My "System" storage has grown to 1.1TB - is this normal? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Greetings,

This morning my WHS showed a yellow alert saying that folder duplication was failing. Looking at the details there are messages about not enough disk space.

I have 4 1TB disks plus one 250GB and one 300GB for a total of 4.14TB. When I look at the console "server storage" tab I see that "System" shows 1.1TB usage. I doubt this is normal, the system shouldn't be using 26% of my total storage space.

Here is a screen shot of my Server Storage display. Can anyone suggest how I can fix this problem?

thanks in advance

Saturday, July 26, 2008 11:00 AM

All replies

•  politby wrote:
    Greetings,

This morning my WHS showed a yellow alert saying that folder duplication was failing. Looking at the details there are messages about not enough disk space.

I have 4 1TB disks plus one 250GB and one 300GB for a total of 4.14TB. When I look at the console "server storage" tab I see that "System" shows 1.1TB usage. I doubt this is normal, the system shouldn't be using 26% of my total storage space.

Here is a screen shot of my Server Storage display. Can anyone suggest how I can fix this problem?

thanks in advance

I'm assuming you installed PP1, right?  If so, it may be "normal".  With PP1, any file that is not part of the network shares or backup database is considered a system file.  For example, do you have any files on a WHS drive that is not under the control of WHS?  It could also be your Shadow Copies (although that seems like A LOT of shadows).

Saturday, July 26, 2008 1:06 PM
  • Also note that because you are using different size disks, it's possible that one disk just doesn't have enough space for duplication from a larger disk.

For better efficiency and utilisation, WHS works best if, after the system drive, all others are added in pairs of the same size, particularly if you envisage using duplication.

It might help if you installed the Disk Management Add-In, it gives quite a lot more information regarding each individual disk.

Colin

Saturday, July 26, 2008 2:52 PM