Remove CD/DVD drive after installation? RRS feed

• Question

• I was wondering if anyone had tried removing the CD/DVD drive after installing WHS so they could use the IDE connection for 2 disk drives.
    Saturday, March 3, 2007 2:07 AM

Answers

• I took my DVD drive out after the WHS install and placed it into an external usb enclosure, then placed a pata drive in its place.  If you need the space for another hd, go for it, as long as you have an external usb dvd drive and an available usb port on the server to plug it into.
    Saturday, March 3, 2007 8:49 AM

All replies

• I haven't done it, but I see no reason why you couldn't do this. After all, A CD/DVD isn't a type of storage that Drive Extender will ever manage.
    Saturday, March 3, 2007 3:10 AM
  • I was thinking of trying this as well, since my oldish motherboard, while supporting two IDE channels* and S-ATA, can only have two channels at a time up, either:

• 1 P-ATA, 1 S-ATA
    • 2 P-ATA

Since my large drives are all S-ATA and I had to install from DVD, I had to use the mixed config, with the DVD on the P-ATA channel (I only have P-ATA optical media drives available)....

David

*Each channel being up to two drives.

Saturday, March 3, 2007 3:17 AM
  • I took my DVD drive out after the WHS install and placed it into an external usb enclosure, then placed a pata drive in its place.  If you need the space for another hd, go for it, as long as you have an external usb dvd drive and an available usb port on the server to plug it into.
    Saturday, March 3, 2007 8:49 AM
  • I removed the DVD drive too, WHS doesn't care about it, you can use the free IDE connection for more HDDs without problems.

Saturday, March 3, 2007 10:40 AM
  • I was able to re-connect my parallel IDE channel to two HDD (disconnecting my DVD drive) and it is working great.

Saturday, March 3, 2007 3:50 PM