auto updates RRS feed

• Question

•  

installed auto updates that windows live one care wanted, and computer got stuck in a boot loop.  had to boot in safe mode and restore to yesterday to make things work.  what was the updated that did this, and how do i get rid of it, and how do i get the stupid little shield to green so i know when new updates, that hopefully won't cause trouble are available?
    Sunday, May 11, 2008 10:08 PM

Answers

• You can see your update history by going to Windows Update.

You can also go to Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs and click Show Updates to see the updates that have been installed.

To reverse the updates that were applied and troubleshoot which may have been the problem, use System Restore to restore the PC to a time prior to the installation of the udpates. Then visit Windows Update to view available critical and important updates. Select them one at a time to install and reboot as needed after each. If the problem reappears after the installation of one of the updates, you'll know that's the one you need help with.

OneCare requires that Windows Automatic Update be set to automatically download and install. You can delay the install to a time specified by you - set this under the AU settings. You cannot set AU to download and notify as OneCare won't accept that as a valid setting.

-steve

Monday, May 12, 2008 2:28 PM

All replies

• You can see your update history by going to Windows Update.

You can also go to Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs and click Show Updates to see the updates that have been installed.

To reverse the updates that were applied and troubleshoot which may have been the problem, use System Restore to restore the PC to a time prior to the installation of the udpates. Then visit Windows Update to view available critical and important updates. Select them one at a time to install and reboot as needed after each. If the problem reappears after the installation of one of the updates, you'll know that's the one you need help with.

OneCare requires that Windows Automatic Update be set to automatically download and install. You can delay the install to a time specified by you - set this under the AU settings. You cannot set AU to download and notify as OneCare won't accept that as a valid setting.

-steve

Monday, May 12, 2008 2:28 PM
  • Is your PC an HP or a Compaq with an AMD processor and Windows XP?

If so, it might be a known issue that's occuring when updating to XP SP3 on some of these systems due to the way their original installation image was created.

Let us know and I'll point you at a known set of fixes if so.

OneCareBear

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 2:44 AM
  • I read some more about the issue OneCareBear is referring to above and it apparently does not only affect AMD computers. See http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?p=187790 for more information, though I don't know if that's the link that explains that other than AMD based PCs are impacted.

-steve

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 1:20 PM
  • AFAIK, it's only AMD processor based PCs that are affected, because it's the installation of an Intel module that creates the issue. This usually occured because the same images were used by a vendor for both Intel and AMD based systems, which fails since the Intelppm driver shouldn't be installed with an AMD processor present.

What Steve may have meant is that it isn't limited to HP/Compaq, since other vendors have also done this in the past. I only specified HP because the greatest number affected seem to be from this vendor.

It's also possible that other issues such as video card drivers or even something completely unrelated could be causing your issue, this just seemed the most likely since Windows XP SP3 was the most recently released update.

OneCareBear

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 5:41 PM
  • Doh Of course, you're correct. What I read was that the limitation was not HP/Compaq. Thanks for clarifying.

-steve

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 6:20 PM