udpate crm3 to crm4 failed RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

after a bad update of MS CRM4 from CRM3, I reinstalled CRM 3 with existing database. It sems ok.

Now I would like to re-install update CRM4 but on check list, i have this error, and I can't continue (i wasn't have this error the first time I update CRM) :
    User entry of MS Dynamics CRM Server
    the group "<GUID=32f16d38-e54d-487d-a5fd-2d19ac8f334d>" does not exist

If I try to install CRM4 on another server, i block on the same error message
    In AD, I have groups : userprivgroup, sqlaccessgroup, but with different ID

Does I must create this group (i try but nothing happend) ? where find this GUID reference to eventually change to the actual groups ID ?

how I can remove this error and have my update clean ?

Thanks
    Thursday, April 24, 2008 7:56 AM

Answers

•  

Yes you could migrate the data in your TOTO CRM 3.0 organization to the TITI CRM 4.0 organization.  However, this will involve a lot of work exporting the data and maintaining relationships between the data and then importing the data into the CRM 4.0 system. If you decide to do this you might want to consider using a third-party tool such as Scribe.

I think you should spend more time on trying to upgrade your TOTO CRM 3.0 system to CRM 4.0. Once you've got that working you can copy the databases to another server (if you need to).

Monday, April 28, 2008 7:03 AM

All replies

•  

It sounds like your CRM 3 reinstallation hasn't fully worked.

I think I would make sure there is a backup of the CRM 3 databases, uninstall CRM 3, delete all the CRM AD groups and then try reinstalling CRM 3 before attempting to upgrade to 4.

Thursday, April 24, 2008 9:20 AM
  • thanks for your answer
    i will do that
    but, what are the users and groups needed for crm ?
    userprivgroup, sqlaccessgroup and ????
    best regards

Thursday, April 24, 2008 10:32 AM
  •  

CRM has a number of security groups:

PrivUserGroup

SQLAccesGroup

UserGroup

ReportingGroup

They'll each have a long number after them that will be different each time you install CRM. There is no need for you to create or manage these groups. The CRM installation does it all.

Thursday, April 24, 2008 10:40 AM
  • Thanks,

i test to install crm4 directly (not by update) on a virtual machine that connected to domaine;
    if i specify to create a new organisation, all checks are ok, and i can continue

but if i want to connect to the organisation (and then the database already existing), i have the message error post previously :

i think the group id is on the database, and i will risk to change it so :
    could i change this id on each table to the organization_mscrm database existing ?
    or
    after created the new organisation, can i transfert all data to the new organisation (with by example a migration tools ?)

thanks a lot

best regards

Xavier

PS : sorry for my bad english, but i am not english man
    Thursday, April 24, 2008 11:11 AM
  •  

You can't use CRM 4 to connect to a CRM 3 database. The only way to use a CRM 3 database in CRM 4 is to upgrade.

To transfer data from a CRM 3 database to a CRM 4 database you will need to have two CRM systems working (one version 3 and the other version 4). You could then use the CRM tools to migrate data.

Friday, April 25, 2008 6:53 AM
  • ok, thanks
    so can you details explain ?

my schema :
    crm 3 to srv1.mydomain.com // TOTO organization
    new install of crm 4 to srv2.mydomain.com // TITI organization

with the crm tools, i can migrate my TOTO organization to TITI ?
    i would like the organization to the crm4 will be TOTO (TITI is not necessary)
    then could i update (or remove and install new crm4) to the server which contain actual crm3 (on srv1) to reintegrate database and organization ?

finaly i would like (if possible) to the srv1 have crm4 with organization TOTO

but if i can't, just have a crm4 working with TOTO organization

Thanks a lot
    best regards

Friday, April 25, 2008 7:34 AM
  •  

Yes you could migrate the data in your TOTO CRM 3.0 organization to the TITI CRM 4.0 organization.  However, this will involve a lot of work exporting the data and maintaining relationships between the data and then importing the data into the CRM 4.0 system. If you decide to do this you might want to consider using a third-party tool such as Scribe.

I think you should spend more time on trying to upgrade your TOTO CRM 3.0 system to CRM 4.0. Once you've got that working you can copy the databases to another server (if you need to).

Monday, April 28, 2008 7:03 AM
  • ok, then

i finally success upgrade crm3 to crm4 setup installation, but when i'm connecting on web access, I have this error message (after login access) :

Server Error in '/' Application
    Object Name 'Entity' not valid

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Object Name 'Entity' not valid

