Need hellp with the backup service. RRS feed

• Question

• I cannot get the WHS Backup service started on the server. This is what I did. Installed WHS. Connected USB HDD to the server Went into the server and the Home Server Console and under Server/Storage Added the hard drive. Now it shows up as a BIG platter called DATA all except 20GB that is set aside for the SYSTEM parition. On the XP Pro system (client) I installed the Connector software from the CD but it actually coped it from the SOFTWARE folder on the WHS. It went through the setup and then it came up and said "Connected to Server" but then said "Cannot start backup service" or something like that. But the connector did finish installing and I could use it in the icon try. (for showing Shared drives but not for scheduling backups) On the server I brought up the "Computers and Backups" and right clicked on the XP client I just installed the connector on and chose "Turn on Backups" and it said that the Windows Home Server Backup service is not running. I went into the system console and found the service and it said it was running. I went back to the Console under settings and chose Backup and on the top it says "Backup Settings Are Not Avaiilable" On the bottom is a Repair button. When I use that it repairs the database associated with my PC. It says it is starting the backup service and is fixing the dabase files. Gives a message saying that the service was restarted successfully and my dabase has been repaired. Go back and right click on my PC and choose to "Turn on Backups" and it says the backup service is not running, I then decided to uninstall and re-install the Connector on the client. From ADD/Remove I unintalled it and rebooted and then tried to re-install. Now it gets even less along. It gets all the way to ask for the server (administrator) password. When I put it in it says "the operation cannot be completed at this time". Well, so much for doing backups right out of the box with little conifguration. If anyone has any suggestions that would be greatly appreciated! Thanx!
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 2:27 AM

All replies

• I cannot get the WHS Backup service started on the server. This is what I did. Installed WHS. Connected USB HDD to the server Went into the server and the Home Server Console and under Server/Storage Added the hard drive. Now it shows up as a BIG platter called DATA all except 20GB that is set aside for the SYSTEM parition. On the XP Pro system (client) I installed the Connector software from the CD but it actually coped it from the SOFTWARE folder on the WHS. It went through the setup and then it came up and said "Connected to Server" but then said "Cannot start backup service" or something like that. But the connector did finish installing and I could use it in the icon try. (for showing Shared drives but not for scheduling backups) On the server I brought up the "Computers and Backups" and right clicked on the XP client I just installed the connector on and chose "Turn on Backups" and it said that the Windows Home Server Backup service is not running. I went into the system console and found the service and it said it was running. I went back to the Console under settings and chose Backup and on the top it says "Backup Settings Are Not Avaiilable" On the bottom is a Repair button. When I use that it repairs the database associated with my PC. It says it is starting the backup service and is fixing the dabase files. Gives a message saying that the service was restarted successfully and my dabase has been repaired. Go back and right click on my PC and choose to "Turn on Backups" and it says the backup service is not running, I then decided to uninstall and re-install the Connector on the client. From ADD/Remove I unintalled it and rebooted and then tried to re-install. Now it gets even less along. It gets all the way to ask for the server (administrator) password. When I put it in it says "the operation cannot be completed at this time". Well, so much for doing backups right out of the box with little conifguration. If anyone has any suggestions that would be greatly appreciated! Thanx!

Is this a new installation of WHS?  Have the backups ever worked?  Did you try rebooting the server?  Did you build it yourself or buy a pre-built server from HP, Acer, etc?
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 4:46 AM
  • Yes, this is a new installation on a Dell Optiplex GX280.

I purchased the OEM copy of WHS from TigerDirect.

I installed it myself.

The backups have never worked. 

I have rebooted the server several times.

Interesting that on the WHS Console under Computers and Backups, it shows the name of my XP Client but
    its greyed out.  Does that help?
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 5:54 AM
  • how did you add the usb hdd to the whs? as storage or for server backup?
    How much space is availible to the system for storage.
    Did you once connect the laptop to the whs and then rebuilt it?

how about some specs on the 2 machines in question.
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 6:40 AM
  • I read an article online about how to add an external hard drive to a WHS and they said to ADD it under Server/Storage so this is what did. Was that wrong?
    I just want to have the hard drive space so I can perform the backups.

As far as specs -

Server
    P4 2.8Ghz 2GB DDR PC2700 Primary HDD/320GB SATA Secondary 500GB USB (SATA in the case)

XP Client
    (Dell Precision 370)
    P4/HT 3.2GHZ XP 32Bit  4GB DDR2 533Mhz Memory 720GB SATA Hard Drive.  Wireless network adapter.

Tuesday, September 1, 2009 5:02 PM