Continued File Corruption RRS feed

• Question

• Photos on my WHS system have been corrupted about 3-4 weeks ago. 

I have a new computer with dual core, all drivers updated.  After the first corruption...yes I've had more than one now...I no longer trust the system.  The first time most files were messed up and would not run.  Most of my 16,000+ photos were also corrupt and showed partial solid grey when the thumbnail would show.  When no thumbnail showed it was just completely bad.

It is still not known what caused the corruption and I spent 1 week to recover all my files and reorganize.  I had some blue screens of death and thought it was from a different NIC that is no longer being used.  But I also had some add-ins...only 3-4.  To solve this I reformatted and reloaded everything without adding in any add-in or other software.

To be on the safe side I only copied all my photos there for a month or two to test the system.  I've had no blue screen of death issues...and today within two weeks I just noticed the images are once again corrupt.  More than likely any other files are also.  I had some software that was purchased online in directories...corrupt and will not install.

I may have a new computer for sale very shortly and be looking for more NAS drives.  Microsoft does not seem to know what they are doing with this stuff after a year and only offer support to the rich.

Saturday, March 1, 2008 11:35 PM

Answers

• It is so sad to hear that people have lost their data. Most of people having WHS computer are aware of the corruption issue. In many posts like this one I see people have moved their data to WHS. If most people is aware of this issue, why not only copy the data onto WHS and keep originals files on other HDD? While a fix is found for the corruption issue. So nobody would complain about losing any data. This is just my personal tought, does it make sense at all?

Klode

Sunday, March 2, 2008 3:00 AM

All replies

• I'm not sure I understand what you're talking about "only offer support to the rich", but, I'm not going to argue with you.  I am going to muck around with the demo version but I'm probably going to end up using Windows 2000 Server.  The potential for data corruption is just too great.  I think this is very sad because Microsoft had the potential for a truly great product here.  Perhaps they will fix it someday, but I'm worried that even though they might fix it for *most* folks, there will still be the occasional corruption issue out there which Microsoft cannot reproduce and yet still happens to innocent users.  And yet they still sell the product.

They should have pulled it from the market, in my opinion.  Seriously.

-Matt

Saturday, March 1, 2008 11:54 PM
  • Hi tnslocum,

Sorry to hear about your two corruption incidents, but I'm interested too because I'm in the process of copying my 250+GB of photos across to my own DIY-built WHS box. (I've opted to copy the data via my network rather than move drives temporarily into the WHS box.)

Please tell us more about your setup. For example, single hard drive or multiple drives, whether SATA or IDE, whether you had (or hadn't) enabled DE on your folders etc., thanks.

Colin P.

Sunday, March 2, 2008 12:00 AM
  • Colin,

I moved my data via network also.  Very slow with using explorer in Vista.  Also with duplication turned on you will see it slower.  Whenever I copied large amounts of data I turned off the duplication process until after the data was copied.  Then it gets a backup.  It was this backup that I was able to find that allowed me to recover all the photos.  Most were on an additional USB hard drive backup from year end.

My WHS has 320gb and an added 1tb drive.  Both are SATA drives, 4gb ram.  AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+

Newest corruption occured with little or no use on the system.  Other than backup of my PC.  Have not used or copied files from the system since the load of the data. 

Sunday, March 2, 2008 2:23 AM
  • It is so sad to hear that people have lost their data. Most of people having WHS computer are aware of the corruption issue. In many posts like this one I see people have moved their data to WHS. If most people is aware of this issue, why not only copy the data onto WHS and keep originals files on other HDD? While a fix is found for the corruption issue. So nobody would complain about losing any data. This is just my personal tought, does it make sense at all?

Klode

Sunday, March 2, 2008 3:00 AM
  • Guys, as Microsoft has requested in other threads, if you think you've experienced file corruption, please send an email to whsforum at microsoft dot com with details. Microsoft is looking for as many examples of this issue as they can find.
    Sunday, March 2, 2008 4:17 AM
  •  Klode wrote:

It is so sad to hear that people have lost their data. Most of people having WHS computer are aware of the corruption issue. In many posts like this one I see people have moved their data to WHS. If most people is aware of this issue, why not only copy the data onto WHS and keep originals files on other HDD? While a fix is found for the corruption issue. So nobody would complain about losing any data. This is just my personal tought, does it make sense at all?

That's fine for the user that is a bit more advanced but the product is geared towards the home user, the vast majority of whom probably do not know to look at a forum and do not follow tech news.

I wonder how many people will lose their photos or important data and have no idea why....

Sunday, March 2, 2008 4:41 AM
  • Thank tnslocum,

tnslocum wrote:
    [....] with duplication turned on you will see it slower.  Whenever I copied large amounts of data I turned off the duplication process until after the data was copied.

