Archiving not working RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am running MS Money Plus Sunset. I have quite a bit of data (a large number of transactions in many accounts) since I use this for business. I need to archive data prior to 2014. I have done this in the past (probably with a previous version of the software) with no problems. Now, when I try to archive, it creates the archive file but my main file is messed up. It does not archive transactions in my main account (even though I select all accounts in the archive dialog box) and I am not sure if it does not archive all or just some. In any case, as a result, my balances end up being way off.

Is there some sort of fix or a workaround? May be manual archiving? Any other tips/suggestions?

Thank you.

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 11:04 AM

All replies

• Have a look at these pages that discuss archiving:

http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/66.aspx

http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/250.aspx

http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=184

Although archiving appeals to some people's sense of neatness, it generally doesn't reduce the size of the Money file very much or speed things up.  Users report good performance with 50Mb files.  Is yours a lot larger than that?  Did you find benefits from your past experience with archiving?

Bill Becker

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 1:33 PM
  • Bill,

Thank you for the reply and the links. I have read through them before. The need is more of a business need than a size consideration. I need to be able to truncate the data from past years to ensure integrity and access rights.

Thank you.

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 1:43 PM
  • The Archive process removes non-investment transactions from before a specified date and adjusts the OpeningBalance of each account to compensate for removed transactions. The archive file is a copy of the file before the process changes the file.

What kind of account is the main account? Checking. Investment? If investment, is the account possibly marked as a Watch account?

I doubt this is going to be helpful, because you have archived to your satisfaction previously. Maybe a standard level 2 file repair before or after archiving could help. I have no specific reason to think that is going to help

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 7:25 PM
  • Hi,

I have tried Level 2 repair but it did not help (also, the log was empty, saying that there were no broken transactions).

The account I am having issue with is "Cash or Other". Also, this account, while is used as the main account, is not in the same currency as the base currency for the file. In general, there are accounts in 3 different currencies. Could that somehow cause problems? But again, in the past (way past, like 5 years ago) I had no problems archiving this same file.

When I do the archive now, I notice that not all (or maybe none) of the transactions are deleted, since I still see them in accounts.

Thanks.

Wednesday, March 18, 2015 11:59 AM
  • Just to make sure--- you want to look at the file that does not have the word "archive" in the name. I doubt that is the deal, but I thought I would throw it out.
    Thursday, March 19, 2015 4:02 AM
  • Correct. The file named archive contains all my data. But the "original" mny file all sorts of messed up. If there is no way to get the archiving going, is there another way to delete a large number of transactions? I would set the starting balance by hand and then just delete everything from the last 5 years. 

Thanks.

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 7:03 AM
  • Since it sounds like you're trying to scrub some of your old data (clean up the books), you might actually be better off importing what you DO want into a brand new mny file instead.  As Cal & Bill have mentioned, archiving doesn't really function as one would expect.
    • Edited by ameridan Tuesday, March 24, 2015 12:45 PM
    Tuesday, March 24, 2015 12:45 PM
  • How would I go about importing only transactions starting on a certain date?

Also, I am assuming all my other settings (such a "favorite reports", of which I have quite a few) would have to be recreated from scratch?

Thank you.

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 1:01 PM
  • Sorry Max;  I guess that option isn't any better than archiving.  I've only had experience exporting to "Tax Program" where you get to select the date range and desired transactions, but the generic export isn't as robust.
    Tuesday, March 24, 2015 1:49 PM
  • Thanks anyways. If anyone has any other ideas on how to get it to work, I would greatly appreciate it.
    Tuesday, March 24, 2015 2:37 PM
  • How would I go about importing only transactions starting on a certain date?

You would do a QIF export, modify QIF file(s), and then import into a new Money file. This method can be used for various purposes including changing from one version-- even between countries.

If you want to do the QIF export/import, first export all accounts to Loose QIF
     files, one at a time.  I would suggest this: start the name of the QIF file for the investment
     accounts with an underscore (_), and start the name of QIF files for the cash
     accounts associated with the investments with a letter.  Thus you might have
     _BrownInvestment.qif and BrownInvestmentCash.qif.  This would cause the
     investment account to be processed prior to the associated cash account.  When
     the BrownInvestment got created, you would specify that you want to track the
     cash transactions.  Then specify that the cash transactions account for
     BrownInvestment was where the BrownInvestmentCash.qif transactions get sent.

Here is the modification step: edit each QIF file with a text editor (such as Notepad). Do not use a word processor, such as Word.
    You must keep the first line in the file. That line will start with a ! character. Note that each transaction ends with a line that contains just a ^ character plus the newline character(which does not show as a character). Each transaction starts on a line that starts with D, which is the date. Note that the transactions are in date order with oldest first. Delete whole transactions down to the first date that you want to keep. Save each modified file.

Back to the regular QIF export+import procedure:
    Create a new Money file with
    File->New->NewFile.
    Name it something like From2011.mny.

Click Next.

Select (*)I don't want to use a password.
    Next.
    On page titled "Add your accounts", click "Skip account setup." if you want to wait until the QIF import to create the accounts. Alternatively you could create empty accounts at this point, and then you will have those to choose from during the QIF import.
    On page titled "Congratulations" click Finish.

Then you could try your same import. Money should then ask about an account. Let Money create an account, and see what shows up.

To switch back to your regular file, Click File and select your real file from the list at the bottom of the drop-down list.

Then
     File->Import->RecoverAccounts using Ctrl+<click> to select each and all of the
     QIF files that you made. Make sure that you understand and follow this step. Then click Import.

Money should then ask about an account as the files are processed. Let Money create an account that you will provide the name for. Since you gave the QIF files meaningful names, you should know what to name the account. Since you started the filename for any investment accounts with a '_', I expect them to come in first.

As an alternative to modifying each starting balance, you could put one single compensating transaction into each account that has a running balance, that pre-dates the other transactions. That way it is easy to see in the register, and easy to modify if you got it wrong.

Take notes. The above description was based on a particular version of Money, so there could be some variation. Let us know how it goes.

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 3:17 PM
  • Thank you for the detailed response!

However, it looks like When exporting/recovering Custom Classes (Class1 and Class2) do not get exported/imported, which makes this option unusable for me. 

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 3:59 PM
  • One more possibility.  Have you applied the mnyob99.dll update as described in:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d28d6921-1f01-430f-b33e-f5a3ec47077b/money-plus-bug-and-solution-mnyob99dll?forum=money

If not, it's worth a try and it's a good thing to do anyway because it does fix a bug in Money Plus Sunset.

Bill Becker

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 8:13 PM
  • Also, this article:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/178830

seems to say that a qif export/import should preserve the classification group information as long as you don't select "Strict QIF Compatability" when you do the export.

Bill Becker

Wednesday, March 25, 2015 12:57 AM