none
Failed Reinstall - Can I recover without doing fresh install RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I'm running WHS 120day evaluation and in the process of reinstalling to a full licensed version.
    During the reinstall the OS did not recognize my PCI SATA controller card (and I failed to load the drivers on the reinstall screen) and the install failed with an error "Restoring Archiver data failed"

I found and followed these instructions:
    1. Please following the directions below to continue the install

A. Move mouse to bottom of screen and you will see the START menu.
    B. Right Click on MY COMPUTER, Select MANAGE
    C. Select Device Manager
    D. You will notice your add-in disk controller is probably in unknown state with an escalation mark.
    E. Select the disk controller – Right click and Select UPDATE Driver
    F. Insert your floppy or USB Disk and install the driver.
    G. Once the driver is installed and the disk controller is recognized and operating, REBOOT the server. (DO NOT BOOT TO THE DVD)

2. Once the Window Home server reboots, it will start install process at the ARCHIVER function. Since it can now see all of the DATA Disks, the ARCHIVE function will continue and start the process of rebuilding the primary Tombstones from the DATA disks.

Results:
    When the server rebooted it could see the controller but WHS install didn't recover and I received another error:
    "Can not upgrade for this version of WHS, only fresh installation is supported due to operation environment change"

I then rebooted from DVD and loaded the driver on fresh install and it now sees all drives, but the reinstall option is no longer available.

If I proceed with a fresh install will I loose my data on the data drives (non system disk)
    Help
    Thanks
    John

Monday, February 23, 2009 1:44 AM

Answers

• Hi John,
    is your system disk listed as disk 0 during setup?
    If not, this may be the reason for reinstall not being offered.

If this is not available, the only option is a fresh install, which will format all detected disks - so you will have to do some precautions before going on.
    This is outlined in the FAQ How to recover data after server failure.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, February 23, 2009 1:49 PM

All replies

• Hi John,
    is your system disk listed as disk 0 during setup?
    If not, this may be the reason for reinstall not being offered.

If this is not available, the only option is a fresh install, which will format all detected disks - so you will have to do some precautions before going on.
    This is outlined in the FAQ How to recover data after server failure.

Olaf
    Monday, February 23, 2009 1:49 PM
  • Thanks for the repley

Yes the system disk was listed as drive 0, but the only option was fresh install.

I have backup up the data as instructed and will likely have to perform a fresh install.

I some instructions it indicates that I will have to load the drivers for my unrecognized  PCI SATA controller twice.  Is this true?
    I can see the one location is on the initial install screen and they indicate there is another location after the first reboot.
    Can you give me more information on this?

Thanks
    John
    Monday, February 23, 2009 5:17 PM
  • Hi,
    for a fresh install this is not that important as long as the system disk is detected. All other drives can be added later.
    In case of a reinstall or if your system disk is attached to an unsupported controller (or the SATA controller onboard is not set to IDE compatibility in Bios) you will have to provide the drivers on the initial setup screen (if disks are not detected only) and eventually after the first reboot, if the ancient blue interface comes up with a short message in the lower part of the screen, to press F6 to provide additional drivers. These must be provided on a floppy drive, since this part of setup is part of the Windows Server 2003 legacy.

Olaf
    Monday, February 23, 2009 6:27 PM
  • Update:
    I ended up doing a fresh install and lost any data that was not backup on other machines

Caution for reinstalls
    1) make sure you add any special drivers for PCI SATA Raid controllers in the initial screen
    2) Make sure all  system and data drives show up on the list of drives...If not do not proceed
    3) Install drivers again in the Classic Blue Windows 2003 setup screen by pressing F6.  CAUTION you only have 5 seconds to hit F6 before it moves on to loading the operating system

As I never made it to these steps I can only assume the resinstall would be successful

Thanks for your help Olaf

John
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 1:53 AM