Hmmm! Good idea, based on the wisdom in many posts here. I haven't turned duplication on yet, on any shares, and I'll be leaving it off until well after SP1.

tnslocum wrote:
    [....] My WHS has 320gb and an added 1tb drive.  Both are SATA drives, 4gb ram.  AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+

Interesting similarities there with my system - Mine's an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4800+, 1GB RAM and three new SATA Seagate drives - 160GB first drive, plus 320GB, plus 500GB.

On that 160GB first drive - Yeah!  I know. It's the smallest of the three ... but I was (was) going to run a RAID 1 setup, so I have an identical pair of them, and I'm all set up to do a swop in a few years' time (ho ho ho!), if that 160GB goes legs-up.

Also, I wanted the two larger drives (though not identical in size) to be ready to split/share/DE the data if SP1 makes DE a viable option.

tnslocum wrote:
    [....]Newest corruption occured with little or no use on the system.  Other than backup of my PC.  Have not used or copied files from the system since the load of the data.

well I'm thrashing mine heavily now, with SyncBackSE doing thorough write+RE-read verification on each file it copies to the shares.  As these corruptions appear out of the blue, apparently after many weeks of seemingly OK-behaviour, I'll be letting my data cook slowly on the shares, with occasional  re-verification runs by SyncBackSE - where it progressively re-reads every one of my N-thousand files in turn, and compares them with the "good" copies on my still-present PC folders.

My WHS server's existence relies 100% on me seeing ZERO corruptions during these verification runs.

I've already had a couple of apparently benign VSS Error Events (ID: 12297) in my Application log.  Curiously both occurred at 1 minute past midnight on the last two nights, which I put down to intense disk I/O (certainly not RAM or CPU exhaustion). I trust that the chkdsk following the (manually invoked) reboots will ensure they stay benign!  These coincided - within two seconds - with VolSnap Events (ID: 9) in my System log.

More worryingly, I saw two consecutive Ftdisk Warnings (ID: 57) in my System log, not coincident with any backup activity.  None of these Events caused the Console-reported Storage status to change from "Healthy", so again provided these continue to be rare, and are fixed by chkdsk scans, then I still hold out hope for WHS on my hardware.

(Just for clarity's sake, if I see any unrecoverable errors in this WHS+hardware setup, I'll blame the underlying design assumptions of WHS, and NOT blame my hardware.  That same motherboard, 500Watt PSU and RAM + APC UPS, all gave many months of good service with my C++ compiler, Nikon digital RAW convertor and a chunky IMatch database.)

Sorry to rant a bit.  We're dealing with bruised expectations I guess ...

Colin P.

Sunday, March 2, 2008 5:17 AM
  •  sedin26 wrote:
     Klode wrote:

It is so sad to hear that people have lost their data. Most of people having WHS computer are aware of the corruption issue. In many posts like this one I see people have moved their data to WHS. If most people is aware of this issue, why not only copy the data onto WHS and keep originals files on other HDD? While a fix is found for the corruption issue. So nobody would complain about losing any data. This is just my personal tought, does it make sense at all?

That's fine for the user that is a bit more advanced but the product is geared towards the home user, the vast majority of whom probably do not know to look at a forum and do not follow tech news.

I wonder how many people will lose their photos or important data and have no idea why....

I agree with both of you here.  Although there are lots of gripes, grumbles and downright painful stories, there are many other technically lucid folks still giving Microsoft a lot of slack, and hope - for the time being.  Based no doubt on the past few years' experience of Microsoft's relatively more solid systems & servers.  (I'm a former Novell man!!!  No, I'm still a Novell man. And you bet we have a large lurking Novell/Suse/Linux audience watching this Forum with interest!!).

C'mon Microsoft ... persuade me that I should stay with WHS ...

Colin P.

Sunday, March 2, 2008 5:30 AM
  • Hi tnslocum - we'd like to investigate, could you please contact me at whsforum@microsoft.com ?

Also, as Ken mentioned earlier, if you have experienced corruption, *please* contact us using the email address in this post.

The Windows Home Server team is taking this issue very seriously and every example of corruption will aid the ongoing development of the fix to this issue - your participation is paramount to having a quality end result. Addressing this issue is our highest priority, but we need your help. Please review this thread for additional information.

Thank you for participating in the community forums!

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 1:04 AM
  • Hi Marc,

I have just contacted you and visited the link in your comment.  And it does sound like you are taking this seriously.  But, I just do not agree with the statement in the link that this only occurs with files that are edited on the server.  And I think that it should be made clear so that people do not loose data.

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 1:48 AM
  • I've duplicated the corruption now 3 times. 

Monday, March 31, 2008 5:24 PM