Certain Apps Will Only Live In The Taskbar RRS feed

• Question

• When I am logged in to a remote computers, certain apps will only live in the Taskbar.  I cannot get them to a non-minimized state with either [Restore] or [Maximize].  I've always had this problem with Redgate's Data Compare, but just recently (don't know what changed) it began happening with Microsoft Access 2003.

Does anyone have any direction for me?
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 2:28 PM

Answers

• I assume that you are referring to remote desktop via Live Mesh. If so, I think a bug would be a good idea - with logs from any PC you remote into that are exhibiting this behavior.

How to Submit Bugs and Live Mesh Logs

I've never experienced this using Remote Desktop in Live Mesh (or other Remote solutions), but when it happens with a locally running application is typically requires me to kill the app and restart it as something is hung at that point.

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 3:00 PM

All replies

• I assume that you are referring to remote desktop via Live Mesh. If so, I think a bug would be a good idea - with logs from any PC you remote into that are exhibiting this behavior.

I've never experienced this using Remote Desktop in Live Mesh (or other Remote solutions), but when it happens with a locally running application is typically requires me to kill the app and restart it as something is hung at that point.

-steve
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 3:00 PM

I will do so, but I would like to submit only enough of my log to cover the problem.  Is there a way to truncate the logs?  If there is no option for this, is there a FAQ somewhere that describes how to do it manually from the file system?
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 12:04 PM
  • The process for collecting logs is described in the FAQ post I linked to. It collects them into a single .cab file for upload. There is no way to truncate the logs and no FAQ describing how to gather specific log data manually. *all* of the logs are needed by the Live Mesh developers to analyze the condition of your system(s) and try to determine the cause of the problem. If you aren't willing to provide those logs, then I'm afraid that you're on your own for now. If someone else experiences the same issue and uploads logs to help identify the problem and Live Mesh is updated to correct it, you'll likely benefit from the fix, but I'm not convinced it is a Live Mesh issue. If it is caused by Live Mesh, it could be a conflict with other software on the system which is causing Explorer to hang or inidividual applications.
    -steve
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 2:30 PM