Product Key is in use RRS feed

• Question

• I work at a small college and we currently have site licensing (MAK?) for Windows XP and Vista Enterprise.  We also have one copy of Vista Ultimate.  We previously installed it on another machine, but for various reasons, we ended up bringing that machine back to Vista Enterprise (format and reinstall).  I then installed that copy of Ultimate on another machine, but now I continually get the error "The product key you typed is already in use".  I understand this is in many ways a self-created issue, but now we are looking at having to reload another machine and end up with a licensed copy of Ultimate we cannot use.  Is there any way to "de-activate" the key?  Could we have done something before reimaging the other machine that would have released the product key to be used?
    Thursday, April 5, 2007 2:26 PM

Answers

• I really do appreciate your responses.  As it turns out, the problem was quite easy (although not intuitive) to resolve.  I didn't find the fix on this site (even though this site returns first results for a Google search on the error, which is how I got here).  I found the solution here:

http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=715080

Basically, you just use the phone validation, which will fail, then speak to a human, explain your situation, and they make the old activation code invalid and give you a new one.  All in all, a very reasonable solution.  The whole process took about 15 minutes.
    Thursday, April 5, 2007 9:09 PM

All replies

• Hello,

This forum is dedicated to validation issues, and it looks like you're having an issue with activation.  Please use the following link to get to the forum annoucement where you can find the right place to get your answer.  Thank you!

http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1165788&SiteID=25

Thursday, April 5, 2007 5:56 PM
  • Thanks for your reply.  I followed the link you provided, where I found the following quote:

"WGA and Product Activation are very different things, and Activation questions do not belong in this forum."

So it seems that is not the right place either.  I am now following links from that forum to see if I can, indeed, get to where I need to be.
    Thursday, April 5, 2007 6:20 PM
  • That's right.  That post is an annoucement in this forum.
    Thursday, April 5, 2007 6:28 PM
  • I really do appreciate your responses.  As it turns out, the problem was quite easy (although not intuitive) to resolve.  I didn't find the fix on this site (even though this site returns first results for a Google search on the error, which is how I got here).  I found the solution here:

http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=715080

Basically, you just use the phone validation, which will fail, then speak to a human, explain your situation, and they make the old activation code invalid and give you a new one.  All in all, a very reasonable solution.  The whole process took about 15 minutes.
    Thursday, April 5, 2007 9:09 PM