SiI 3112 Sata disks RRS feed

• Question

• Looks to me like I can't install WHS on my machine with a NVidia a7N8X-E motherboard and SiI 3112 SATA controller. WHS can't find any disks to install on and asks if I want to add drivers, so I add the XP/2003Server drivers for the SiI3112, but that doesn't help.

AM I to assume that this motherboard can't be used for WHS (unless I have an old drive attached)?

Martin

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 9:00 AM

All replies

• I encountered the same problem with a Asus a7n8x-Deluxe motherboard with the same sata controller chip.  I was able to install to a PATA hard drive connected to the motherboard and after installation went to device manager.  Device manager showed the controller with a yellow !, I had it search for and install the driver and it downloaded a driver from the web and installed with no problems.  Rebooted and it saw the two SATA drives connected and I was able to add them in with no problems.  Until/unless they add whatever particular driver they are downloading for this chipset I believe that this will be the only way to install.
    Wednesday, June 20, 2007 11:38 PM
  • I was able to successfully install WHC on an Abit AN7 with only a SATA drive attached to the Sil3112 controller.  I had to insert the floppy with the driver during the first phase and again later when it booted to the Windows 2003 Small Business Server DOS-like setup (press F6 to specify an additional driver).  Without inserting the disk for the DOS-like phase, the setup blue-screened when trying to "start windows".

Friday, June 22, 2007 3:02 AM
  • I've installed successfully using only SATA drives on a Shuttle SN85G4 which uses an SiI3512 SATARAID chipset, a variant of the 3112. Same procedure as Brian Ragazzi states above, using the latest driver from the Silicon Image website. Note that if your MB does not support USB floppy drives in the BIOS (mine doesn't), you'll need a 'real' floppy drive the second time the driver is required (during the DOS-like setup phase), and you should leave the disk in until that phase is complete.
    Saturday, June 23, 2007 6:24 PM
  • I have ran into all the problem this thread speeks to during beta testing Longhorn. After some hardware debugging I have found out that SATA problem is due to the using a PCI SATA card. The BIOS on the card conficks with the microsoft drivers/security system. This server seems to use the same subsystems as Longhorn, thus when When the fix for it becomes avalible, home server will be fix also.

To workaround this problem: remove the SATA card, then install Home Server, then replace the card and install SATA drivers.

Note this workaround only worked on all of my systems but one, I had to buy a new motherboard with SATA on board, then Home Server worked without a hitch.

Sunday, June 24, 2007 9:36 AM
  • I have the Sabrent SATA RAID 2 port PCI card which uses the Silicon Images 3112 chip set and it lets me use the driver, but then gived me a invalid or missing error. I am now trying the latest RAID drivers.  If this does not work then I am going to boot off of my XP driver and try to update the BIOS to the 4283 version then try it again with the latest drivers. If this does not work then I am going to consider purchasing a different make of SATA PCI card.
    Sunday, July 8, 2007 5:01 PM
  • I am tutn off RAID on RAID controller and after WHS can  see HDD. And install OK. But if turn on RAID0 or RAID1 WHS dosn't see HDD !!!

Sil 3112r 2x70 sata
    Monday, October 15, 2007 8:16 PM
  • Well, the solution should be obvious: don't turn on RAID! WHS works better with RAID disabled anyway.
    Monday, October 15, 2007 10:01 PM
  • Ahem... I only had two disks on my machine - both connected ot the RAID controller... No way to connect them to the IDE? Not much choice about switching on RAID.
    Tuesday, October 16, 2007 9:01 AM
  • You don't need to connect to a different controller - you just need to configure the 3112 chipset to not use RAID. By going into the configuration tool right after the BIOS POST screen, you should be able to disable RAID so the drives will appear as two seperate drives. This is what I did on my system; if the option isn;t available on yours, I don't know what to suggest.
    Tuesday, October 16, 2007 12:20 PM
  • The Sil 3112 has two different sets of firmware/drivers available; both Raid enabled and non-Raid. I think the Raid enabled version can either be Raid or JBOD, neither of which are much good for WHS. I changed mine to the non-Raid version some time ago, (it's an additional card - non onboard,) and works fine in the RC system.

HTH,

Colin

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 5:28 PM
  •  Kansur wrote:
    I encountered the same problem with a Asus a7n8x-Deluxe motherboard with the same sata controller chip.  I was able to install to a PATA hard drive connected to the motherboard and after installation went to device manager.  Device manager showed the controller with a yellow !, I had it search for and install the driver and it downloaded a driver from the web and installed with no problems.  Rebooted and it saw the two SATA drives connected and I was able to add them in with no problems.  Until/unless they add whatever particular driver they are downloading for this chipset I believe that this will be the only way to install.

Was his board also an “Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe” like mine?  The reason for query is that his quote does not show the "E" in the motherboard name.  I had been running Raid split on two 80GB SATA Raid HDDs successfully many reinstallations ago of Windows XP Pro SP2 and updates.  Every thing else (SW wise) on my system is the same except for updates to:

1.                   Windows Automatic Updates (Personally, I believe Windows is the real problem.  I go back to Windows 1 for which I still have the disk and manual.  The history of Win’s continuing problems I believe can be laid to its origins as a runtime module in Excel and Powerpoint  I have the earlier DOS disks and literature on the latest DOS,  6.0 and 6.2, also.

Other programs installed on Windows XP Pro SP2 and its Updates prior to, and in, Win’s last install in March 2008 gave me no problems:

2.                   Symantec Norton Internet Security Suite 2007, still within one-year of original install and supported by Norton Live updates.  When that coverage runs out I’ll install th 2008 version I’ve already purchased.

3.                   Symantec Norton System Works 2006 is no longer installed but it too worked with earlier Win XP updates.   I preferred the earlier NSW 2004 but it appeared to have problems so I finally ran the 2006 in 2007.

4.                   Norton Save and Restore is running and had gave no problems with earlier installs of  WinXP Pro and its updates.  The same can be said for Microsoft’s Encarta Encyclopedia Std 2005, Money 2005, Office 2003 Pro, Picture IT! Premium 10, Streets and Trips 2005, Visual C++ Re-distributable, Works Suite 2005 and Works 2008. 

5.                   Also running and run previously without problems are Nero Suite 6, PowerDesk 6, Quicken 2007, Scansoft’s OmniPage 16, PaperPort 11 and PDF Create! 4

6.                   Scansoft’s OmniPage 16 is New, replacing OmniPage 15.  Family Tree Legends: Starter Edition is also new .  There were no problems after these were  installed initially, only later in this current WIN XP Pro SP2  & updates install.

7.                   Loaded SW printers used with HP-855C Deskjet, which also should offer no problems as before, are CutePDF Writer 2.7, NovPDF rofessional Desktop 5.3 printer, and PaperPort Image Printer. 

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 4:01 PM