locked
setting different owner for custom entity using bulk import RRS feed

  • Question

  • I've set up a custom entity (using CRM Online) and am importing data in using the bulk import tool.  The "ownership" value for the entity on the Information-General tab is set to is user (not organization).  When I try to set the owner field either by creating a specific column in my csv that matches an existing user name and mapping that field to owner (usoine the import wizard), or setting the owner to a specific user during the last step of the bulk import wizard, I don't get the owner mapped to the user I'd expect.  It seems no matter what it gets assigned to my login as the owner.  Is there something special I have to do for a custom entity to be able to assign a different owner using bulk import?  I've tried importing a csv into a "standard" entity (ie account, contact) and selecting a different user as owner and that seems to work just fine (again using the bulk import tool).

    thanks in advance.

     

     

    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 3:52 AM

Answers

  • I discovered the problem - the user I was trying to set as the owner was in a group that did not have security priviledges set for custom entity.  thanks all
    Thursday, April 1, 2010 12:02 AM

All replies

  • When you do the import, you have an option to select enither your are the records' owner or assign to someone.

    If you want to use the import tool to import these records, you can seperated it to different CSV and setup different imports. It will work if you dont have a lots of different owners

     

    BTW I am not sure if data migration manager can set map the owner correctly. but you may want to try it out :)


    Best Regard Vincent L
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 5:58 AM
  • I have tried that, and though it works as advertised for the standard entities (contact, account, etc.) , it doesn't seem to for a custom entity that I created - the owner value always gets assigned to me on the records imported (even after selecting another user as "owner" during the import process).  Either I'm doing something wrong, or it's a bug in the s/w....
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 2:14 PM
  • I have tried that, and though it works as advertised for the standard entities (contact, account, etc.) , it doesn't seem to for a custom entity that I created - the owner value always gets assigned to me on the records imported (even after selecting another user as "owner" during the import process).  Either I'm doing something wrong, or it's a bug in the s/w....
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 2:14 PM
  • do you have any workflows running on the custom entity that would change the owner field when the record is created? 


    Best Regards | Twitter: edwardsdna
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 5:49 PM
  • You can also import the Owner into a dummy field hidden from the form. Then (but before the import itself) create a workflow that will redistribute the records based on that. If you already have some sort of a WF for record redistribution, you can easily check if a record was created by an import .
    Friday, March 26, 2010 9:23 AM
  • I tried importing a test record from a CSV file which contained just the Name column for a custom entity. The Data Import Wizard asked me which user to assign the record to and once imported it was correctly assigned to this user and not assigned to my user account. So I think CRM 4.0 works as advertised, so it might be some customisation on your system which is causing the problem.

    Neil

    Friday, March 26, 2010 9:49 AM
    Moderator
  • I discovered the problem - the user I was trying to set as the owner was in a group that did not have security priviledges set for custom entity.  thanks all
    Thursday, April 1, 2010 12:02 AM