WHS Failure - Accessing Old Data RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

My bosses WHS box has had a motherboard failure so I have disconnected all of the drives and connected them to an XP workstation so I can copy the files to a new Synology NAS I have setup for him.

Reading this particular post it indicated this shouldn't be a problem and I should just be able to copy the files from the DE\Shares directory on each drive. I managed to do this for two of the drives.

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsfaq/thread/cf354b5d-b37b-4b7f-a0d5-8e573697777f

On one of the disks which looks to have the most data on it there is a \Shares\ folder in the root of the drive which has around 1TB of data indicated by explorer.

If I try copy any files I get "Cannot copy folder: The file can not be accessed by the system"

I've tried setting an "everyone" permission and taking ownership but nothing changes.

Has he lost everything in this Shares directory that wasn't setup to duplicate? I'm guessing the DE directory is for drive extender.

NaZz

• Edited by BuSt_OuT Monday, March 18, 2013 6:41 AM
    Monday, March 18, 2013 6:39 AM

Answers

• The FAQ you linked tells you where to look for files; there should be no actual files under the <drive>:\Shares folder. "The cake is a lie."

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by BuSt_OuT Monday, March 18, 2013 10:44 PM
    Monday, March 18, 2013 5:16 PM

All replies

• Look for DE\Shares\etc. on that drive as well.

Monday, March 18, 2013 10:41 AM
  • Hi Ken

There is only 10GB of data in the DE Shares directory. There is 1TB in the root shares directory according to windows explorer. 

None of the other drives contain that root shares directory.

Are only the files set to duplicate stored in the DE shares directory or is that all files?

NaZz

Monday, March 18, 2013 11:22 AM
  • The FAQ you linked tells you where to look for files; there should be no actual files under the <drive>:\Shares folder. "The cake is a lie."

• Marked as answer by BuSt_OuT Monday, March 18, 2013 10:44 PM
    Monday, March 18, 2013 5:16 PM
  • Thanks Ken.

All the data was on the last drive. Should have read the FAQ more thoroughly.

NaZz

Monday, March 18, 2013 10:43 PM