none
KB905474 again RRS feed

• Question

• I get WgaNotify installation did not complete messages when i try to install this fix. I found someone referrig to a 1.26mb stand alone version of this from http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=69498 and that fails too . I'm in the UK use broadband, and am running xp home edition.  The tool shows.........

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Windows Product Key: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Windows Product Key Hash: 073IP5XyNYWa/ecan0vleBXNYKE=
    Windows Product ID: 55277-005-7229636-21101
    Windows Product ID Type: 5
    Windows License Type: Retail
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom
    ID: 94d28aca-34e0-4e4f-91ba-f49115ba1c62
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.723.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 0
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics:

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->
    File Mismatch: c:\windows\system32\pidgen.dll

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>94d28aca-34e0-4e4f-91ba-f49115ba1c62</UGUID><Version>1.7.0012.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-P4PGJ</PKey><PID>55277-005-7229636-21101</PID><PIDType>5</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-842925246-484763869-839522115</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>P4V8p</Manufacturer><Model>P4V88+</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>P1.30</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20050624000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>E4E93F9F0184227D</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Thursday, June 7, 2007 8:36 AM

Answers

• Grim,

Please go to http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/ and run the new diag.

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, June 7, 2007 6:48 PM
  • hi, ran the new diag, my settings passed all green, my copy of windows was verified, I clicked on the 'install updates' icon in the tool tray and it failed again....
    Monday, June 11, 2007 5:45 PM
  • Grim,

Have you received an error code from the installation experience itself?

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Monday, June 11, 2007 6:48 PM
  • hi, do you mean errors during the installation of the WGA software? in which case no,  from the installation of the fix, I go into update history and select the fix and can't seem to find any failure messages......  where should I look?
    Wednesday, June 13, 2007 1:48 PM
  • any update?
    Thursday, June 21, 2007 11:15 AM
  • Grim,

You have a mismatched pidgen.dll file.  Here is the excerpt taken from your diag report.  File Mismatch: c:\windows\system32\pidgen.dll

Dan has posted this information previously to another customer having similiar problems and you were on this thread as well.  Here's an excerpt from MS KB 914232 with the step-by-step (of course, you only need to do the pidgen.dll file, and none of the others):

Please let us know if this resolves your problems.  Thank you

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Method 2

To resolve the problem, start the installation of Windows XP by using the Windows XP CD, and then replace the files. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Insert the Windows XP CD in the CD drive or in the DVD drive.
    2. Restart your computer.
    3. When you receive the following message, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD:
    Press any key to start from CD
    Note Your computer must be configured to start from the CD drive or from the DVD drive. For more information about how to configure your computer to start from the CD drive or from the DVD drive, see the documentation that came with your personal computer. Alternatively, contact the manufacturer.
    4. When you receive the following message, press R to start the Recovery Console. This part of the Setup program prepares Windows XP to run on your computer.
    To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER. 

To repair a Windows XP installation by using Recovery Console, press R.

To exit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

5. Press 1 to access your primary drive installation by using the Recovery Console.
    6. When you are prompted, type the administrator password. If you do not have an administrator password, press ENTER.
    7. Type cd %SystemRoot%\System32, and then press ENTER.
    8. Rename the following files by using the REN command. To do this, type REN File_Name.extensionFile_Name.old at the command prompt.
    Wpa.dbl
    Pidgen.dll
    Actshell.html
    Licdll.dll
    Regwizc.dll
    Licwmi.dll
    Wpabaln.exe
    Note In the previous command, File_Name.extension represents the new file name. Additionally, File_Name.old represents the old file name.
    9. Type the drive letter of the CD drive together with a colon, and then press ENTER. For example, you type D:, and then press ENTER.
    10. Type cd i386, and then press ENTER.
    11. Type the following commands individually. Press ENTER after each command.
    Expand licwmi.dl_%Systemroot%\System32
    Expand regwizc.dl_%Systemroot%\System32
    Expand licdll.dl_%Systemroot%\System32
    Expand wpabaln.ex_%Systemroot%\System32
    Expand wpa.db_%Systemroot%\System32
    Expand actshell.ht_%Systemroot%\System32
    Copy pidgen.dll%Systemroot%\System32
    12. Type Exit, and then press ENTER to restart the computer

Thursday, June 21, 2007 6:04 PM
  • oops sorry I'd lost sight of the other post!!!

