office communication server and ip-pstn RRS feed

• Question

• We are openning a new office and would like to start using Office Communicatios Server 2007, I don't think I would nead a PBX system or a gateway.

Our telephone provider will install the phone lines over SIP, I know they support UDP I'm trying to verify with them if they suport TCP or TLS. (200 incomming/outgoing calls,  incomming calls numbers 352-1000 to 352-1999) which should be routed to specific people.

They encurrage us to use ASTERISK and provide the following setup details.

TUNK NAME:

PEER:

host= provider sip server
    type=peer
    USER Context:
    User Details:

context=from-pstn
    dtmfmode=rfc2283
    host=provider sip server
    insecure=very
    type=peer

I would think I can use this provider but I can't find any documantation on the topology I should use.

By the way this seams very insecure, isn't it?

Thanks,

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 6:49 PM

All replies

• OCS has the ability to talk direct SIP with providers such as this.  Your PEER address will be your OCS Mediation server gateway listening address.  In order to configure what numbers go to which users it is as simple as configuring their telephone URI in their OCS voice configuration.

In terms of security, they are using non-secured SIP, that doesn't mean that you will once the traffic is on your network.  I would discourage using Asterisk in this configuration as it is not a supported VoIP solution for OCS.  Not saying this doesn't work, but it is unsupported.

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 7:19 PM
  • So from this post I gather I do need a OCS Mediation server? is this correct?

What if they can deliver SIP on TCP or TLS? would I still need a OCS Mediation server ?

By the way, and I'm not sure if this makes sense or not how do I specify ring groups and pickup groups, is this possible?

( by ring groups I mean a set of phones or people wich will all ring when an incomming call is recived, for example some setup I coud use for a helpdesk, where they would all be ext 911 in and each user would have his own dialout extension )

(by pickup group I mean a group of phones for which I can dial 40 and will pickup the call of another users phone, for example my extension is 101, my colleges extension is 102, some one calles 102 and he just steped out, some easy way of picking up the call without me having to reach over to his desk and picking up)

Thank you.

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 9:08 PM
  • Yes you will need a mediation server in either scenario. 

I do understand what you are looking for, in most PBX environments they are called pickup groups.  Pickup groups are not available in the current release of OCS. 

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 9:20 PM