Changing system drive letter from E: to C: causes freezing reboot ???? RRS feed

• Question

• I've re-installed an old IBM PN73P0761 with 3GB RAM and Windows XP Prof - new partition and formating of the hard drive - UNFORTUNATELY the drive letter was set to E: without me notice !

And I installed all my SW, updating and it worked fine - THEN I noticed the bad letter on the system drive - argh !!!!!!!

I tried to change the letter acording to this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223188 - I ONLY changed the drive letter from E: to C: - NOTHING more !

And when I booted the next time the machine "freezes" with the nice 2 collered blue XP-screen - a dark blue ribbon on top and buttom of the screen and in the light blue part in the middle there is a XP-logo - the mouse cursor is working - but nothing else works !

I managed to start in a DOS-prompt mode and right now I'm doing some "CHKDSK /p /r"

Can I in this DOS-mode "change the drive letter back to E: and then live with it" or what else can/should I do ?

Best regards KSor, Denmark
    Saturday, March 19, 2011 4:06 PM

Answers

• I started all over - so just forget it !

• Marked as answer by Ksor Thursday, March 24, 2011 7:08 AM
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 7:08 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft forum. This forum focuses on Perfmon and diagnostic tools. I am moving your question to the moderator forum ("Where is the forum for..?"). The owner of the forum will direct you to a right forum.

Thanks.

Bruce Adamczak

Bruce Adamczak
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 12:33 PM
  • I started all over - so just forget it !

• Marked as answer by Ksor Thursday, March 24, 2011 7:08 AM
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 7:08 AM