Using a custom domain RRS feed

• Question

• I've purchased a custom domain with GoDaddy, but I don't know what DNS/Nameserver settings to set up in GoDaddy in order for it to work. Vail is suggesting a subdomain, and a username and password, but it doesn't give me any name servers.

Also, is dynamic dns happening with custom domains? I know there's also a problem with custom domains and ssl's, so maybe I'll use a Microsoft domain for now.

Sunday, August 22, 2010 6:56 PM

Answers

• It uses godaddy's name server by default, and you don't need to set it on Vail. If you want to customize the name server, you can logon to Godaddy's website and change it.

And Dynamic DNS happens with custom domains.  

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 9:02 AM
  • Yingyu is correct,

Setting up a domain with GoDaddy will setup all the appropriate name servers, DNS records, and certificates you need programmatically, you should just be able to go to https://remote.yourdomain.com/remote and it should come up in a web browser.

Let us know how it goes,
      Sean

"Yingyu Ma" wrote in message news:3b3a53d8-a2f0-4421-bec3-aa2fa1bb9a0a...

It uses godaddy's name server by default, and you don't need to set it on Vail. If you want to customize the name server, you can logon to Godaddy's website and change it.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 6:46 PM

All replies

• It uses godaddy's name server by default, and you don't need to set it on Vail. If you want to customize the name server, you can logon to Godaddy's website and change it.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 9:02 AM
  • Yingyu is correct,

Setting up a domain with GoDaddy will setup all the appropriate name servers, DNS records, and certificates you need programmatically, you should just be able to go to https://remote.yourdomain.com/remote and it should come up in a web browser.

Let us know how it goes,
      Sean

"Yingyu Ma" wrote in message news:3b3a53d8-a2f0-4421-bec3-aa2fa1bb9a0a...

It uses godaddy's name server by default, and you don't need to set it on Vail. If you want to customize the name server, you can logon to Godaddy's website and change it.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 6:46 PM
  • Guys - thanks for the help, but it's not working. Basically, I go to set up the domain. I already have a homeserver.com one set up, so I ask to use my own, then use one that is already registered. I put in the domain, and it finds it, and finds that it's registered with GoDaddy. It asks me to go to GD for some reason before I can click the next button - I do, and I get to a page that tells me that the domain is already registered.

So I go back to the console, select next, then put in my GD user/pass, and change the domain to the top level (it wants to set it up as remote.example.com, but since I don't have any subdomains set up, I ask it to use the top level domain.) It then tries to set things up, but I get an error screen, telling me an unknown error has occured and that I should wait a few minutes and try again. So I've done that a few times, and still no luck.

Any thoughts? Thx!

Thursday, August 26, 2010 1:54 AM
  • Jeff, this is a bug in this release.  When you go to GoDaddy’s webpage and get the error “the domain is already registered”, can you click into the address bar of your browser and at the very end of the URL add the string “&ownsdomain=1” (without the quotes, including the&).  Then hit enter.  The page will reload and allow you to continue.  This is already fixed in the next build of Vail.

Sorry for the confusion,
      Sean

"jefffirefly" wrote in message news:e2a6c5f6-d015-41d9-9903-2e6d054547e5...

Guys - thanks for the help, but it's not working. Basically, I go to set up the domain. I already have a homeserver.com one set up, so I ask to use my own, then use one that is already registered. I put in the domain, and it finds it, and finds that it's registered with GoDaddy. It asks me to go to GD for some reason before I can click the next button - I do, and I get to a page that tells me that the domain is already registered.

So I go back to the console, select next, then put in my GD user/pass, and change the domain to the top level (it wants to set it up as remote.example.com, but since I don't have any subdomains set up, I ask it to use the top level domain.) It then tries to set things up, but I get an error screen, telling me an unknown error has occured and that I should wait a few minutes and try again. So I've done that a few times, and still no luck.

Any thoughts? Thx!

Thursday, August 26, 2010 10:37 PM
  • When is MS going to release the next build? The recent build is pretty scary and
    is not feature complete. Will there be a test release before RTM that is feature
    complete and is a real "release candidate" (definition of release candidate - we
    think this is releasable but want to verify that there are no remaining bugs
    that would block release and all features are complete).

On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 22:37:04 +0000, Sean Daniel - MSFT wrote:

>This is already fixed in the next build of Vail.

Barb Bowman

http://www.digitalmediaphile.com

Friday, August 27, 2010 9:40 AM

• Jeff, this is a bug in this release.  When you go to GoDaddy’s webpage and get the error “the domain is already registered”, can you click into the address bar of your browser and at the very end of the URL add the string “&ownsdomain=1” (without the quotes, including the&).  Then hit enter.  The page will reload and allow you to continue.  This is already fixed in the next build of Vail.

Sorry for the confusion,
      Sean

"jefffirefly" wrote in message news:e2a6c5f6-d015-41d9-9903-2e6d054547e5...

Guys - thanks for the help, but it's not working. Basically, I go to set up the domain. I already have a homeserver.com one set up, so I ask to use my own, then use one that is already registered. I put in the domain, and it finds it, and finds that it's registered with GoDaddy. It asks me to go to GD for some reason before I can click the next button - I do, and I get to a page that tells me that the domain is already registered.

Any thoughts? Thx!

This brings you to the next bug. After log on it attempts to force you to rebuy a SSL that you already have for the FQDN and hangs.
    Sunday, August 29, 2010 8:51 PM
  • If you already have s SSL for your FQDN, you can skip this step and return to domain name wizard and continue. The purchase path is for someone who don't have a SSL.

The bug that it hangs on the purchase path is a known issue to us. Godaddy is working on the fix for their purchase site. Thanks for reporting it.

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 7:10 AM
  • OK I did that and supplied my godaddy log on information on the next screen and get the following error(s).

The domain name was not set up for your server. Wait a few minutes and run the wizard again.

An unexpected or unknown problem occurred Please wait a few minutes and try again.

Thank you

Don

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 5:46 PM
  • Could you submit a bug with logs for the error? Thank you!

Wednesday, September 1, 2010 8:20 AM
  • Submitted bug with log files on connect.

Thank you for your help.

Don

Wednesday, September 1, 2010 4:07 PM