windowsLive OneCareFirewall Permissions RRS feed

• Question

• I just installed livecare,I really like the user friendly program.  However I continue to have problems

reading program adresses, files etc. live care like to ask for program permissions.  when the pop-up appears, frankly i become totally flustered as to whether i should block or not. I mean some programs are rather easy to identify, yet others are like reading a foreing language. How will I ever figure this out?

Saturday, March 1, 2008 7:01 AM

Answers

• The popups you are encountering regarding permission to run a program are possibly from Windows UAC if you are running Vista. If not, then these are the normal prompts from the Firewall to verify that the program requesting access is one that you wish to allow. Unfortunately, you will get this for all unrecognized programs. If you started a program and get the request, there is a good chance that "allow" is the right answer. If, however, you are doing something else and get the prompt, you need to determine if it is a program that you wish to grant access to.

If you are unsure, you can block and proceed. If a program you are using fails to work, complaining about needing Internet access, you can unblock it by opening OneCare, clicking on Change settings, firewall tab, advanced.

-steve

Friday, March 7, 2008 9:56 PM

All replies

• The popups you are encountering regarding permission to run a program are possibly from Windows UAC if you are running Vista. If not, then these are the normal prompts from the Firewall to verify that the program requesting access is one that you wish to allow. Unfortunately, you will get this for all unrecognized programs. If you started a program and get the request, there is a good chance that "allow" is the right answer. If, however, you are doing something else and get the prompt, you need to determine if it is a program that you wish to grant access to.

If you are unsure, you can block and proceed. If a program you are using fails to work, complaining about needing Internet access, you can unblock it by opening OneCare, clicking on Change settings, firewall tab, advanced.

-steve

Friday, March 7, 2008 9:56 PM
  • Steve: I keep getting the program allow pop-up for the same programs. I thought that OC would remember when you allowed a program so you don't have to keep allowing the same programs over and over again. Is there a way to allow a program one time and have OC remember this program so you don't keep getting the pop-up?

I did not have this problem with the 2.0 beta nor the 2.0 when I first installed. Something must have changed with the updates to cause this problem.

Friday, March 21, 2008 4:00 PM
  •  Ernie Lane wrote:

Steve: I keep getting the program allow pop-up for the same programs. I thought that OC would remember when you allowed a program so you don't have to keep allowing the same programs over and over again. Is there a way to allow a program one time and have OC remember this program so you don't keep getting the pop-up?

I did not have this problem with the 2.0 beta nor the 2.0 when I first installed. Something must have changed with the updates to cause this problem.

Hi, Ernie.

What program or programs? If the program in question presents itself to OneCare with a different "hash" or a different version, it will need to be approved every time it starts. That was (may still be) a problem with some Logitech software that was driving many people crazy.

-steve

Friday, March 21, 2008 4:21 PM
  • Steve: The last program I have had problems with is TurboTax and before that there were different programs I don't remember.

Friday, March 21, 2008 5:38 PM
  • Since Turbo Tax includes an updater that is always downloading new bits, it seems, I suspect that you encountered a changed program that needed to be approved again. With the double approval that happens sometimes (i'm seeing that one two PCs) it can be a real pain. In fact, I'll be putting Turbo Tax on a PC with OneCare under Vista this weekend, so I will probably encounter the same thing.

-steve

Friday, March 21, 2008 6:18 PM