Windows update fail | File corrupt dialog when run power pack 1 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I run into a problem. I cannot update my whs from the windows update web site. All the updates failed.

I tried to download a pair for install manually but I receive the windows error dialog "File Corrupt"

I tried to execute a "power pack 1" with the same result.

I appreciate any help

Saturday, February 6, 2010 2:12 AM

Answers

• Is this an own build? I would recommend you start over again with a Server Recovery as it appears you have some trouble that is not easily fixed if the system won't update.  I would first confirm that Windows Update is working on other machines in your network before going down this route though.

All the best,
    Al

--
    • Proposed as answer by Al West Saturday, February 6, 2010 1:16 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jonas Svensson -FST- Thursday, February 11, 2010 1:33 AM
    Saturday, February 6, 2010 2:43 AM

All replies

• Is this an own build? I would recommend you start over again with a Server Recovery as it appears you have some trouble that is not easily fixed if the system won't update.  I would first confirm that Windows Update is working on other machines in your network before going down this route though.

All the best,
    Al

--
    • Proposed as answer by Al West Saturday, February 6, 2010 1:16 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jonas Svensson -FST- Thursday, February 11, 2010 1:33 AM
    Saturday, February 6, 2010 2:43 AM
  • Yes, this is an installation made on an HP computer. I install it.
    Other machines in the network can access windows update without problems.
    The machine with WHS also access windows update. The problem occurs when you try to download updates.

regards
    Saturday, February 6, 2010 11:37 AM
  • I'm with Al on this: try a server recovery, and make very certain you're using the right network drive3rs for the computer you're installing on. The drivers you should be using are for Windows Server 2003 (if the computer manufacturer makes them available) otherwise for Windows XP.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, February 6, 2010 1:14 PM
  • Al, this is my own installation. I don't have a rescue disk. I can try reinstalling ths operating system. Are you say that i have to reinstall?

gabriel

Saturday, February 6, 2010 1:57 PM
  • A server recovery exactly means nothing else than booting from the WHS DVD and select a Server Reinstallation (if it is offered). Since a fresh installation would format all disks, only this method allows to keep the data.
    Before you could try to login to the desktop, stop the service Automatic Updates and delete/rename the folder SoftwareDistribution in the Windows folder on the server.
    Reboot and try again.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, February 6, 2010 5:39 PM