"Security", "genuine"? RRS feed

• Question

• Extract from Microsoft FAQ site.
    TUV-IT has confirmed that Microsoft does not process any data .......that it does not interfere with any software programmes.....and it does not conflict with data protection laws.
    Well, can one really believe any statement made by anyone paid to say what the payer wants them to say?
    Since this abomination WGA has been installed on my computer I have been having problems.   Today, for instance, after an hours' typing in a Word document that supposedly saved every five minutes I decided I would like to listen to some music while working.   I put in a CD, selected Media Player and my computer promptly rebooted!    When I finally got to open  my document there was not trace of the hours' work that I had just put in.   Perhaps Microsoft had somehow engineered for such a thing to happen.  Never happened before!   I am such a suspicious *** that I am beginning to wonder about all this so-called security about which Microsoft keeps bleating!
    Monday, May 29, 2006 4:57 AM

Answers

• I am not sure just where your "infallible" argument that ".....WGA could not have caused the problem....." originated. I can only reiterate ".......Since this abomination WGA has been installed on my computer I have been having problems" My "sub-standard or defective hardware" had been working perfectly up until that time. This particular appellation could only be applied to the software ie Windows XP and/or WGA.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 4:09 AM
  • Since I woke up this morning it has been cold in Sydney Australia, I sincerely apologise to the people of Sydney for whom I made it cold today.  Whoops, no I don't, just because something happened doesn't mean everything after it was caused by it, that's a flawed argument.  I know you are frustrated but ranting won't help.  Consider getting genuine Windows and you can count on a more stable system.
    Monday, June 5, 2006 12:18 PM

All replies

• WGA would not have caused the problem you experienced. Perhaps your problem lies with sub-standard or defective hardware.
    Monday, May 29, 2006 7:40 PM
  • I am not sure just where your "infallible" argument that ".....WGA could not have caused the problem....." originated. I can only reiterate ".......Since this abomination WGA has been installed on my computer I have been having problems" My "sub-standard or defective hardware" had been working perfectly up until that time. This particular appellation could only be applied to the software ie Windows XP and/or WGA.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 4:09 AM
  • Since I woke up this morning it has been cold in Sydney Australia, I sincerely apologise to the people of Sydney for whom I made it cold today.  Whoops, no I don't, just because something happened doesn't mean everything after it was caused by it, that's a flawed argument.  I know you are frustrated but ranting won't help.  Consider getting genuine Windows and you can count on a more stable system.
    Monday, June 5, 2006 12:18 PM
  • What a fallacious piece of gratuitous stupidity!
    Monday, July 3, 2006 7:17 AM
  • Cynic,

The symptoms you cite are not in any way connected to WGA.  End of story.  Stupid or otherwise it's correct.

But I guess if you believe nothing and trust nobody there is no amount of cold, clinical fact that will sway you that Microsoft protecting it's investment in no way blew up your media playing program; so I won't post to this thread anymore.  Doing so would be 'stupid'.
    Monday, July 3, 2006 7:24 AM
  • From the original Windows XP EULA:

"There are technological measures in this Software that are designed to prevent unlicensed use of the Software. Microsoft will use those measures to confirm you have a legally licensed copy of the Software. If you are not using a licensed copy of the Software, you are not allowed to install the Software or future Software updates. Microsoft will not collect any personally identifiable information from your Workstation Computer during this process."

While a user may own the computer, they do not own the license For Windows XP. Microsoft owns the license and the end user only purchases the use of the license under the terms of the EULA they agreed to prior to installing.

Sunday, July 9, 2006 5:05 PM