Your Windows license will expire in x days RRS feed

• Question

• I followed this thread and the recommendations to uninstall SP1 (which I had tried to do prior to reading the suggestion).

I have an HP Pavilion that did not come with disks (so I can't do the "offline restore" procedure and I only have one month's worth of restore points and I installed the SP1 Beta in January.

I might add, everything was functioning fine with this beta candidate, so I don't understand why it has to expire.

The uninstall fails completely without any explanation as to why. It just states that some of the components could not be installed.

I performed all the Microsoft validations available at the WGA/MGA sites. 

What is going to happen when the x days are up?

ryarlett wrote:

I have a genuine copy of Vista Home Premium, why am I getting the following message each time I boot my PC?

"Your Windows license will expire in 6 days - Back up your files and then install any edition of Windows Vista"

I have validated my copy using the Genuine Advantage website and it says my copy is genuine.

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 8:06 PM

Answers

• Hello MrTobyLo,

I see from thread http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3530387&SiteID=25 that you already know that your issue is caused by the Release Candidate 1 of Service Pack 1.

In that other thread I stated:

Darin Smith MS wrote:

I suggest that you follow the steps found in the support doc "How to uninstall Windows Vista SP1 as a troubleshooting step" http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948537/en-us or go to http://support.microsoft.com/ph/11732#tab0 There is information on known Service Pack 1 issues as well as a link to Free Service Pack 1 support.

So since the "How to uninstall Windows Vista SP1 as a troubleshooting step" doc did not work for you, then (as I suggested above) suggest going to http://support.microsoft.com/ph/11732#tab0  and access the known SP1 information or use the link to the Free Service Pack 1 support.

MrTobyLo wrote:

Yes, your Vista is fully Genuine. Your issue is not related to WGA, MGA or any other Anti-piracy technology. Your issue is cause by having RC1 of SP1 install after the date that RC1 is set to expire.

MrTobyLo wrote:

...everything was functioning fine with this beta candidate, so I don't understand why it has to expire.

Because it is a Release Candidate. A Candidate to be Release only if there were no major bugs. Microsoft has no way to know ahead of time that the Release Candidate would 'function fine'.  Microsoft sets most of it's Beta and Release Candidate software to expire at some point. This is because Microsoft does not want it's customer to continue to run non-release software that could possibly have major issues.  Would you rather have random crashes or other problems caused by some buggy Release Candidate software that you forgot you even had installed or some harmless Pop-up and "Evaluation" text on your desktop prompting you to uninstall the RC1?

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Manager 

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 10:42 PM

All replies

• Here's my MGA DiagTool results:

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0095.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0
    Online Validation Code: 0x0
    Cached Validation Code: 0x0
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-27HYQ-XTKW2-WQD8Q
    Windows Product Key Hash: U8YEZzymoD4DMyaMb32rPrNIS90=
    Windows Product ID: 89578-OEM-7332157-00061
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 6.0.6001.2.00010300.1.0.003
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    ID: {271EAD11-7062-4170-B3C4-B2424EF4629F}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.69.2
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium
    Architecture: 0x00000000
    Build lab: 6001.longhorn_rc1.071129-2315
    TTS Error:
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: 6.0.6001.18000

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WGATray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 8:26 PM
  • Hello MrTobyLo,

I see from thread http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3530387&SiteID=25 that you already know that your issue is caused by the Release Candidate 1 of Service Pack 1.

In that other thread I stated:

Darin Smith MS wrote:

I suggest that you follow the steps found in the support doc "How to uninstall Windows Vista SP1 as a troubleshooting step" http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948537/en-us or go to http://support.microsoft.com/ph/11732#tab0 There is information on known Service Pack 1 issues as well as a link to Free Service Pack 1 support.

So since the "How to uninstall Windows Vista SP1 as a troubleshooting step" doc did not work for you, then (as I suggested above) suggest going to http://support.microsoft.com/ph/11732#tab0  and access the known SP1 information or use the link to the Free Service Pack 1 support.

