above. I have followed all the steps you indicated but still cannot reinstall my backup.

I have tried installing Money Plus Deluxe but when I try to install "My Money Backup d1.mbf" I have on my pendrive I am getting an error report "Money can't open this file because it was created using a different version to Money"

I bought Microsoft Money Standard in 2004 & updated it various times during these years. I remember I didn't have any problems importing my files from previous edition when I installed this version

When I had to format my pc last May & I had to reinstall Money I onyl had to get internet update & I managed to reinstall file from pendrive without any problems. This time Money cannot update & I can't reinstall my backup. I have been using Money for more than 10 years & am at a loss at what to do

In my documents folder on my pc I have got various files with successive numbers "my money3.M14" to "my money12.M14" all dated 6th Dec 2013 12:37 (date of my last backup) each 14,996Kb 

From the information given, can you advice what I need to do to restore my accounts & get going again?

Thanks a lot

Thursday, December 26, 2013 4:10 PM
  • Cal Learner, I am also encountering the same problem as the other users above. I have followed all the steps you indicated but still cannot reinstall my backup.

I have tried installing Money Plus Deluxe but when I try to install "My Money Backup d1.mbf" I have on my pendrive I am getting an error report "Money can't open this file because it was created using a different version to Money"

I bought Microsoft Money Standard in 2004 & updated it various times during these years. I remember I didn't have any problems importing my files from previous edition when I installed this version

When I had to format my pc last May & I had to reinstall Money I onyl had to get internet update & I managed to reinstall file from pendrive without any problems. This time Money cannot update & I can't reinstall my backup. I have been using Money for more than 10 years & am at a loss at what to do

In my documents folder on my pc I have got various files with successive numbers "my money3.M14" to "my money12.M14" all dated 6th Dec 2013 12:37 (date of my last backup) each 14,996Kb 

From the information given, can you advice what I need to do to restore my accounts & get going again?

Thanks a lot

"my money3.M14" indicates that you were running Money 2005. That file would be a copy of a Money 2005 file as it existed before Money Plus tried to convert it. Save these files to other media in case something unforeseen happens. One of those is what you should copy to birgu.mny in you Documents folder.

"Money can't open this file because it was created using a different version to Money"  would indicate that your original Money installations were not from the US. In that case, uninstall Money Plus, install the version of Money 2005 appropriate to your country, and use that to open birgu.mny.

Similarly the appropriate Money 2005 should be able to make sense of "My Money Backup d1.mbf". However your birgu.mny file, which was produced by copying one of the M14 files, is probably newer.

Thursday, December 26, 2013 4:35 PM
  • Hi all, same problem with me I'm afraid and I hope someone can help me.

Moved from years of using Money 2005 (UK) to the new downloaded version, and can't open or restore any files 

Following instruction on web, I uninstalled and re-installed 2005 from CD. Now that won't work either - for open or restore. keeps telling me it can't find a file, can't open it, possibly 'cos read only. 

I've tried the run as administrator and open the sample file, all to no avail

I have over 10 years of data that I'm desperate not to lose, so any advise would be appreiated

Martin

Saturday, December 28, 2013 7:57 AM
  • Following instruction on web, I uninstalled and re-installed 2005 from CD. Now that won't work either - for open or restore. keeps telling me it can't find a file, can't open it, possibly 'cos read only. 

Where did you find such an instruction on the web? We will want to try to get that changed. Don't use that UK Money 2005 CD for anything. The UK Money 2005 CD does not actually say Money 2005.

You need to install Money using the UK link in the second posting in this forum.

Save a copy of any *.mny, *.mbf, and *.m14 files onto other media. Also put copies of those into your Documents folder. Then try to open Money by double-clicking your *.mny file in the Documents folder using Internet Explorer. What happens then?

Saturday, December 28, 2013 9:07 AM
  • Thank you very much, that's got my files re-opened in 2005.

I'll try the upgrade to latest version next - I'm assuming now I have the correct version of 2005, the newer version should be able to convert it....or is that too simplistic

Thanks again, Martin

Saturday, December 28, 2013 1:08 PM
  • Thank you very much, that's got my files re-opened in 2005.

I'll try the upgrade to latest version next - I'm assuming now I have the correct version of 2005, the newer version should be able to convert it....or is that too simplistic

Thanks again, Martin

Money 2005 is the last UK version. Do not attempt to use a different version. I would save a copy of the Money 2005 UK  install file on a DVD or CD. We don't know how long the install files will be downloadable.
    Saturday, December 28, 2013 3:14 PM
  • Hi,

Similar problem to those above and the suggestions made get me so far.

I had a crash with MS Money 2005 UK and I could not open it.

I have reinstalled the same version as per sticky post for the UK.

When I try to open my old "my money" Microsoft Money File or restore an old "my money backup" Microsoft Money backup File i get to entering the old password then the program moves on as if to install the file but then the program freezes and i get an error message "Microsoft Money has stopped Working.

On restarting the program I only get the File option on the menu. Has my money file and backup been corrupted somehow?

Thanks

Ian

Tuesday, December 31, 2013 1:05 PM
  • Hi,

Similar problem to those above and the suggestions made get me so far.

I had a crash with MS Money 2005 UK and I could not open it.

I have reinstalled the same version as per sticky post for the UK.

When I try to open my old "my money" Microsoft Money File or restore an old "my money backup" Microsoft Money backup File i get to entering the old password then the program moves on as if to install the file but then the program freezes and i get an error message "Microsoft Money has stopped Working.

On restarting the program I only get the File option on the menu. Has my money file and backup been corrupted somehow?

Thanks

Ian

Hi,

Just to save any time with a detailed response I have just found a fantastic feature of windows 8.1 called file history. I set the time back to 10 mins before the crash and restored the money file.

Cheers

Ian

Tuesday, December 31, 2013 1:22 PM
  • Ian, I am glad that saved you. I suggest that you let this inspire you to review your backup policy. Suppose the hard drive had crashed?

Consider keeping more than one vintage of backup. That way, if a corruption happens, and your upon-exit backup backs up that corruption, you won't overwrite your most recent backup.

Also consider what would happen in the case of a hard drive failure or worse. You might want to consider periodically saving your most recent backups to the cloud -- perhaps using SkyDrive.

I have a flash drive on my keychain I save an encrypted backup of Money and some other things on that. Plus I use a batch file to keep more than one version of backups on SkyDrive. Work out your own procedure.

Tuesday, December 31, 2013 3:34 PM