I gave this a go and it worked perfectly......... huge thanks

G

Friday, June 22, 2007 5:27 PM
  • Grim,

Glad we could help you.  Have a wonderful weekend and feel free to post again should you need WGA assistance.

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Friday, June 22, 2007 5:30 PM

All replies

• Grim,

Please go to http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/ and run the new diag.

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, June 7, 2007 6:48 PM
  • hi, ran the new diag, my settings passed all green, my copy of windows was verified, I clicked on the 'install updates' icon in the tool tray and it failed again....
    Monday, June 11, 2007 5:45 PM
  • Grim,

Have you received an error code from the installation experience itself?

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Monday, June 11, 2007 6:48 PM
  • hi, do you mean errors during the installation of the WGA software? in which case no,  from the installation of the fix, I go into update history and select the fix and can't seem to find any failure messages......  where should I look?
    Wednesday, June 13, 2007 1:48 PM
  • any update?
    Thursday, June 21, 2007 11:15 AM
  • Grim,

You have a mismatched pidgen.dll file.  Here is the excerpt taken from your diag report.  File Mismatch: c:\windows\system32\pidgen.dll

Dan has posted this information previously to another customer having similiar problems and you were on this thread as well.  Here's an excerpt from MS KB 914232 with the step-by-step (of course, you only need to do the pidgen.dll file, and none of the others):

Please let us know if this resolves your problems.  Thank you

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Method 2

To resolve the problem, start the installation of Windows XP by using the Windows XP CD, and then replace the files. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Insert the Windows XP CD in the CD drive or in the DVD drive.
    2. Restart your computer.
    3. When you receive the following message, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD:
    Press any key to start from CD
    Note Your computer must be configured to start from the CD drive or from the DVD drive. For more information about how to configure your computer to start from the CD drive or from the DVD drive, see the documentation that came with your personal computer. Alternatively, contact the manufacturer.
    4. When you receive the following message, press R to start the Recovery Console. This part of the Setup program prepares Windows XP to run on your computer.
    To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER. 

To repair a Windows XP installation by using Recovery Console, press R.

To exit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

5. Press 1 to access your primary drive installation by using the Recovery Console.
    6. When you are prompted, type the administrator password. If you do not have an administrator password, press ENTER.
    7. Type cd %SystemRoot%\System32, and then press ENTER.
    8. Rename the following files by using the REN command. To do this, type REN File_Name.extensionFile_Name.old at the command prompt.
    Wpa.dbl
    Pidgen.dll
    Actshell.html
    Licdll.dll
    Regwizc.dll
    Licwmi.dll
    Wpabaln.exe
    Note In the previous command, File_Name.extension represents the new file name. Additionally, File_Name.old represents the old file name.
    9. Type the drive letter of the CD drive together with a colon, and then press ENTER. For example, you type D:, and then press ENTER.
    10. Type cd i386, and then press ENTER.
    11. Type the following commands individually. Press ENTER after each command.
    Expand licwmi.dl_%Systemroot%\System32
    Expand regwizc.dl_%Systemroot%\System32
    Expand licdll.dl_%Systemroot%\System32
    Expand wpabaln.ex_%Systemroot%\System32
    Expand wpa.db_%Systemroot%\System32
    Expand actshell.ht_%Systemroot%\System32
    Copy pidgen.dll%Systemroot%\System32
    12. Type Exit, and then press ENTER to restart the computer

Thursday, June 21, 2007 6:04 PM
  • oops sorry I'd lost sight of the other post!!!

I gave this a go and it worked perfectly......... huge thanks

G

Friday, June 22, 2007 5:27 PM
  • Grim,

Glad we could help you.  Have a wonderful weekend and feel free to post again should you need WGA assistance.

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Friday, June 22, 2007 5:30 PM