[SqlException (0x80131904): Nom d'objet 'Entity' non valide.] System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection) +925466 System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection) +800118 System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj) +186 System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj) +1932 System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.ConsumeMetaData() +31 System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.get_MetaData() +62 System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.FinishExecuteReader(SqlDataReader ds, RunBehavior runBehavior, String resetOptionsString) +297 System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReaderTds(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, Boolean async) +1005 System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method, DbAsyncResult result) +132 System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method) +32 System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior, String method) +122 System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteDbDataReader(CommandBehavior behavior) +12 System.Data.Common.DbCommand.System.Data.IDbCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior) +7 System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.FillInternal(DataSet dataset, DataTable[] datatables, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior) +141 System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior) +137 System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet, String srcTable) +83 Microsoft.Crm.CrmDbConnection.FillDataSet(IDbDataAdapter dataAdapter, DataSet dataSet, String tableName) +272 Microsoft.Crm.Metadata.DynamicMetadataCacheLoader.PopulateDataSet(CrmDbConnection connection, IDbTransaction transaction, String dataSetName, ReadOnlyCollection`1 fillProperties) +286 Microsoft.Crm.Metadata.MultiOrgSharableMetadataCacheLoader.BuildDataSet(LoadMasks masks, CrmDbConnection connection, IDbTransaction transaction) +1679 Microsoft.Crm.Metadata.DynamicMetadataCacheLoader.LoadDatSetFromDatabase(LoadMasks masks, CrmDbConnection connection, CrmTransaction transaction, Guid organizationId) +247 Microsoft.Crm.Metadata.DynamicMetadataCacheLoader.LoadCacheFromDatabaseInternal(LoadMasks masks, CrmDbConnection connection, CrmTransaction transaction, Guid organizationId) +50 Microsoft.Crm.Metadata.DynamicMetadataCacheLoader.LoadCacheFromDatabase(LoadMasks masks, IOrganizationContext context) +168 Microsoft.Crm.Metadata.DynamicMetadataCacheFactory.LoadMetadataCache(LoadMethod method, CacheType type, IOrganizationContext context) +355 Microsoft.Crm.Metadata.MetadataCache.LoadCache(IOrganizationContext context) +312 Microsoft.Crm.Metadata.MetadataCache.GetInstance(IOrganizationContext context) +286 Microsoft.Crm.BusinessEntities.BusinessEntityMoniker..ctor(Guid id, String entityName, Guid organizationId) +115 Microsoft.Crm.Caching.UserDataCacheLoader.LoadCacheData(Guid key, ExecutionContext context) +296 Microsoft.Crm.Caching.ObjectModelCacheLoader`2.LoadCacheData(TKey key, IOrganizationContext context) +389 Microsoft.Crm.Caching.BasicCrmCache`2.CreateEntry(TKey key, IOrganizationContext context) +82 Microsoft.Crm.Caching.BasicCrmCache`2.LookupEntry(TKey key, IOrganizationContext context) +108 Microsoft.Crm.BusinessEntities.SecurityLibrary.GetUserInfoInternal(WindowsIdentity identity, IOrganizationContext context, UserAuth& userInfo) +313 Microsoft.Crm.BusinessEntities.SecurityLibrary.GetCallerAndBusinessGuidsFromThread(WindowsIdentity identity, Guid organizationId) +194 Microsoft.Crm.Authentication.CrmWindowsIdentity..ctor(WindowsIdentity innerIdentity, Boolean publishCrmUser, Guid organizationId) +252 Microsoft.Crm.Authentication.WindowsAuthenticationProvider.Authenticate(HttpApplication application) +572 Microsoft.Crm.Authentication.AuthenticationStep.Authenticate(HttpApplication application) +125 Microsoft.Crm.Authentication.AuthenticationPipeline.Authenticate(HttpApplication application) +66 Microsoft.Crm.Authentication.AuthenticationEngine.Execute(Object sender, EventArgs e) +475 System.Web.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +92 System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +64

i specified on installation that a want to update an organization, but not demand to specified which

What this error means ?
    How I can revolve it ?

Tuesday, May 6, 2008 6:51 AM
  •  

No I don't know what the error message means.

Was the upgrade completely successfull?  Perhaps some of the logs will have some messages that didn't get displayed.

Tuesday, May 6, 2008 7:55 AM
  •  Feridun Kadir (MCT) wrote:

can you detail please ?
    if I haven't Scribe Migrate tools, can I import data from crm3 to crm4 ?
    i try to use toolbinary release 1 (crm map editor), but i can just connect to crm4, and i don't know how import my crm3 data
    i try too Mscrmimport_rel1 but i can't do anything

thanks

best regards
    Tuesday, May 6, 2008 11:44 AM
  •  

Importing data from CRM 3 to CRM 4 is not easy. As far as I know you will have to export everything that you want from CRM 3.0 into CSV files and then use the CRM4 Data import tool to load the data into a CRM 4 organisation.

The map editor helps you map fields from CSV files to the appropriate fields in CRM entities.

Mscrmimport, I believe, was for exporting data out of CRM 4 into csv files to be edited and then re-imnported.

Tuesday, May 6, 2008 12:52 PM
  • well

after some upgrade of crm, I finally could migrate correctly, and without error to crm 4. The web access is OK
    thanks for your help

Now, i would like to install Outlook CRM client, but on the configuration wizard, I have this error :
    "The configuration wizard cannot connect to the microsoft CRM server. This might indicate that the server is down.

client access to the crm web interface by this URL : crm.toto.org (port 80 with head of crm.toto.org) and with their login pass authentification

on the CRM server, the another port 5555 is functionnaly, but, in local (authentification doesn't functionne on client machine with this port)

on the configuration wizard of outlook client crm, when i enter url crm.toto.org I have this error message. If I try with srvcrm:5555, i have a 401 unauthorized error message

Why the configuration wizard does'nt able to connect to my crm server ?

Thanks
    Wednesday, May 7, 2008 12:26 PM
  • Good news on the upgrading.

With regard to Outlook, this is a known problem. Luckily there is a resolution!

It is a little involved and involves updating the CRM database and editing registry keys so be careful.

Here is a link to the Microsoft article that describes what to do:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947423

You won't need to do the bit about changing the port for the web site so start at step 2.

Wednesday, May 7, 2008 1:00 PM
  • thanks
    it's perfect
    best regards
    Wednesday, May 7, 2008 3:35 PM