none
Very Confused RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone, I'm feel dumb asking this question, but I have been trying to find the answer with no luck. I am looking to run a clusted setup for financial modeling, but the program I use to optimize is not supported according to Microsofts HPC site. 

The question I have is, when you run a clustered setup using windows HPC server, does this mean all my programs running are spread over each node? or just the jobs I setup up to work with the nodes? 

This is where I am most confused, yes it is a HPC setup, but does that mean your system is just faster as a whole, or just apps that work under the HPC cluster?

I guess what I am trying to say is, HPC sounds nice, but the more I read about it, the more I am understanding it is not GUI based, and you need compatiable programs to take advantage of the speed...Does this sound right? or will it actually make everything and anything I run faster?

Thanks in advance. 

T. 
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 5:16 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The programs that you can run on an HPC cluster are usually classified as embarrassedly parallel, where each process can run separately on each node without being aware of each other. Or a program that is written specifically to take advantage of the cluster, like an MPI program or a SOA program.

An HPC cluster would not magically make your programs run faster.

thanks,
    .Erez
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 9:31 PM