Import Organization fails with EntityMetadataNotFoundException RRS feed

• Question

• This is a clean Dynamics 4.0 organization that I was moving to another server but, the import fails with the following error. How can I resolve this error?

3:12:10|  Error| Import Organization (Name=OrganizationName, Id=8798c037-ac7c-dd11-a4e5-001d09f2dfa7) failed with Exception:
    Microsoft.Crm.Metadata.EntityMetadataNotFoundException: The entity with a name = 'incident' was not found in the MetadataCache.
       at Microsoft.Crm.Metadata.DynamicMetadataCache.GetEntity(String entityName)
       at Microsoft.Crm.Tools.Admin.PublishHelper.GetEntityMetadata(IOrganizationContext context, String entityName)
       at Microsoft.Crm.ObjectModel.WorkflowServiceInternal`1.AddSdkMessageDependencies(List`1 dependencies, ExecutionContext context, WorkflowStep workflowStep)
       at Microsoft.Crm.ObjectModel.WorkflowServiceInternal`1.CreateDefinitionFromObjectModel(ExecutionContext context, WorkflowEntity definition, List`1 dependencies, List`1 customActivityIds)
       at Microsoft.Crm.ObjectModel.WorkflowServiceInternal`1.PublishInPlace(WorkflowEntity definition, ExecutionContext context)
       at Microsoft.Crm.Tools.Admin.ImportOrganizationInstaller.RepublishWorkflow(ExecutionContext context, WorkflowUIData workflowData)
       at Microsoft.Crm.Tools.Admin.ImportOrganizationInstaller.ProcessWorkflowUIData(ExecutionContext context)
       at Microsoft.Crm.Tools.Admin.ImportOrganizationInstaller.Import(Guid organizationId, String organizationUniqueName, String organizationFriendlyName, String sqlServerName, String databaseName, Uri reportServerUrl, String privilegedUserGroupName, String sqlAccessGroupName, String userGroupName, String reportingGroupName, String privilegedReportingGroupName, ICollection`1 users, MultipleTenancy multipleTenancy)
    Sunday, September 7, 2008 7:19 AM

Answers

• Beaut. I was having the same issue, it was throwing an exception on something called "GetAttributeMetadata".

Once I did the re-installation without updating during the installation, it started to work. Interesting.

Paul J.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 4:23 AM

All replies

• I am haveing the same issue, but with Contacts - anyone get a solution?

Monday, September 15, 2008 9:12 PM
  • I am also experiencing this issue today.  In this case, I am simply trying to re-import an Organization after a re-install of the CRM server software.

1. Organization A was functioning normally, and has been for the past 6 months on this server.
    2. Just this morning, the CRM Server was uninstalled and re-installed on the server.
    3. In Deployment Manager, I went to import Organization A and it fails with the above message.
    4. Opened the MetadataSchema.Entity table and verified the existance of the entity the error is referencing.

Pretty much at a loss of how to proceed.  We've got to get this customer DB back up and running.

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 4:24 PM
  • Hi,

I was experiencing the same issue and the following steps resolved it.

1. Uninstall CRM
    2. Reinstall but do not update setup files during setup
    3. Import Organization using Deployment Manager. Should work now

Enda

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 3:08 PM
  • Yes, you're right!

There is something in the updated installation files that prevents older organizations from being imported.

Don't know how that one slipped through QA.

Friday, September 26, 2008 1:56 PM
  • Beaut. I was having the same issue, it was throwing an exception on something called "GetAttributeMetadata".

Once I did the re-installation without updating during the installation, it started to work. Interesting.

Paul J.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 4:23 AM
  • Same problem here, but reinstalling a live environment is a definite no no.

There is no fix yet?

Monday, October 6, 2008 9:47 AM
  • Same problem here too.. Trouble is we're doing a 2008 install so need to update the setup files Sad

Keith

Monday, October 6, 2008 3:32 PM
  • ditto to Keith.  We are migrating to Server '08/SQL '08 and receive the above error message.  Any ETA on a fix for this?

Cameron
    Tuesday, October 7, 2008 1:37 PM
  •  

Hi Cameron,

Microsoft have released a hotfix for this issue,  needs to be requested in the usual way..

KB 957792

Regards,

Keith

Wednesday, October 8, 2008 4:21 PM