Server appears to be offline RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I see other people with this problem, but didn't see a sollution.  I have tried openning ports in the firewall but no luck.  I'm trying to run the launchpad on Windows 7 64 bit.  I can remote into the server but backups are not running.

Thanks for the help.

John

Friday, August 5, 2011 4:25 PM

All replies

•  Try uninstalling NET 4.0 AND the Connector Software. Reboot and then install them again. I'm not sure what happen but for about a day I had problems getting the connector to install on my HTPC and it wouldn't. I even tried uninstalling NET 4.0 as well, but didn't reboot. Well when I finally rebooted (its my primary source of watching TV, had to wait for an opening) and installed it again, it worked!

But then I went to check on its backup progress and it said the server was offline when I know its not. Unlike you I can't get Remote Access to work and haven't tried Remote Desktop either. I can sort of do without it, Add-on's can be install from any client machine.

Anyway, I uninstalled NET 4.0 and the Connector again, re-installed and now its connected to the server.

Friday, August 5, 2011 4:43 PM
  • Ok.  Tried uninstalling net 4.0 and connector and rebooted.  No joy.  Never had any kind of problems with v1.  Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Saturday, August 6, 2011 4:17 PM
  • So I tried turning off ipv6, didn't help.  I have Uverse and the router doesn't support upnp.  Also I'm getting the same on the other computer I tried to install it on.  Both are 64bit.  Been trying to get the connection working for 3 weeks now.

Saturday, August 6, 2011 10:34 PM
  • I am having similar issues with WHS 2011.  I can connect fine from inside my network and files access seems fine too.  But I cannot access the server from the web.  I tried using Launchpad, Dashboard, and remote desktop.  No connection.  It keeps acting as though the server is not online, but I KNOW it is. I have checked all the settings 3 times.  Web access is enabled, as is remote desktop.  The server pings using the IP fine.

The client machine is running Win 7 64 bit as well.

ANy resolutions??

Monday, August 8, 2011 12:35 PM
  • ... I tried using Launchpad, Dashboard, and remote desktop.  No connection.  It keeps acting as though the server is not online, but I KNOW it is. I have checked all the settings 3 times.  Web access is enabled, as is remote desktop.  The server pings using the IP fine.

You appear to have a different issue than the original poster: you say everything's fine from within your home network, but you can't access your server from afar. The server is only accessible from afar if you use the Remote Access web site, i.e. http://yourserver.homeserver.com (or whatever your vanity URL might be). The Launchpad won't connect to your server, nor will the dashboard or remote desktop.

Note: if you're trying to reach your server using the Remote Access web site from within your home, you should try from a coffee shop, library, etc. because some routers can't handle a "loopback" connection properly. Don't try from your office, as many businesses block some or all ports to prevent undesirable use of their networks. (They might also block access to certain web sites to help prevent malware problems.)

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, August 8, 2011 1:23 PM
  • But I read that you can remote access files on the server using the "Remote Web Access" menu item from the Launchpad. 

My issue is that I cannot connect to the server using the Launchpad.  It will only connect from within  my home network.  I should be able to access the same from any network connection.

I can't get the " http://yourserver.homeserver.com "  Pattern.  I get nothing. 

edward s england
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 3:12 PM
  • As Ken says, you should be able to access http://yourserver.homeserver.com with a web browser from outside your home network - if not you have a fundamental problem such as your router port forwarding is not set up correctly. What does Remote Assess in Server Settings in the Dashboard say regarding remote access availability?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 3:26 PM
  • Well it looks like my issue has been some what hijacked, which is ok.  I have no problem reaching my server outside my home network.  I was able to get launch pad installed and up and running on another 64 bit window 7 box.  So the problem isn't ports or Uverse.  I think the problem might be my network driver.  My mother board uses the nvida(sp) 590 chipset.  It has 2 network ports on the motherboard.  I'm tring to update the driver.  I'll post if this turns out to be the problem.

John

Tuesday, August 9, 2011 5:42 PM
  • Uninstall any Anti Virus and then try it agian.

I had exactly the same problem. Removing the Anti Virus worked.

Sunday, January 15, 2012 4:14 PM
  • John,

I have the exact same problem, running WHS2011 under VMWare Player on a 2 processor, 4 core system. Not sure if it relates to your problem, and if you solved it already.

As the documentation states that two cores are supported, I tried to increase the number of cores to 2 under VMWare, immediately causing the problem as described by you. The problem goes away if the moment that I reduce the number of processor (cores) back to 1 under VMWare.

I can reliably recreate the problem by increasing and decreasing the number of cores. So it seems as if under VMWare, WHS2011 regards a core as a processor and only a single core on multi-core processors can be used.

HTH.

Willem

Friday, March 9, 2012 6:49 AM
  • I can reliably recreate the problem by increasing and decreasing the number of cores. So it seems as if under VMWare, WHS2011 regards a core as a processor and only a single core on multi-core processors can be used.

At the end of the day, it's not Windows Home Server but VMWare that determines how virtual CPU cores appear to the guest OS. Windows Home Server just uses the "hardware" it sees. So if VMWare delivers multiple single core processors instead of a multi-core processor to a guest OS, Windows Home Server's processor limit is a single socket.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Friday, March 9, 2012 11:51 AM
  • Hello

Found the problem, it was in my host file.  When I removed the server address from my host file, I was able to connect and backup.  what is strange it was the correct IP address for the server.  And I could remote in using the name before taking it out of my host file.  So happy dance for a couple of days.

On a side note I broke it again.  I had installed visual studio preview 11 which installs .net 4.5.  TurboTax doesn't like .net 4.5 and just dies when starting up.  So I uninstalled the visual studio and the .net 4.5.  Did a repair install of TurboTax so that it would install .net 4.0.  So now TurboTax works but now the connector doesn't.  So there also seems to be a problem with the version of .net 4.0 that TurboTax installs.  After I finish my TurboTax I'll try to fix it.  Atleast I got a couple of backups done before it broke.

John

Saturday, March 10, 2012 12:09 AM
  • Go to the disk management program on the server. To find it type in disk management in the search window and click on the result.  Then go to the disk that is offline and right click.  Check the online command and I believe your issue will be resolved.

Night Owl

Monday, April 30, 2012 2:49 AM