License Transfer for Returned Laptop RRS feed

• Question

• I have just received a replacement laptop from PC World, as the original one I purchased two weeks ago suffered a crashed hard drive.  I've now completed the setup on this machine but am uncertain as to how to revoke the license on the returned machine.  It couldn't be uninstalled as the laptop had failed and was not functional.  The replacement machine is the exact same spec as the original, a Sony Vaio model VPCF11JOE.  I've loaded Office Home and Student 2010 on this machine today, but want to make sure I still have the other two licenses available for future PC purchases.  Can you please advise what I need to do to free up the license on the original machine.
    Sunday, September 19, 2010 4:09 PM

Answers

• I have just received a replacement laptop from PC World, as the original one I purchased two weeks ago suffered a crashed hard drive.  I've now completed the setup on this machine but am uncertain as to how to revoke the license on the returned machine.  It couldn't be uninstalled as the laptop had failed and was not functional.  The replacement machine is the exact same spec as the original, a Sony Vaio model VPCF11JOE.  I've loaded Office Home and Student 2010 on this machine today, but want to make sure I still have the other two licenses available for future PC purchases.  Can you please advise what I need to do to free up the license on the original machine.

Just install up to the three computers at the same time which is what the license would say, not three installations ever.  You can transfer licenses from one computer to another, pretty much as you wish as long as you only have it installed onto three computers at the same time.  You may have to use telephone activation if online activation fails.  Of course that is for a retail license of 2010 and not a Product Key Card install which is forever tied to the original computer it was installed onto, even if it dies 10 seconds after activation.
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, October 11, 2010 10:12 PM
    Sunday, September 19, 2010 4:40 PM