Share drives RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to share drives from another pc in the network to WHS so i can access my files from other pc's in the network from the internet?

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 7:17 PM

All replies

• Not directly although if your other PCs support remote desktop connections, you can use WHS2011 to connect to them (providing they are switched on or you have WOL software).

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 7:26 PM
  • In this case best practice varies, depending on needs. But the direct answer to your question is no, it's not possible to share a folder to your server, and then include that folder in the shares exposed by the server. The alternative that Philip has suggested is to use a Remote Desktop connection to your computer. This can work if all goes well, since Remote Desktop includes file transfer functionality in a couple of ways, but I would have to recommend against it. Since RDP isn't optimized for that use, it's relatively inefficient.

If your need is for ubiquitous access and the ability to update a file from anywhere (e.g. a Word doc that you need to be able to edit), I would say your best bet is Live Mesh or a similar synchronization technology. If you just need to be able to get to the file, but don't need the ability to edit "in place" (or the appearance of doing so, anyway), then just store the file in your server's shares. You can download it from there any time you log on to your server's remote access web site.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 7:35 PM
  • Thank you!
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 7:38 PM