Drive pool/storage space problem RRS feed

• Question

• I am running a home built server and almost everything seems to be working fine.  The issue I have is I have 3 750gb drives.  1 is the system and the other 2 are in the storage pool.  The problem that I am having is that one of the storage drives is currently at 97% full (less than 20gb free) and the other drive is empty (698gb free out of 698gb).  In the server storage tab, it lists all 3 drives as being healthy and under the disk mgmt tab it also lists all 3 drives as healthy, but one drive is full and the other is empty.  Currently I have all my stuff in the standard share folders.  I thought that WHS would use both of those drives equally as my files were added to the storage pool.  That has not happened.  I am kinda at a loss since I can't find anything about this weird occurance.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Russ
    Sunday, July 6, 2008 11:44 PM

All replies

•  Subiewrx wrote:
    I am running a home built server and almost everything seems to be working fine.  The issue I have is I have 3 750gb drives.  1 is the system and the other 2 are in the storage pool.  The problem that I am having is that one of the storage drives is currently at 97% full (less than 20gb free) and the other drive is empty (698gb free out of 698gb).  In the server storage tab, it lists all 3 drives as being healthy and under the disk mgmt tab it also lists all 3 drives as healthy, but one drive is full and the other is empty.  Currently I have all my stuff in the standard share folders.  I thought that WHS would use both of those drives equally as my files were added to the storage pool.

No, it doesn't.  It's working as designed.  For a detailed explanation, please check the Technical Brief for Windows Home Server Drive Extender (page 17 has the specific info you need, but the entire document is a good read for people wanting to understand how WHS works).

Subiewrx wrote:
    That has not happened.  I am kinda at a loss since I can't find anything about this weird occurance.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Russ

Sunday, July 6, 2008 11:56 PM
  • So basically since my first 698gb drive is almost full, I can no longer use the standard shared folder(s)??

So say all of my drives are 700gb to keep things simple.  If I have over 800gb of movies, I can only put the first 700 in the video folder, and then I need to create another folder for the rest of it??  In other words, your shared folder(s) can only be as large as the drive the system uses for the WHS shared data or a WHS shared folder can not keep data on 2 different drives??  I would like to continue to add to the system folders without having to create new folders once the first storage drive fills up.

Russ
    Monday, July 7, 2008 12:20 AM
  •  Subiewrx wrote:
    So basically since my first 698gb drive is almost full, I can no longer use the standard shared folder(s)??

No, that's incorrect.  You can still use the network shares.

Subiewrx wrote:
    So say all of my drives are 700gb to keep things simple.  If I have over 800gb of movies, I can only put the first 700 in the video folder, and then I need to create another folder for the rest of it??

No, that's not correct.

Subiewrx wrote:
    In other words, your shared folder(s) can only be as large as the drive the system uses for the WHS shared data or a WHS shared folder can not keep data on 2 different drives??

Nope, that's also not correct.

Subiewrx wrote:
    I would like to continue to add to the system folders without having to create new folders once the first storage drive fills up.

Russ

WHS moves all of your data in the background.  It takes multiple, different-size drives and creates the illusion of "one big drive" through the network shares.  My suggestion would be to read the DE document I linked to before (or click here for a starting point about WHS).  (However, I will say this: don't think of it as a "normal" computer/server because it does not work like that.  In fact, there are some changes you can make from the server desktop that could completely mess up your WHS installation and force you to reinstall.)

Monday, July 7, 2008 12:34 AM
  • So if I push it over the drive size it is supposed to go onto the next drive??  I know I have received the warning message because the drive is full, but I have never tried to push it over the edge to see what it does.  I will have to give that a try tonight.

Russ

Monday, July 7, 2008 4:15 PM
  •  Subiewrx wrote:
    So if I push it over the drive size it is supposed to go onto the next drive??

That depends on what you mean by over the drive size.  It should take the files you copy and distribute them to a secondary drive in the background (space permitting on those secondary drives, of course).  It should use the primary drive last (in terms of storage).  Basically, don't worry about what the underlying OS (Server 2003) says about free space.  Just worry about what the WHS Console says about free space.

Subiewrx wrote:
    I know I have received the warning message because the drive is full, but I have never tried to push it over the edge to see what it does.

What exactly did the error message say?  You may have a problem with Drive Extender.

Subiewrx wrote:
    I will have to give that a try tonight.

Russ

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 12:21 AM
  • Ok, I will try to better explain what I have.  I have 3 750gb hard drives.  The system drive is fine, about 25-30gb used (20 system and the rest are the tombstones).  The next drive is a pool drive.  Currently is has 680gb of the 698gb used.  I also have a 3rd drive that is also attached to the pool.  it has .3gb used out of the 698gb total.  The only shares that I am currently running are the stock WHS folders.  I do get a message about the drive that is almost full, but I don't remember what it is off hand, I will have to check tonight.  I was originally under the inpression that WHS would distribute my data accross both storage pool drives instead of dumping everything onto 1 drive.  I have seen screen shots of other systems that have multiple drives and they have a little bit in each drive, where I have everything in 1 drive and nothing on the other.

What I have seen, is that if I creat a new shared folder, I can dump data onto the other drive.  What I was concered about was the fact that I have about 230gb worth of movies in my video folder and what is going to happen once I try to put more into that folder and the drive is almost full.  I don't want to get a constant drive full message when its not really my fault.  I have 2tb worth of space and WHS is dumping everything onto 1 drive.  I did ready a article about how WHS controls data and things do seem to be running normally.  I may try to move the limits in the registry to give me a bit more head room so one of my drives is not always red because I have less than 20gb free.

Again, thanks for the help.

Russ

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 6:41 PM
  •  Subiewrx wrote:
    Ok, I will try to better explain what I have.  I have 3 750gb hard drives.  The system drive is fine, about 25-30gb used (20 system and the rest are the tombstones).  The next drive is a pool drive.  Currently is has 680gb of the 698gb used.  I also have a 3rd drive that is also attached to the pool.  it has .3gb used out of the 698gb total.  The only shares that I am currently running are the stock WHS folders.  I do get a message about the drive that is almost full, but I don't remember what it is off hand, I will have to check tonight.

Please do, that message is very important.

Subiewrx wrote:
    I was originally under the inpression that WHS would distribute my data accross both storage pool drives instead of dumping everything onto 1 drive.

Nope, that's not how it works.  Please read the document I referred to before for a detailed explanation of how (and why) it is the way it is.

Subiewrx wrote:
    I have seen screen shots of other systems that have multiple drives and they have a little bit in each drive, where I have everything in 1 drive and nothing on the other.

They most likely deleted some files.  (It won't move files around once on a secondary drive unless absolutely necessary.)

Subiewrx wrote:
    What I have seen, is that if I creat a new shared folder, I can dump data onto the other drive.  What I was concered about was the fact that I have about 230gb worth of movies in my video folder and what is going to happen once I try to put more into that folder and the drive is almost full.

Have you tried it yet?  If you haven't, please do.

Subiewrx wrote:
    I don't want to get a constant drive full message when its not really my fault.

Again, the message you're seeing is crucial.  It's crucial to know exactly where you are seeing it and what it says.

Subiewrx wrote:
    I have 2tb worth of space and WHS is dumping everything onto 1 drive.  I did ready a article about how WHS controls data and things do seem to be running normally.  I may try to move the limits in the registry to give me a bit more head room so one of my drives is not always red because I have less than 20gb free.

I would strongly advise against doing that.

Subiewrx wrote:
    Again, thanks for the help.

Russ

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 7:30 PM