none
Product suggestion for Windows Explorer

Question

• I used to be able to use Windows Explorer back in Windows 95, but every windows release since Windows 95 has made the product worse.

I think you should create a new search tool for IT people.  It should be for people that don't care about rating their .dll files with 1 to 5 stars or seeing what genre they are assigned to.

Here is what I really need, that windows explorer does not have.

1) I want to be able to search really fast.  I NEVER care about what is in the files, only the file names, sizes, locations, and last modified dates.  I use "Search Everything" from voidtools for this because I can download it, install it, let it build its indexes, and get my search results all before I get results back for the same search using Windows Explorer.  Try it yourself.  Search Everything never takes more than 2 seconds.  Windows Explorer often takes more than 10 minutes then gives up.

2) I want to be able to search all files modified since a specific date (like 12/3/2010).  This allows me to quickly identify files that might be getting tampered with by malware.

3) I don't want "instant search" where it begins searching while I am typing. If search was fast (always done in less than 2 seconds), maybe I would want it, but as it stands it begins searching before I can enter my most important criterai.

4) I want to be able to search "All files".  Currently, I must put in a filter, like all files that contain the letter 'a'; along with my date range. But I simply want to get a list of all files.

So, here are my two most common searches, which I do 5 to 10 times per week:

1) Show me every occurrence of a specific file name on the hard drive (often to find all copies of a specific dll)

2) Show me all files modified since a specific date

Thursday, February 10, 2011 1:44 PM

All replies

• I think you should create a new search tool for IT people.  It should be for people that don't care about rating their .dll files with 1 to 5 stars or seeing what genre they are assigned to.

Windows already has what you are looking for.  It's called  Command Prompt (aka cmd.exe).

When you want to find something and you don't know where it is, simply type:

cd \

dir/a/b/s  <filename>

Other variations are possible, especially if you pipe the results to find or sort.   Much faster results than using Windows Search.

BTW since this doesn't have anything to do with the Forum software, I won't be surprised if this thread gets moved...   ; }

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, February 10, 2011 4:45 PM