Windows XP Pro S3 RRS feed

• Question

• I had recently purchased two copies of Windows XP Pro SP3. I had noticed that each disk had a different part number. One was Part No. X10-59871 with SP3, and a copyright of 2004. This had me puzzled because the other Part No. was X14-72249 also with SP3 with 2008 copyright. Was part no. X10-59871 used with SP3? I ran into descriptions of Win XP Pro with SP2. But it appears dated to be used with SP3.

One set, the former, is for  SKU  E85-05683, the later is for SKU  E85-05103.

I am wondering whether these are copies?
    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP, Editor Wednesday, July 29, 2009 1:43 PM Moved to correct category. (From:Feedback and Comments)
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 4:14 AM

Answers

• Hello linrom,

To be honest, I have no knowledge regarding Windows Disc Part numbers.

If you are asking if your Windows XP Pro discs are Pirate Copies then the Part Numbers wouldn't be much use anyways, since the pirats could put whatevet part number they wanted to, on the disc.

I recommend that if you are worried about the legitimacy of your software, return it for a refund and only buy from trustworthy retailers. You could also go to http://microsoft.com/howtotell and compare your Discs with pictures of Genuine discs. 

Hope that helps,
    Darin MS 
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 6:27 PM

All replies

• Hello linrom,

To be honest, I have no knowledge regarding Windows Disc Part numbers.

If you are asking if your Windows XP Pro discs are Pirate Copies then the Part Numbers wouldn't be much use anyways, since the pirats could put whatevet part number they wanted to, on the disc.

I recommend that if you are worried about the legitimacy of your software, return it for a refund and only buy from trustworthy retailers. You could also go to http://microsoft.com/howtotell and compare your Discs with pictures of Genuine discs. 

Hope that helps,
    Darin MS 
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 6:27 PM
  • Thanks for your reply. Ultimately the answer could be as simple as Microsoft Manufacturer using up their existing old parts inventory. I fired off emails to various dealers/sellers and requested part information, but so far, none had responded.
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 8:20 PM
  • Here is something for Microsoft to consider. I did get a few responses from Win XP Pro SP3 distributors and they gave me two different part nos so far. Of particular interest is part no X10-52148. I see this part number referred to just about every single Microsoft product made. Unfortunately this is not a product number for Office, Win XP Home, Win XP Pro SP1/SP2/SP3, Win XP Pro x4, Win Server 2003 etc. All these dealers think that is the Manufacturer product number of those products. But, all X10-52148 is--- just a blank CD part number.
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 10:11 PM