• Motherboard
    • Case
    • Power Supply
    • Disk configurations.

Thanks in advance!

Sunday, August 12, 2007 6:28 PM

All replies

• Hi,

hmm, this not easy subject to answer, but let say I want to build similar system, here what I will chose:

"Start with 1 TB of space with room for expansion"

Then I will go with 2 seagate 500gb hdd, if cost no object, then 2 750gb or 1tb.

"Should run as quiet as possible"

Any fanless power supply

Ok, now for the hardware:

Motherboard, I like Asus, never have problem with them, but you need to consider sata ports, some have 4 and some can go to 6/8 ports, you do not need raid, since not important with WHS. Abit have some good nice one with 6 ports.

Case, it up to you, but tower as for good air flow and adding more fans and a like is a must for a server that will run like 24/7. Lian li, silverstone ... etc, all making good cases.

Power supply, 500w fanless, but many are very quiet as well, like Thermaltake (not fanless).

Disk configurations, Sata, none RAID, biggest drive for the main system OS.

Really, I will go to like newegg.com, and see the review from customers about the hardware they bought, also, you can compare items, and see what fit best for you.

My best.
    Sunday, August 12, 2007 6:52 PM
  • For the motherboard I'd start with a board that is based on 945G/ICH7 chipset This will (usually) give you 4 DDR2 slots, 4 SATA ports, and 8 USB 2.0 ports that are natively recognized (just make sure that the network chipset is also recognized). For drives I'd get 1 drive as large as possible (This will be the system drive and remain as such through future upgrades) the rest of the drives should be at the GB/$ sweet spot (currently 400GB). I'd also reccomend a 4 in 3 SATA backplane to hold the drives. For a case I'd get one with 4 5.25" drive bays since DVD drives are so cheap.

Monday, August 13, 2007 1:08 AM