Why did I do this to myself???? RRS feed

• Question

• Updated a new Dell D830 to Vista Enterpreise from XP Pro.

Was able to validate no problem.

Installed other software, was able to revalidate. And things went very well.

Windows update comes along, and bang! the next day my system is no longer valid.

Rebooted into safe mode and removed the Updates.  System restarted, and worked ok for a bit.  Then I started getting errors about system file changes.  Next reboot I was back to not being able to do anything with the system.

Again, reboot into safe mode and remove all Updates.  System restarted, but re-applied the updates, and let me in.  I immediately removed and hid the offending updates and set my system to only download but not apply new updates.

Things went ok for a day, then same problem.  Rebooted into safe mode, removed the updates (why new updates?  I didn't apply anything!), turned off Windows Update altogether.  Finally got to where I could change my product key and re-validate.  Rebooted, system came back as non-genuine.

Anyone started to add up the hours here?

So far if any of the following updates are applied to my system it goes *** up:

KB935807

KB931621

KB933928

KB935280

KB936357

KB937077

g

I am using a MAK product key from MSDN.

So far I've done all the various things recommended by MSFT.

Change product key

Re-validate

Next step is to follow my Dell Rep recommendation....Wipe the machine clean, reload XP and forget about Vista....It's tempting, but I'm stubborn.

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 2:25 AM

Answers

•  

Can you tell me what error code you get (if any) when you validate by clicking "Validate Windows" here: www.microsoft.com/genuine

The error code will be gray and in brackets at the end of the message on the page that says validation failed.  (It'll look something like this:  [0xC004C000]).

Saturday, July 28, 2007 6:32 AM

All replies

• I have the same frustration, vista victim.  I hesitate only because it was working well for two months.  I don't have time for all the monkey business, though -- I want to just use my computer.
    Saturday, July 21, 2007 4:49 PM
  •  

Can you tell me what error code you get (if any) when you validate by clicking "Validate Windows" here: www.microsoft.com/genuine

The error code will be gray and in brackets at the end of the message on the page that says validation failed.  (It'll look something like this:  [0xC004C000]).

Saturday, July 28, 2007 6:32 AM