PS 2010 Changing Plan Owner RRS feed

• Question

• In PWA (2010) you cannot change the plan owner unless they heave elevated permissions.  Being member of the project managers group is insufficent. PWA returnes a warning:

The selected project owner cannot be assigned because the resource does not have the Save permission on the project.

Can be resolved by setting save permission on My Organisation category for PM group but this is unsatisfactory.

rgds

Mike

Wednesday, September 8, 2010 1:36 PM

Answers

• Hi Mike,

in Project Center you can give additional permissions on project level. This can be done by project manager or an administrator. On that level, you can define single users to have any additional permission - like save project. After adding the new PM and give him save permissions, you can define him as owner.

What I did in general, was to create a new category. I defined "The Project Owner has the same RBS value as the User" and "<label for="idChkProjectsManagedByManaged">The Project Owner is a descendant of the User via RBS</label>" for projects and gave save-permissions for project manager group for this category. So I don't need any additional steps to change project owner as long as the new one is the manager or has the same RBS value.

Regards
    Barbara

Wednesday, September 8, 2010 3:06 PM

All replies

• Hi Mike,

it is possible if you give this permission first by using "Project Permissions" in PWA.

Hope that helps?
    Barbara

Wednesday, September 8, 2010 1:46 PM
  • Hi Barbara

Not sure which exact permission you are referring to.

Normal expectation with oob configuration is the ability to change ownership to another pm, but this doesn't work in 2010. If you give PM group Save Project to Project Server against My Organisation, then you can change owners, but if they also have 'Open Project" (View), this I think would mess up typical security model.

rgds

Mike

Wednesday, September 8, 2010 2:55 PM
  • Hi Mike,

in Project Center you can give additional permissions on project level. This can be done by project manager or an administrator. On that level, you can define single users to have any additional permission - like save project. After adding the new PM and give him save permissions, you can define him as owner.

What I did in general, was to create a new category. I defined "The Project Owner has the same RBS value as the User" and "<label for="idChkProjectsManagedByManaged">The Project Owner is a descendant of the User via RBS</label>" for projects and gave save-permissions for project manager group for this category. So I don't need any additional steps to change project owner as long as the new one is the manager or has the same RBS value.

Regards
    Barbara

Wednesday, September 8, 2010 3:06 PM
  • Hi Barabara

We have switched off project permissions (causes chaos for our security model). Also we are not using an RBS. So I guess I will set up a temporary group\category and assign new owner to that group, make the change, then remove him, until Microsoft sort it out.

rgds

Mike

Thursday, September 9, 2010 11:14 AM
  • Hi Mike,

not using RBS, I have currently also no additional idea. Good luck!

Barbara

Thursday, September 9, 2010 12:30 PM
  • Mike:

That's the 2007 way!

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Thursday, September 9, 2010 4:40 PM
  • Hi Barbara

Not sure which exact permission you are referring to.

Normal expectation with oob configuration is the ability to change ownership to another pm, but this doesn't work in 2010. If you give PM group Save Project to Project Server against My Organisation, then you can change owners, but if they also have 'Open Project" (View), this I think would mess up typical security model.

rgds

Mike

In order to become the owner of a project, the user needs to be able to save it. If anybody needs to be a potential owner for any project it means that everybody needs to be able to save all projects in the DB. The easiest way to acchieve this is to create a new category that includes all current and future projects, put all your users in a new group and grant that group ONLY Save Project for that category.
    Saturday, September 11, 2010 8:11 AM
  • Hi Marius

You could do that, but in many systems PM's often have viewing rights for all projects (Open Project), in which case with this arrangement they will have full edit capability on all projects. What Gary is referring to was a similar problem on 2007 where the fudge was to have a  group as you suggest but only add the required used; make the ownership change; and then remove the user.

rgds

Mike

Monday, September 13, 2010 11:35 AM
  • Hi Sleekstone,

in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2459112, there is a change described:

"In Project Server 2010, you try to change the owner for a project in the Project Information Project Detail Page (PDP). However, you cannot change the project owner in the Owner field when the new owner does not have the Save permission on the project."

I haven't had a chance to test so far, perhaps it will solve your issue?

Regards
    Barbara

Friday, December 31, 2010 9:12 AM
  • Hi Barbara and Sleekstone,

Here is the good news- the Dec CU has been released with the provision to set the Project Owner even if the user doesn't have the Save Project permissions. Due to the load of work i didnt get a chance to try it yesterday, since the CU has been released on 31st, but now i want to tell you all that i have tried it and its working like a charm :)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2459258

I hope it helps.

| Khurram Jamshed | Follow my blog about Enterprise Project Management Solution | http://khurramjamshed.blogspot.com |
    Sunday, January 2, 2011 5:53 AM