windows live one care says my disk is too fragmented to defragment RRS feed

• Question

•  

my defrag utility runs regularly and dosn't tell me it failed or anything for that matter (don't like vista's lack of info with defrag) but live one care says too fragmented to defragment what's the problem here?
    Saturday, March 22, 2008 8:09 AM

Answers

• The problem is that OneCare does a timed defrag and doesn't analyze the disk first. On a large disk, the time runs out before the process completes, hence the message. Ignore it. Even if it completed perfectly, the file system immediately fragments again due to the way the file system works. In my opinion, Onecare should *never* display that message at the end of the Tune-up unless it fails due to a problem.

-steve

Monday, March 24, 2008 1:56 AM

All replies

• The problem is that OneCare does a timed defrag and doesn't analyze the disk first. On a large disk, the time runs out before the process completes, hence the message. Ignore it. Even if it completed perfectly, the file system immediately fragments again due to the way the file system works. In my opinion, Onecare should *never* display that message at the end of the Tune-up unless it fails due to a problem.

-steve

Monday, March 24, 2008 1:56 AM
  • when is this issue gonna be patched/fixed? I am sorry but on a new program, with a new system, this is unacceptable. I guess the only real fix is to not renew the subscription if it isn't fixed by that time T minus 10 months

Saturday, April 5, 2008 9:25 PM
  • Ignore the warning in the Tune-up report. It isn't a program problem with your PC, but a messaging problem in OneCare, in my opinion. I'm sorry, but this yellow warning on the report is an annoyance, not a reason to consider OneCare not worth renewing.

-steve

Sunday, April 6, 2008 1:59 PM