Win 10 and Money 2005-UKQFE2 corrupt file? RRS feed

• Question

• Upgraded Win 7 to Win10 running MS Money 2005-UKQFE2 and  followed all instruction registry changes and got it working. However cannot open an existing mny money file. can create new mny file ok and these work ok. but existing file starts to open fails. tried both restore and repair and still does not work, any way to fix this issue?
    Monday, August 10, 2015 9:16 PM

Answers

• hi, Thank you for your help. Now fixed. opened the data file on my XP machine and used the MS Money in build file repair tool to clean up the data file. I then moved the file back to my Windows 10 machine and was now able to open the MS Money data file. HAPPY DAYS. 
    Thursday, August 13, 2015 6:09 PM

All replies

• Win 10 32-bit or 64-bit?

Keep a copy of your backups and *.mny files on different media in case you overwrite something or your hard drive crashes. What are the dates of your backup files? I hope you did not overwrite a good backup with a bad backup.

When you try to restore your newest and second-newest backup, what happens?
    Did you try the *.reg file described inhttps://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/66dd0454-699c-4ff4-8ccb-5a890e1dc089/a-way-to-make-the-windows-10-registry-internet-explorer-error-message-workaround-posted-by-immad-in?forum=money to do the registry change?
    What happens when you try to open your *.mny file?

Monday, August 10, 2015 9:41 PM
  • MS money will run ok (done the registry fix). so can run Money and can create new data file but cannot open existing data file. can open it on a XP machine with the same version on MS Money. I checked that there are no read only permissions set on the folder. when trying to open the old existing data file it becomes stuck with "compacting file" dialogue box then stops trying to open the file after a couple of minutes.
    Tuesday, August 11, 2015 8:49 PM
  • win 10 64 bit

Tuesday, August 11, 2015 9:05 PM
  • MS money will run ok (done the registry fix). so can run Money and can create new data file but cannot open existing data file. can open it on a XP machine with the same version on MS Money. I checked that there are no read only permissions set on the folder. when trying to open the old existing data file it becomes stuck with "compacting file" dialogue box then stops trying to open the file after a couple of minutes.

I am don't recognize the  "compacting file" message. What is the actual message.

If you save the *.mny Money file on the XP computer and close Money, copy the file to a flash drive,  copy it to the Documents folder on the new computer, and then open Money by right-clicking on that copy and choosing Open -- what happens?

Tuesday, August 11, 2015 9:16 PM
  • tried that and get the same problem
    Wednesday, August 12, 2015 6:12 PM
  • hi, Thank you for your help. Now fixed. opened the data file on my XP machine and used the MS Money in build file repair tool to clean up the data file. I then moved the file back to my Windows 10 machine and was now able to open the MS Money data file. HAPPY DAYS. 
    Thursday, August 13, 2015 6:09 PM
  • I tried MS Money 2005 UK version on Windows 10 on avirtual machine before I upgrade. I had to apply the registry fix but had no problems opening my large MS Money file.
    Friday, August 14, 2015 7:21 AM