Deactivated/Uninstalled OS 2007 beta/ Problematic OWA 2k7 now... RRS feed

• Question

• Is it okay to remove all the RTC* groups and users from AD now?

When I installed OCS 2007 it hosed my OWA 2007 integrated authentication. Outlook works fine. All access to OWA, however requests authentication (instead of integrated authentication working properly) and when you enter a username and password, OWA fails. with a 401.1 error.

Locally, on the server, OWA works fine. On all the workstaion in my organization, however, it when it fails, it generates a Kerebos error. The time on the workstations is synced fine with the DC, there are no duplicate station names in DNS, and I've removed Exchange client access role and reinstalled. SO, I'm kind of stuck. Luckily, I have Outlook on all my work stations, and we don't use integrated authentication for anything else, so it hasn't stopped the show, but I'd like to get this back upand running so I can stop depending on Outlook installed locally at every user station.

Can anyone help?

Jonathan

Friday, June 29, 2007 12:25 PM

Answers

•  Thom Foreman-Moderator wrote:

It doesn't look like anyone else has had a similar issue. Can you let us know your current status?

Yes. The problem was unrelated. I'd installed a managed switch, and assigned it an IP address that used to be an old BDC w/ DNS well, that old BDC was still referenced as a valid DNS server in the surviving DNS server, so when clients went to authenticate, they were being pointed at the managed switch.

Removed all references to the old BDC, let the chance propogate across the network, every started working again.

It was just bad timing. That's all, but isnt' that always the way?

No one answered the question at the beginning of the message though. Am I okay to remove those users from AD now? I believe they were created during the intall process for OCS2k7 beta.

Thursday, July 26, 2007 1:31 PM

All replies

• It doesn't look like anyone else has had a similar issue. Can you let us know your current status?

Thursday, July 26, 2007 5:23 AM
  •  Thom Foreman-Moderator wrote:

It doesn't look like anyone else has had a similar issue. Can you let us know your current status?

Yes. The problem was unrelated. I'd installed a managed switch, and assigned it an IP address that used to be an old BDC w/ DNS well, that old BDC was still referenced as a valid DNS server in the surviving DNS server, so when clients went to authenticate, they were being pointed at the managed switch.

Removed all references to the old BDC, let the chance propogate across the network, every started working again.

It was just bad timing. That's all, but isnt' that always the way?

No one answered the question at the beginning of the message though. Am I okay to remove those users from AD now? I believe they were created during the intall process for OCS2k7 beta.

Thursday, July 26, 2007 1:31 PM