none
Activation thread continued RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, you have locked my thread, so I have started a new one.

I have now purchased Windows XP Home Edition  OEM Software.

However, when I put the disc in the drive, the Activate Windows option still comes up, rather than the computer trying to read the disc in the drive.

Gerald
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 9:29 AM

Answers

• Hello GDJames,

It's unfortunate that you lost your data in the process of attempting to install a Dell OEM license for Windows XP on a non-Dell computer.

As for the loss of Office, this part of the posted report above shows that there was no Office installed on the computer at the time the report was run:
    OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: Registered, 2.0.48.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-258-3

Could you not simply reinstall Office from you Genuine Microsoft hologrammed installation CDs using the Product Key printed on the Genuine Office Certificate of Authenticity?

Perhaps taking the computer to a competent local shop, or enlisting the aid of a knowledgeable friend, could have prevented such a loss.  Regular backups of important documents could also have prevented such a loss.  Most people don't realize that the monetary value of their data (expressed in how many man-hours it would take to recreate the data, if that's even possible) is far, far in excess of the value of their computer and the installed software.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, November 4, 2009 8:39 PM
    Sunday, November 1, 2009 6:56 PM

All replies

• This is the previous thread, which is locked.

Users Medals

Cannot vote on a locked thread
    Diagnostic Report (1.9.0011.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Not Activated
    Validation Code: 1

Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-T6DFB-Y934T-YD4YT
    Windows Product Key Hash: 3g4CZGFEDgbKmn/oB4pa2FZsssU=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-OEM-2211906-00102
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro
    ID: {AA99BBB6-E6BE-44E3-8ED7-08EB5429FCF3}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.40.0
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-258-3
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 1
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.9.40.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Documents and Settings\Barfly\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{AA99BBB6-E6BE-44E3-8ED7-08EB5429FCF3}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0011.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-YD4YT</PKey><PID>55274-OEM-2211906-00102</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1078081533-1708537768-854245398</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>MSI                             </Manufacturer><Model>MS-6191                         </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.        </Manufacturer><Version>A6191O1 V1.06 30012001          </Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="2"/><Date>20010130000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>9EE73FE701842049</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaTray.exe" Version="1.9.40.0"/><File Name="WgaLogon.dll" Version="1.9.40.0"/></GANotification></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 1AB9E:Tiny Computers Limited
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

I've only got 1 day to activate/ validate Windows XP.  Everything seemed okay until I downloaded Service Pack 3.  I got the PC from a friend, but I now live in another town.  It seems unfair that you should ask for a Product Key several years after someone installed Eindows XP.  Is this all a ploy to disenfranchise people, so that they are forced to buy Windows 7?

The Product Key that I was trying to typr in I subsequently noticed was for Windows Millennium edition.  It seems that that was originally installed on the PC, and then someone updated to Windows XP later.

Is there any chance you could activate Windows XP for me?

Gerald

Answers

• Tuesday, October 27, 2009 3:04 PMDan at IT Associates Users MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers Medals
       Answer
      Hello GDJames,

If the Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) on the computer is for Windows Me, then the computer is still licensed to run Windows Me.  I suggested that you contact Tiny computers to see if they could supply you with the Recovery or Reinstallation discs that would match the version and edition of Windows on the CoA.  If you install Me on the computer using the Tiny Recovery CD, it would yield a Genuine installation of Windows on that computer.

In order to run Windows XP on this computer, you will have to purchase a licensing kit and install XP using the genuine media and product key that would come with the licensing kit.  You would have the option of a full retail kit or a systembuilder/OEM kit.

A third option would be to install Windows Me, then purchase a retail upgrade license for XP, which are less expensive than a full retail license.
      For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp

All Replies

• Monday, October 26, 2009 11:52 PMGDJames Users MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers Medals

Is this all a scam to scare people to buy extra Microsoft software?

If I do nothing, will my PC still work tomorrow?

I suppose it would, because think of the lawsuits when all those people who have bought Windows sue Microsoft when their computer is disabled.

