MCITP: Enterprise Administrator and/or CCNA Question (Please this is only for professionals in the field..no offense to the rest) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I was thinking of doing a network certification to start my career.  The training program I was looking into packages both the MCITP: Enterprise Admin and CCNA.

Do I really need to know both? Or is one enough? Are there jobs which require you to have knowledge in both?

Do I need both the Microsoft Certification & Cisco Certification?

Thank you.
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 5:59 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Well to start, if you have no experience with either Server 2008, or Cisco products you shouldn't really be looking at getting certified. Certifications are meant to showcase your experience and knowledge in a particular technology. If you go through with the certs you basically have a very expensive piece of paper, and you will still have a very hard time finding a job because employers are looking for experience. Now if you have the experience and certifications than you are in a better situation for getting jobs.

Now if you did have experience with these technologies you would know that they are very different certifications. The MCITP: EA is more Systems Engineering, Administration, and Design with a heavy focus on Active Directory. While the CCNA is purely networking, configuring routers, switches etc...The two are completely different job roles and I would say there are not many jobs that require that you have both certifications. However basic knowledge and understanding of the two is helpful no matter if you are a sysadmin or a network admin.

So to answer your question, do you need both certifications? I would say no as they are related to different job roles. Now I am sure there are some companies where they just have one person doing everything but these are probably small companies and if you have the experience required to get one of these certifications you could work for a bigger company and make quite a bit more money.

Hope this helps and if you have any other questions feel free to ask.     
    Eric
    • Proposed as answer by Eric Stauss Wednesday, August 19, 2009 8:07 PM
    • Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Friday, January 8, 2010 3:48 AM
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 8:04 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Well to start, if you have no experience with either Server 2008, or Cisco products you shouldn't really be looking at getting certified. Certifications are meant to showcase your experience and knowledge in a particular technology. If you go through with the certs you basically have a very expensive piece of paper, and you will still have a very hard time finding a job because employers are looking for experience. Now if you have the experience and certifications than you are in a better situation for getting jobs.

Now if you did have experience with these technologies you would know that they are very different certifications. The MCITP: EA is more Systems Engineering, Administration, and Design with a heavy focus on Active Directory. While the CCNA is purely networking, configuring routers, switches etc...The two are completely different job roles and I would say there are not many jobs that require that you have both certifications. However basic knowledge and understanding of the two is helpful no matter if you are a sysadmin or a network admin.

So to answer your question, do you need both certifications? I would say no as they are related to different job roles. Now I am sure there are some companies where they just have one person doing everything but these are probably small companies and if you have the experience required to get one of these certifications you could work for a bigger company and make quite a bit more money.

Hope this helps and if you have any other questions feel free to ask.     
    Eric
    • Proposed as answer by Eric Stauss Wednesday, August 19, 2009 8:07 PM
    • Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Friday, January 8, 2010 3:48 AM
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 8:04 PM
  • Hi,

I would suggest you look into the Network+ certification through CompTIA. They provide entry level certs in most aspects of computing. In my experience they are the best route to begin with. Once you have that, as well as some real world experience you should go for the Microsoft certs.

I work as a Training Consultant so I have lots of experience dealing with people looking to start there careers etc.

E-Mail me if you have any other questions.

Derek
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 10:08 PM