Strange artifacts in the sky (Migrated from community.research.microsoft.com) RRS feed

• Question

• PeterTurcan posted on 07-28-2010 1:40 PM

After we released the Terapixel image of the sky - a smoothed and enhanced version of the Digial Sky Survey - there have been consistent enquiries about the following artifact:

These odd shapes are reflections, caused by bright stars, of the spider assembly that holds the secondary mirror in place above the telescope. Look closely and you will see two images - one from the Blue image and one from the Red image - which are taken at slightly different positions.  The artifact most often occurs near the edge of a photographic plate.

Also notice the number of stars that are "under" the artifact. in order to avoid damaging this data in any way we have not made any attempt to remove these artifacts.

My thanks to Brian McLean of the Space Telescope Science Institute for clarifying exactly what these things are.

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 2:08 PM

Answers

• bam replied on 01-19-2011 3:05 PM

Counting 4+ I've seen, annoying isn't it.

Here's another screenshot, near HIP114139.

All replies

• bam replied on 01-19-2011 3:05 PM

Counting 4+ I've seen, annoying isn't it.

Here's another screenshot, near HIP114139.

• i have found a strange object in this program at

Auriga

00:01:05

RA:0h16m44s

Dec:46:23:34

i was wondering if anyone

could tell me what it is

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 1:52 AM
  • High the explanation for this does not explane the other smaller objects that can be found if u zoom in to the object, or if u cant find the smaller objects in the gaps of the big object it will be located around the object also there are other shapes and veriations of the object in the picture , i dont mean to be a critic or try to undermind what has been stated but how do u explane the form of trails left in certain parts of the documented database that we view. there are clusters of the objects to witch makes it harder to beleave .what u are saying is a most realistic answer but still leaves other things unexplaned .
    Friday, October 7, 2011 9:12 PM
  • Yes there are other artifacts in addition to the spider assembly reflections.

Remember that before the Hubble Space Telescope started taking pictures all the main telescopes were on Earth - which means that not only atmospheric conditions and distortions can be captured, but also such things as aircraft vapor trails, if not the aircraft themselves, weather balloons, and anything else man-made that may just have been caught by the survey telescope. Everything in front of the lens is captured.

Hubble, to my mind is one of the three greatest NASA projects (the other two are Apollo and Voyager.....) - but that is just my opinion!

Peter Turcan

SDK Writer, Microsoft Research

Friday, November 4, 2011 12:33 AM