Sharing a Printer on your HP MediaSmart or Windows Home Server RRS feed

• Question

• For those of you that have an HP MediaSmart or Windows Home Server and want to share your printer, we have a new tutorial showing how this is done.  Using our tutorial you can install a printer and share it on the rest of the network within minutes.  Head on over to http://www.MyHomeServer.com for more details!
    Tuesday, December 18, 2007 3:03 PM

All replies

• I had an issue connecting to my WHS printer from a client that is running Vista HP.  I kept getting an error stating "Not enough memory to complete this operation" when I tried to add the network printer.  This seems to be a common error on Vista - I had to first download and install the printer drivers locally on the client and then add the network printer.

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 11:03 PM
  • Thanks for the tip.  I'll keep this handy and will add this to my troubleshooting section once we get this up and running shortly

Thanks again for the heads up!
    Tuesday, December 18, 2007 11:22 PM
  •  

I used your guide with no luck...

I have a HP Photosmart 7150 Printer and seems to install in WHS as per your guide but whenever I try to print the document... it appears in the print queue for a second then it self deletes.

The port I was using is Local USB port?

Oh and when I use HP XP driver self installation it hangs at please connect your printer USB cable into the printer.

I'm thinking that XP drivers will not function properly in server 2003...

Help and thanks!

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 7:00 AM
  • First thing is that we want to make sure a test print works on the server itself. Remote desktop into the server, open the printer properties and try a test print....does it work?  No?   Then the printer isn't installed properly, try again

Yes? Then it's the way you are adding the printers on the other systems

Review some of these steps and you may find the answer, or contact HP about the printer driver and if its supported under 2003 and WHS
    Wednesday, December 19, 2007 1:20 PM
  • I have a Brother HL-1440 printer that is recognized when I connect it to any computer running XP, but when I connect it to a USB port on the HP MediaSmart, nothing happens in the remote desktop.  Any suggestions or ideas?  Thanks

Monday, December 24, 2007 3:55 PM
  • There may not be a printer driver for that printer included with windows Server 2003. You can try downloading and installing the driver from the Brother web site. First disconnect the printer, then install the driver, rebooting if required, then reconnect the printer. It should be automatically detected at that point.

Once the printer is installed on the server, you'll want to share it so other computers on your network can access it. You may also want to install drivers for other operating systems:
    • Right click the printer in Printers and Faxes.
    • Select Properties.
    • Select Sharing.
    You can configure sharing and add drivers from that location.
    Monday, December 24, 2007 4:50 PM