Can you filter data by user id to limit database size? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

We have an upcoming remote synch project and we are trying to come up with the best technology to develop with. I have been reading about the sync framework and sql compact database and have a few questions. My project involves up to 500 remote users who for various reasons would periodically sync with the master database on a central server. The client database for these remote users could eventually exceed the 4 gig limit especially if I cannot filter data.

1. Can I filter data by user? My user does not need all the data in the master database at once but the data might eventually exceed 4 gigs for an individual user over time.

2. If my user data exceeds the 4 gig limit of the sql compact database, how do I handle that or can I?

3. Our application stores the tool information in the database. Does the compact database act like express, etc. and allow multiple databases where I can store tool data in one and user data in the other?

4. I am assuming the compact database can be access via management studios. Is this a correct assumption?

I love to find a sample of our scenario to study or any information on this process will be extremely helpful. Can someone point me to a sample or series of documents that can help me?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 6:11 PM

Answers

• Hi,

yes, filtering ( static and dynamic ) is supported by the sync serivces for ado.net. you can refer to BOL ms-help://MS.SynchronizationServices.v1.EN/syncdata1/html/15abacc8-a243-4570-86e9-da95bb5bfddd.htm for more information on filtering.

if, even after using filters, the data is still bigger than 4g, you may try to put them to different databases. there will be issues when you try to join tables from different db etc thoguth.

yes, sqlce db can be accessed via sql server management studio.

I would suggest to start from the sync serivce BOL and this site ( http://www.syncguru.com/ ) has some useful sample/demos

thanks

Yunwen

Saturday, September 27, 2008 2:22 AM

All replies

• Hi,

yes, filtering ( static and dynamic ) is supported by the sync serivces for ado.net. you can refer to BOL ms-help://MS.SynchronizationServices.v1.EN/syncdata1/html/15abacc8-a243-4570-86e9-da95bb5bfddd.htm for more information on filtering.

if, even after using filters, the data is still bigger than 4g, you may try to put them to different databases. there will be issues when you try to join tables from different db etc thoguth.

yes, sqlce db can be accessed via sql server management studio.

I would suggest to start from the sync serivce BOL and this site ( http://www.syncguru.com/ ) has some useful sample/demos

thanks

Yunwen

Saturday, September 27, 2008 2:22 AM
  • Thank you, I'll check those sites and BOL out.

Sue

Sunday, September 28, 2008 2:11 AM
  • 2. If my user data exceeds the 4 gig limit of the sql compact database, how do I handle that or can I?

When DB reaches 4 GB and user is still writing, SQL Compact fails with an error number 25104 (SSCE_M_DATABASETOOBIG) // The database file is larger than the configured maximum database size. This setting only takes effect upon the first concurrent database connection. [Required Max Database Size (in MB; 0 if unknown),,,,,]

Thanks

Manikyam Bavandla MSFT

Tuesday, October 7, 2008 6:13 AM