locked
add-in - uninstallation failed RRS feed

  • Question

  • I have 2 add-ins listed in the installed add-in list that are no longer on my system. They were uninstalled using remote desktop using add/remove programs one program as per the upgrade instructions (lights out add-in) and the second (Asoft add-in) because the uninstall in the console would not work. 

    I have removed the associated directories. I have also tried Windows Installer Cleanup but neither of them are listed there as installed add-ins.

    Obviously the add-in markers are still being loaded by the registry but the routines are not there in WHS and the unistall routine in the add-ins section of Console returns "uninstallation failed".

    Although there don't seem to be any ill effects of these 2 entries in the installed add-in list I was wondering if there is any easy way to get rid of them.
      
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 7:33 PM

All replies

  • There's no "easy" way, no. You can do some unsupported poking around in the registry to excise the leftovers (more information is available if you do a search in the forums), or you can take the supported, relatively safe route of a server reinstallation. (Note: for the add-ins you mention, you should also seek assistance from the add-in authors.)

    The issue you're experiencing is a known consequence of uninstalling add-ins in an unsupported way, and is one of many reasons why the moderators here hammer so relentlessly on the idea that you should use Remote Desktop only in extremis

    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 8:44 PM
    Moderator
  • Would reinstalling the add-ins through the WHS Console and then uninstalling them through the Console clear them?  I tried this on a test box, but I couldn't get any "Phantom" entries to remain in the Console to try the reinstall/uninstall.

    --
    ______________
    BullDawg
    Associate Expert
    In God We Trust
    ______________
     
    "Ken Warren" <=?utf-8?B?S2VuIFdhcnJlbg==?=> wrote in message news:7392aba6-dd9e-4b9 a-a7af-b98a261bc6ff...
    There's no "easy" way, no. You can do some unsupported poking around in the registry to excise the leftovers (more information is available if you do a search in the forums), or you can take the supported, relatively safe route of a server reinstallation. (Note: for the add-ins you mention, you should also seek assistance from the add-in authors.)

    The issue you're experiencing is a known consequence of uninstalling add-ins in an unsupported way, and is one of many reasons why the moderators here hammer so relentlessly on the idea that you should use Remote Desktop only in extremis

    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

    BullDawg
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 9:43 PM
  • You'll typically see this behavior only if you install an add-in properly, then uninstall it using Add or Remove Programs. It doesn't leave a "phantom" tab in the console, but it will normally block the reinstallation of the add-in, the installation of a new version, etc.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 10:04 PM
    Moderator
  • If it are just the entries in the 'Installed Addins' that you need to have removed, then you can use my tool: http://www.asoft.be/prod_addincleanup.html
    This will clean the registry and remove them + create a backup (just in case...)

    Cheers,
    Nick
    Friday, February 5, 2010 6:52 AM