• Tuesday, October 27, 2009 3:49 AMDan at IT Associates Users MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers Medals

Hello GDJames,

Your computer has an installation of XP Pro, and that installation was done using a Dell XP Professional OS Reinstallation CD.

Since your computer is not a Dell computer, the Windows Product Activation system will not activate this computer.

Does this computer have a Windows Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) affixed to the computer?  If so please let us know what version and edition of Windows is listed on the CoA, but do not post the product key.

The mgadiag report is showing that your computer may have been manufacturer by Tiny Computers.  Have you contacted Tiny Computers to see if you can order a Recovery or Reinstallation CD so that you can properly install Windows on the computer?

• Tuesday, October 27, 2009 2:54 PMGDJames Users MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers Medals

Hi Dan.

Yes it is a Tiny Computer.  No I ain't going to contact them - I don't see how it is their problem.

The Windows Certificate of Authority affixed to the computer is for Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition.

I have taken note of the product key, in case I need it later.

Gerald
    • Tuesday, October 27, 2009 3:04 PMDan at IT Associates Users MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers MedalsUsers Medals
       Answer
      Hello GDJames,

If the Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) on the computer is for Windows Me, then the computer is still licensed to run Windows Me.  I suggested that you contact Tiny computers to see if they could supply you with the Recovery or Reinstallation discs that would match the version and edition of Windows on the CoA.  If you install Me on the computer using the Tiny Recovery CD, it would yield a Genuine installation of Windows on that computer.

In order to run Windows XP on this computer, you will have to purchase a licensing kit and install XP using the genuine media and product key that would come with the licensing kit.  You would have the option of a full retail kit or a systembuilder/OEM kit.

A third option would be to install Windows Me, then purchase a retail upgrade license for XP, which are less expensive than a full retail license.
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 10:07 AM
  • Hello GDJames,

Since you have XP Pro installed now, there is no supported Microsoft method for installing XP Home other than a clean install.  A clean installation involves backing up and offloading your data (documents, email, financial program files, music, pix, etc), then using the steps within XP Setup to repartition and reformat the hard disk, then finally a fresh installation of XP Home.

Here is a good tutorial for a clean installation:  http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

After you get done the installation and activation, please come back here and post a fresh mgadiag report.  That way we can check it to ensure that you were sold a Genuine Licensing Kit.  If you did not get a Genuine Licensing Kit, then we want to know about it immediately so you can pursue a refund or other remedy as soon as possible.
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 1:14 PM
  • Hi

I couldn't backup my data, because the Microsoft Activation/Validation thing made it impossible to access anything!

I was able to get into Internet Explorer via the Microsoft Activation/Validation thing.

I finally solved my problem, when I used Open and then Browse from within IE.  Took me a couple of hours to notice it was only listing html files instead of all files.  Once I corrected that I was able to install from my CD drive.

Don't know anything about partitions, so I left that bit alone.

Unfortunately I have now lost Microsoft Office, which instead of spending £200 on a new copy I will install OpenOffice for free instead.

I have also lost all of my spreadsheets.

Don't you feel guilty about putting innocent people through all this palaver?

Gerald
    Sunday, November 1, 2009 8:51 AM
  • Hello GDJames,

It's unfortunate that you lost your data in the process of attempting to install a Dell OEM license for Windows XP on a non-Dell computer.

As for the loss of Office, this part of the posted report above shows that there was no Office installed on the computer at the time the report was run:
    OGA Data-->

Could you not simply reinstall Office from you Genuine Microsoft hologrammed installation CDs using the Product Key printed on the Genuine Office Certificate of Authenticity?