MrTobyLo wrote:

Yes, your Vista is fully Genuine. Your issue is not related to WGA, MGA or any other Anti-piracy technology. Your issue is cause by having RC1 of SP1 install after the date that RC1 is set to expire.

MrTobyLo wrote:

...everything was functioning fine with this beta candidate, so I don't understand why it has to expire.

Because it is a Release Candidate. A Candidate to be Release only if there were no major bugs. Microsoft has no way to know ahead of time that the Release Candidate would 'function fine'.  Microsoft sets most of it's Beta and Release Candidate software to expire at some point. This is because Microsoft does not want it's customer to continue to run non-release software that could possibly have major issues.  Would you rather have random crashes or other problems caused by some buggy Release Candidate software that you forgot you even had installed or some harmless Pop-up and "Evaluation" text on your desktop prompting you to uninstall the RC1?

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Manager 

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 10:42 PM
  • Hey Darin Smith, I don't like your attitude towards your tens of millions of customers. I too have this problem. I even spent an hour on the phone yesterday with the Windows Activation Dept and a supervisor provided me with a new Product Key. They didn't know either. The new Product Key did not solve the problem and they said to re-install my Vista. Easy for them to say EXTREMELY ANNOYING for the Microsoft customer.

The ONLY indication to the user is a TERRIFYING Window that pops up very briefly every second day to say ONLY "Your Windows License will expire in 5 days. Back up your files and then install any edition of Windows Vista". That SCARES THE *** OUT OF YOUR MILLIONS OF CUSTOMERS experiencing this. Your customers don't have ESP to read the minds of your developers who unthoughtfuly FORGOT to add to that message a REASON for the misleading message. It should say WHY and WHAT to do about it. Something like what you just explained. "Please uninstall your Service Pack 1 Release Candidate (and do NOT call it SP1 RC). Click here for more info". Etc. However it would be better of Microsoft to detect that the OS has SP1 RC, uninstall it and then install the final SP1.

Microsoft now has the burden of dealing with millions of customers that are just as confused as the few people reading this thread.

A frustrated user with the arrogant attitude of unthoughtful, narrow-minded developers.

Rick

Thursday, June 26, 2008 7:20 PM
  • Hello Cyberider,

My job is (to the best of my ability) help resolve customer's issues and answer customer questions. I believe I do it well because I really enjoy helping people. If you feel I am providing that help in an arrogant manner, then I am truly sorry I have come accross that way.  But to be honest, while I would like my good nature to come thru in all my posts, I feel it is secondary to the actual information that will ultimatly resolve that person's issue.

Thank you for your feedback,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

p.s.  I completly agree that the error messaging for then the Release Candidate is expiring is terrible, but (and not to down play your concerns) Release Candidate software is Non-Release "Beta" (by definition, potentially buggy) software. If a user doesn't feel confortable with with the software possibly causing minor to major issues, I highly recommend to that user to Not install any Alpha, Beta, Release Candidate or any other kind of Non-Release software.

Thursday, June 26, 2008 9:59 PM
  • I had a Microsoft SP1 technician spend 1hr and 22minutes via remote desktop in my computer trying to uninstall SP1 RC. They were not able to. No where in my entire operating system does it say "RC", nowhere. The developers of SP1 RC "forgot" to call it "RC", forgot to put "evaluation version" in the computer properties, forgot to provide a means of uninstalling it and forgot to put a proper warning msg to their users. I'm now faced with rebuilding four installs in my office from scratch within the next five days. There goes my weekend not to mention the two weeks it took me to build this install image in the first place plus all the activation phones for the various installs. It's horrible to think of how many other users are out there with no clue as to what is really going on with this weird license will expire message. The SP1 support team says that Microsoft has no plans to make a patch or fix of any kind to deal with those systems where SP1 RC can not be uninstalled. Support said you cannot even trick your Vista into an "upgrade" out of this "evaluation SP1 RC" problem.

This would also explain all the time I wasted to no avail at being unsuccesful at installing Windows Server 2008 resource kit for Vista that needed SP1 installed which my system says SP1 but the developers forgot to put "RC".

Rick

Friday, June 27, 2008 2:15 AM