Unable to install WHS Connector software on WIndows XP RRS feed

• Question

• I'm hoping someone can help me with this problem.

I've been using WHS happily for half a year.  I have a Windows 7 desktop and XP laptop.  I recently reinstalled XP on my laptop.  I went to reinstall the connector software on my laptop and after I put in the Home Server password it tells me "the operation cannot be completed at this time".  I installed the toolkit, and it tells me that the connector software version I'm attempting to install is incompatible with my Home Server.

I attempted to install it from homeserver:55000, homeserver:56000, and also downloading the connector software from the MS website.  All give me the same problem.
    I have PP3 on my WHS and XP SP3 on my laptop.

My desktop can access the WHS just fine through the network, the console, and remote desktop.  My laptop can still access the shares and use remote desktop, just can't install the connector.
    Friday, January 8, 2010 12:19 AM

Answers

All replies

• Could be firewall issue. You can try:

1. Disconnect you network from internet (Disconnect DSL / Cable connection))
    2. Disable third part and windows firewall on the client, then try again.
    3. If this works re-enable firewall, then restore internet connection

If you can't or do not want to disconnect your network from the internet you can try:

1. On the client make sure Windows firewall is enabled, set to default settings, then disable or uninstall any third part security software, reboot client
    2. Try installing connector again
    3. If this works you may choose to re-enable/reinstall third party security software

Could also be a problem with DNS server settings in your network, if so the first solution (physically disconnect network from the internet) should do the trick.
    Friday, January 8, 2010 1:49 PM
  • I don't really think it's a firewall or network issue.  I did try the first thing you suggested and it didn't work.  The connector is able to locate the server and download files so I know it can find it and connect to it.

It's a clean install of XP.  Pretty much the only thing on it is Firefox and Visual Studio at the moment.
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 12:11 AM
  • I don't really think it's a firewall or network issue.  I did try the first thing you suggested and it didn't work.  The connector is able to locate the server and download files so I know it can find it and connect to it.

It's a clean install of XP.  Pretty much the only thing on it is Firefox and Visual Studio at the moment.
    You might try completely disabling the firewall on both client and server, then try to install it.  Also, why did you reinstall XP in the first place?
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 6:47 PM
  • You might try completely disabling the firewall on both client and server, then try to install it.  Also, why did you reinstall XP in the first place?
    With both firewalls disabled, it still doesn't work.  And I reinstalled XP on the laptop because I wanted a clean slate and to reformat the drive as one big partition instead of two partitions.

Why do you both think it has something to do with the firewall, when I can access it over the network, RDP, and even the connector software installer and WHS toolkit can find it?

Going on the theme of an incorrect version of the connector software, when was PP3 released?  I thought it was sometime in November.  All of my connector installer files show a modified date of 10/07/09.  Shouldn't they have the date that PP3 was installed, since they had to be upgraded?
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 11:58 PM
  • With both firewalls disabled, it still doesn't work.  And I reinstalled XP on the laptop because I wanted a clean slate and to reformat the drive as one big partition instead of two partitions.

Why do you both think it has something to do with the firewall, when I can access it over the network, RDP, and even the connector software installer and WHS toolkit can find it?

Because there are other ports used, but if you disabled both firewalls (and any security suites installed on either machine as well), that eliminates that possibility.

Going on the theme of an incorrect version of the connector software, when was PP3 released?

November 24, 2009.

I thought it was sometime in November.  All of my connector installer files show a modified date of 10/07/09.  Shouldn't they have the date that PP3 was installed, since they had to be upgraded?
    No, that's the date those files were compiled at MS.  However, the modified date of the Home Server Connector Software folder should have the date/time the folder was last updated (which should be when you installed PP3).

Anyway, you could try running chkdsk /r on your client or doing another clean install of XP (and don't install any apps on it until you install the Connector software).
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 1:45 AM
  • Finally found the answer after searching online and looking at my WHS event viewer.

The problem turned out to be that my WHS was failing to issue a security certificate.
    Had to give SERVER\Administrators Full Control for this directory: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys.

Here's the thread I found about it: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/whssoftware/thread/cb6f7e5e-44a3-401b-a414-be4d931f7e14

Thanks for your help guys.
    • Marked as answer by VirtualMe1 Sunday, January 10, 2010 3:51 AM
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 3:19 AM
  • Interesting, this one is new to me. Good work and thanks for posting the solution!

Sunday, January 10, 2010 6:41 AM