Perhaps taking the computer to a competent local shop, or enlisting the aid of a knowledgeable friend, could have prevented such a loss.  Regular backups of important documents could also have prevented such a loss.  Most people don't realize that the monetary value of their data (expressed in how many man-hours it would take to recreate the data, if that's even possible) is far, far in excess of the value of their computer and the installed software.
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, November 4, 2009 8:39 PM
    Sunday, November 1, 2009 6:56 PM
  • Theres a fair degree of stupidity going on on both sides of this discussion
    1) Tiny Computers have gone bust twice since this computer was made, and there is no support for this machine. it is not possible to purchase a recovery disk. That disk used a hidden hard drive image anyway, and it seems likely that in the ten years since this machine was built that the hard drive would have been replaced rendering any recovery disk useless.
    2) The original Tiny company (OT Computers) who supplied this, preloaded their WinME machines with generic copies of Office 2000 SBE and used the same product key on them all - P9MDJ-BBWMV-487HK-Q699R-MKTT8. They "forgot" to supply Office disks or product keys. As far as I can tell this was known to Microsoft, but nothing was publicly done about it. Some machines just have Word 2000 preloaded using the key PKVQB-6QYC6-67TF3-JX69P-PRFVG. Again, no disk supplied nor a CofA. And again MS apparently knew.
    3) Anyone trying to run WinXP on a machine supplied by OT Computers will have a problem anyway. Thisi is probably a Pentium III or Celeron based machine with only around 128mb of memory. Trying to run XP would be pointless as the machine does not have the power to do it
    4) GD James is clearly out of order in trying to update the machine with a Dell XP CD - which clearly is not going to work
    However I'm sure that this case could have been handled a damn sight more sympathetically, especially given what I've said above. The customer in this case is without a supplier for a WinME recovery disk, and probably was never given an Office setup disk by the manufacturer - despite Office being installed. AND MICROSOFT SHOULD KNOW THIS. So a message:  Please check facts before pontificating
    • Proposed as answer by demdike Tuesday, November 24, 2009 2:17 AM
    • Edited by demdike Tuesday, November 24, 2009 2:49 AM
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 2:15 AM
  • Hello demdike,

Darin Smith did not post in this thread, just me and the original poster, GD James.

How much more sympathtically could it have been handled?  GDJames was given the facts based on the information known at the moment.  He was never going to get a free product key sent to him, although surely that would have qualified as "sympathetic."  It is a shame that GDJames lost data, but that loss was by his own hand.  Good advice about taking the computer to a shop and backing up will not help him now, but it certainly will (if heeded) help him in the future.

Tuesday, November 24, 2009 2:29 AM
  • OK - apologies for misdirecting my comment, somehow the headers on the mail got scrambled. I've edited the post
    However the impact of my comments are the same

For a start telling him to request support from a company that ceased to exist five years ago seems pretty unsympathetic
    next telling him to reinstall office from a disk which should be on M$'s records as having been very unlikely to have ever been supplied seems worse
    your comment "based on the information known at the moment" sums it up - if your systems worked then the name "Tiny Computers" should have rung a five-bell alarm somewhere. You based your statements on your percieved view of the situation without taking into account the history of the supplying company - which would have been available had it been checked

Tuesday, November 24, 2009 2:47 AM
  • Hello demdike,

"For a start telling him to request support from a company that ceased to exist five years ago seems pretty unsympathetic"

Only if your standards of support require that volunteer "helpers" on different continents in user support forums maintain accurate lists of which computer manufacturers around the world have gone into bankruptcy and/or out of business.

It is a basic tenet of the Microsoft business model that end users should first seek support for preinstalled and OEM licensed Microsoft software from the OEM manufacturer.  When I posted to GDJames that s/he should request support from the OEM, I was following that tenet.

"next telling him to reinstall office from a disk which should be on M$'s records as having been very unlikely to have ever been supplied seems worse"

It may be on Microsoft's records as never having been supplied, but I doubt it.  IMO it is very unreasonable and quite defective logic to make the assumption that this person would have the original installation of Office 2000 SBE that you claim was preinstalled on their computer when clearly the situation is that nothing that came preinstalled on this computer remains on the computer.  Otherwise, the likewise preinstalled recovery partition that you mentioned in your previous post could be magically assumed to be on this computer and Poof all the original poster wold have to do would be to invoke the startup keystroke to start the recovery and this whole mess would have been solved.

Tuesday, November 24, 2009 5:04 AM