E-mail to case creation workflow SOMETIMES does not work. RRS feed

• Question

• I am having an intermittant issue with our CRM setup that I wondered if anyone might be able to shed some light on.

I inherrited a Dynmaics CRM 4.0 deployment, that was an initial CRM 3.0 deployment later upgraded.

They are using the E-mail Router.  All mail for the support team goes to a single e-mail address.  There is a workflow in CRM set to run when a record is created or on demand for E-mail entities as follows:

If E-mail: To equals [support email] then:

- Create: Case

(creates the case with specified fields filled out)

-Attach Case to e-mail

(updates e-mail record to set regarding the created case)

Most of the time, this works fine.  However, our application sends out e-mail notifications to the support e-mail address if the application encounters an error.  SOMETIMES when this happens, cases are not created.  I can look in Settings->System Jobs and filter by E-mail entity and see the E-mail to case workflow and "workflow expansion task" which I assume is the set regarding for the e-mail.  Both show as Succeeded.  If I look in the history for the account of the origin e-mail, I see the e-mail.  However, if I look in the Cases section for the same account, no corresponding case is created.  Any ideas why this might be happening?

Some other breadcrumbs:  When the error condition occurs onsite, our applicaton sends multiple e-mails (one per error) with the exact same subject, sender and body.  Obviously this isn't optimal, and I've asked to have it changed.  All of the accounts with this issue show previously created cases with the same subject, sender and body.  However, other accounts have no problem creating new tickets based on this same configuration - even with previously created tickets with the same info.

Thanks for any ingights into the issue.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 6:43 PM

All replies

• I would check the following

• Check your System Jobs for any failed or waiting Jobs related to the workflow, you can do this through Advanced Find as you might find some failure which will point you in the direction of any changes need to the workflow to catch exceptions
    • Check your application log (event viewer) and see if any errors are logged when the event occurs

Is it possible that the Cases are being created but not associated to the Account record?  I assume you've probably checked that but thought it was worth a mention.

Regards, Donna

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 7:19 PM
  • Hi,

You should also try enabling tracing and see what it throws. I can recommend you CRMDiagTool4 for this.

Hope it helps,

PP [twitter.com/pabloperalta]

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 7:35 PM